RE: [toad] Re: Unable to open/start new TOAD freeware version 11.6

  • Brad Boddicker
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
      If you browse to your app data folder, do you see a set of folder created for 11.6 freeware? The path will look similar to this: C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.6 Freeware

      If so, go in to the freeware folder and then user files sub-folder. Open Toad.ini and enter this line under the [settings] section: debug=1

      Launch Toad again then go back to this folder and see if there is a file called ToadDebug.txt, if so, please send it to me off-line (brad.boddicker@...)

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
        Hi Brad,
        Thanks for the clear direction on the path for the app data folder. Yes, all of those folders exist and I was able to open and edit the Toad.ini file under [settings]. Unfortunately, after I launched Toad again, I did not see/find a ToadDebug.txt file.
        Specifically I tried these 3 changes to the ini file:
        1. Add new line debug=1 so that it looked like this:
        [SETTINGS]
        debug=1
        DebuggerOption=0
        2. Deleted that new line and just set DebuggerOption=1 like this:
        [SETTINGS]
        DebuggerOption=1
        3. Added a new line debug=1 after the DebuggerOption like this:
        [SETTINGS]
        DebuggerOption=0
        debug=1

        Toad.exe did briefly show up in Task Manager when I launched.
        Thanks for your suggestions,
        Candy

        --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Brad Boddicker <Bradley.Boddicker@...> wrote:

        > If you browse to your app data folder, do you see a set of folder created for 11.6 freeware? The path will look similar to this: C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.6 Freeware
        >
        > If so, go in to the freeware folder and then user files sub-folder. Open Toad.ini and enter this line under the [settings] section: debug=1
        >
        > Launch Toad again then go back to this folder and see if there is a file called ToadDebug.txt, if so, please send it to me off-line (brad.boddicker@...)

      • Norman Dunbar
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
          Hi Candy,

          I followed your instructions and downloaded and installed FreeToad 32
          bit on my XP test box. (Ok, it's a VirtualBox VM!).

          When I double clicked, I too saw an hourglass cursor for a second, then
          it reverted to normal, but then, Toad loaded ok.

          Seeing as how your attempt at creating a debug file also failed, I
          assume that what you are seeing is Toad not starting at all.

          Do you have Toad 32 bit installed on a 64 bit machine? I assume so as
          you said you installed 64 bit Toad.?

          If so, where did it install? There have been problems because Windows 64
          bit, puts 32 bit apps into something like 'c:\program files (x86)' - and
          the spaces/brackets cause no end of problems.

          Try a wipe and reinstall into something without those nasty path names.
          Just in case.

          HTH

          --
          Cheers,
          Norm. [TeamT]
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
            OK, like Norm said, it's pretty clear Toad is not starting at all. At some point these app data folders were created though. Try deleting the app data folder named 11.6 Freeware and try again. When you uninstall Toad, this folder is supposed to get renamed, but sometimes this doesn't happen. You could be looking at a corrupt file in app data.

            Thanks for the clear direction on the path for the app data folder. Yes, all of those folders exist and I was able to open and edit the Toad.ini file under [settings]. Unfortunately, after I launched Toad again, I did not see/find a ToadDebug.txt file.
            Specifically I tried these 3 changes to the ini file:
            1. Add new line debug=1 so that it looked like this:
            [SETTINGS]
            debug=1
            DebuggerOption=0
            2. Deleted that new line and just set DebuggerOption=1 like this:
            [SETTINGS]
            DebuggerOption=1
            3. Added a new line debug=1 after the DebuggerOption like this:
            [SETTINGS]
            DebuggerOption=0
            debug=1

            Toad.exe did briefly show up in Task Manager when I launched.
            Thanks for your suggestions,
            Candy

            --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Brad Boddicker <Bradley.Boddicker@...> wrote:

            > If you browse to your app data folder, do you see a set of folder created for 11.6 freeware? The path will look similar to this: C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.6 Freeware
            >
            > If so, go in to the freeware folder and then user files sub-folder. Open Toad.ini and enter this line under the [settings] section: debug=1
            >
            > Launch Toad again then go back to this folder and see if there is a file called ToadDebug.txt, if so, please send it to me off-line (brad.boddicker@...)

          • socrhouston
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
              Hi Norm,
              Yes, you're correct - I have Toad 32-bit installed on 64-bit Windows 7 machine.
              Yep, it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). For context, that is the same folder where previous versions 11 and 11.5 were installed on this machine. (And past smooth success is part of what makes this current problem so baffling!)
              Thanks to you and Brad for your suggestions. I'll try deleting the existing appdata folder first, then try completely uninstalling and reinstalling in a different location.
              Will let you know!
              Candy

              --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Norman Dunbar <toad@...> wrote:

