Parallel Execution

  • MCALLISTER, MICHAEL CTR AU Contractor AET
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
      All

      I just finished reading a post titled "Pitfalls of Using Parallel Execution
      with SQL Developer" which can be found here:-

      http://structureddata.org/2012/02/29/pitfalls-of-using-parallel-execution-wi
      th-sql-developer/

      I'm not trying to start a "bash SQL Developer" thread here. What I'm
      interested in knowing is whether TOAD is susceptible to this same issue as
      well?

      Regards,

      Mike McAllister
      Principal Systems Engineer
      Decypher
      DSN: 487-3751
      Commercial: (210) 652-3751
      Cell: (512) 423-7447
      Email: michael.mcallister.2.ctr.au@...
    • Bert Scalzo
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
        There are Toad options (do search on parallel) to control this very thing - been in the product like 5+ years - but you need to set the option to disable this scenario.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
          The only item I found searching on "parallel" was:-

          Schema Browser -> Data Tab -> Use NOPARALLEL Hint

          Does this affect queries done in editor windows as well?

          Regards,

          Mike McAllister
          Principal Systems Engineer
          Decypher
          DSN: 487-3751
          Commercial: (210) 652-3751
          Cell: (512) 423-7447
          Email: michael.mcallister.2.ctr.au@...

          There are Toad options (do search on parallel) to control this very thing -
          been in the product like 5+ years - but you need to set the option to
          disable this scenario.

          MCALLISTER, MICHAEL CTR AU Contractor AETC