              > Hi Candy,
              >
              > I followed your instructions and downloaded and installed FreeToad 32
              > bit on my XP test box. (Ok, it's a VirtualBox VM!).
              >
              > When I double clicked, I too saw an hourglass cursor for a second, then
              > it reverted to normal, but then, Toad loaded ok.
              >
              > Seeing as how your attempt at creating a debug file also failed, I
              > assume that what you are seeing is Toad not starting at all.
              >
              > Do you have Toad 32 bit installed on a 64 bit machine? I assume so as
              > you said you installed 64 bit Toad.?
              >
              > If so, where did it install? There have been problems because Windows 64
              > bit, puts 32 bit apps into something like 'c:\program files (x86)' - and
              > the spaces/brackets cause no end of problems.
              >
              > Try a wipe and reinstall into something without those nasty path names.
              > Just in case.
              >
              > HTH
              >

              > --
              > Cheers,
              > Norm. [TeamT]

            • socrhouston
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                I deleted the 11.6 Freeware AppData folder, then ran the install again, selecting the repair option. Saw the same behavior when I launched Toad.
                Did see something interesting when I used Windows Explorer to search for Toad.exe (trying to be sure I didn't have random copies in other folders). The search found:
                a bunch of AppHang_Toad.exe_<numbers&letters>, AppCrash_Toad.exe_<numbers&letters> and Toad.exe.####.dmp files, in AppData folders with various date & timestamps across the last couple of days. I attempted to open the most recent dmp file in Notepad but certainly couldn't make sense of the gobbledegook - yeah, that's a technical term :)
                Seems significant but not sure what to do with it.
                Thoughts?
                Candy
                --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, "socrhouston" <chouston@...> wrote:

                > Hi Norm,
                > Yes, you're correct - I have Toad 32-bit installed on 64-bit Windows 7 machine.
                > Yep, it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). For context, that is the same folder where previous versions 11 and 11.5 were installed on this machine. (And past smooth success is part of what makes this current problem so baffling!)
                > Thanks to you and Brad for your suggestions. I'll try deleting the existing appdata folder first, then try completely uninstalling and reinstalling in a different location.
                > Will let you know!
                > Candy
                >
                > --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Norman Dunbar <toad@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Candy,
                > >
                > > I followed your instructions and downloaded and installed FreeToad 32
                > > bit on my XP test box. (Ok, it's a VirtualBox VM!).
                > >
                > > When I double clicked, I too saw an hourglass cursor for a second, then
                > > it reverted to normal, but then, Toad loaded ok.
                > >
                > > Seeing as how your attempt at creating a debug file also failed, I
                > > assume that what you are seeing is Toad not starting at all.
                > >
                > > Do you have Toad 32 bit installed on a 64 bit machine? I assume so as
                > > you said you installed 64 bit Toad.?
                > >
                > > If so, where did it install? There have been problems because Windows 64
                > > bit, puts 32 bit apps into something like 'c:\program files (x86)' - and
                > > the spaces/brackets cause no end of problems.
                > >
                > > Try a wipe and reinstall into something without those nasty path names.
                > > Just in case.
                > >
                > > HTH
                > >

                > > --
                > > Cheers,
                > > Norm. [TeamT]

              • Bert Scalzo
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013

                  What anti-virus are you using? Just for fun try turning off your anti-virus program for 10 minutes to launch toad (not reinstall – just for launch) ….

                  I deleted the 11.6 Freeware AppData folder, then ran the install again, selecting the repair option. Saw the same behavior when I launched Toad.
                  Did see something interesting when I used Windows Explorer to search for Toad.exe (trying to be sure I didn't have random copies in other folders). The search found:
                  a bunch of AppHang_Toad.exe_<numbers&letters>, AppCrash_Toad.exe_<numbers&letters> and Toad.exe.####.dmp files, in AppData folders with various date & timestamps across the last couple of days. I attempted to open the most recent dmp file in Notepad but certainly couldn't make sense of the gobbledegook - yeah, that's a technical term :)
                  Seems significant but not sure what to do with it.
                  Thoughts?
                  Candy

                  --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, "socrhouston" <chouston@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Norm,
                  > Yes, you're correct - I have Toad 32-bit installed on 64-bit Windows 7 machine.
                  > Yep, it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). For context, that is the same folder where previous versions 11 and 11.5 were installed on this machine. (And past smooth success is part of what makes this current problem so baffling!)
                  > Thanks to you and Brad for your suggestions. I'll try deleting the existing appdata folder first, then try completely uninstalling and reinstalling in a different location.
                  > Will let you know!
                  > Candy
                  >
                  > --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Norman Dunbar <toad@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Candy,
                  > >
                  > > I followed your instructions and downloaded and installed FreeToad 32
                  > > bit on my XP test box. (Ok, it's a VirtualBox VM!).
                  > >
                  > > When I double clicked, I too saw an hourglass cursor for a second, then
                  > > it reverted to normal, but then, Toad loaded ok.
                  > >
                  > > Seeing as how your attempt at creating a debug file also failed, I
                  > > assume that what you are seeing is Toad not starting at all.
                  > >
                  > > Do you have Toad 32 bit installed on a 64 bit machine? I assume so as
                  > > you said you installed 64 bit Toad.?
                  > >
                  > > If so, where did it install? There have been problems because Windows 64
                  > > bit, puts 32 bit apps into something like 'c:\program files (x86)' - and
                  > > the spaces/brackets cause no end of problems.
                  > >
                  > > Try a wipe and reinstall into something without those nasty path names.
                  > > Just in case.
                  > >
                  > > HTH
                  > >

                  > > --
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Norm. [TeamT]

                • socrhouston
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                    Microsoft Forefront Client Security. Thanks for the idea, Bert. I did turn the anti-virus/security completely off and then launched Toad again. It still didn't run, and it created another AppCrash folder and .dmp file :(

                    > What anti-virus are you using? Just for fun try turning off your anti-virus program for 10 minutes to launch toad (not reinstall - just for launch) ....

                  • Alan Counihan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                      Check that it runs in safe mode?

                      This will prove if its some service that's running is or preventing it from launching

                      Regards,
                      Alan

                      On 24 Apr 2013, at 19:37, "socrhouston" <chouston@...> wrote:

                      Microsoft Forefront Client Security. Thanks for the idea, Bert. I did turn the anti-virus/security completely off and then launched Toad again. It still didn't run, and it created another AppCrash folder and .dmp file :(

                      > What anti-virus are you using? Just for fun try turning off your anti-virus program for 10 minutes to launch toad (not reinstall - just for launch) ....

                    • Michael Staszewski
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                        Does it matter if you rt-click and "Run as administrator?"

                        Looking through the source there are several places where we intentionally shutdown Toad. Most of them that apply to freeware should display a message on the screen before exiting. The only two obvious places I see that would exit without a message are 1) if Toad detects a cracked key on disk or 2) under some command line actions. Is your shortcut just running Toad.exe or is it also adding command line parameters?

                        Microsoft Forefront Client Security. Thanks for the idea, Bert. I did turn the anti-virus/security completely off and then launched Toad again. It still didn't run, and it created another AppCrash folder and .dmp file :(

                        --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Bert Scalzo <bert.scalzo@...> wrote:

                        > What anti-virus are you using? Just for fun try turning off your anti-virus program for 10 minutes to launch toad (not reinstall - just for launch) ....

                      • socrhouston
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                          Trying "Run as Administrator" and it is at least thinking about it...got the initial Version 11.6 window. PROGRESS!
                          I don't see any command line params in the shortcut, just the path to the exe.
                          Will update you shortly!
                          Candy

                          --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Michael Staszewski <michael.staszewski@...> wrote:

                          > Does it matter if you rt-click and "Run as administrator?"
                          >
                          > Looking through the source there are several places where we intentionally shutdown Toad. Most of them that apply to freeware should display a message on the screen before exiting. The only two obvious places I see that would exit without a message are 1) if Toad detects a cracked key on disk or 2) under some command line actions. Is your shortcut just running Toad.exe or is it also adding command line parameters?

                        • Bert Scalzo
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013

                            Thanks for trying. We’ve had some issues in the past with some AV programs – so was worth a shot. Sorry it did not help.

                            Microsoft Forefront Client Security. Thanks for the idea, Bert. I did turn the anti-virus/security completely off and then launched Toad again. It still didn't run, and it created another AppCrash folder and .dmp file :(

                            > What anti-virus are you using? Just for fun try turning off your anti-virus program for 10 minutes to launch toad (not reinstall - just for launch) ....

                          • socrhouston
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                              Up and running and working fine using "Run as administrator". Thanks for that suggestion, Michael! I don't claim to understand it, but happy I can use it - hooray!

                            • Brad Boddicker
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                                Interesting. Do you have User Account Control turned on or at a high level?

                                Up and running and working fine using "Run as administrator". Thanks for that suggestion, Michael! I don't claim to understand it, but happy I can use it - hooray!

                                --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, "socrhouston" <chouston@...> wrote:

                                > Trying "Run as Administrator" and it is at least thinking about it...got the initial Version 11.6 window. PROGRESS!
                                > I don't see any command line params in the shortcut, just the path to the exe.
                                > Will update you shortly!
                                > Candy
                                >
                                > --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Michael Staszewski <michael.staszewski@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Does it matter if you rt-click and "Run as administrator?"
                                > >
                                > > Looking through the source there are several places where we intentionally shutdown Toad. Most of them that apply to freeware should display a message on the screen before exiting. The only two obvious places I see that would exit without a message are 1) if Toad detects a cracked key on disk or 2) under some command line actions. Is your shortcut just running Toad.exe or is it also adding command line parameters?

                              • socrhouston
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                                  I confess I had no idea until I checked when you asked. It is on "Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer". When I launched with Run as administrator, a dialog box did pop up asking me if I wanted to allow Toad to make changes to my computer...

                                • Brad Boddicker
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 24, 2013
                                    Turn that all the way down if you can. As Sweet Brown would say, "Ain't nobody got time for that"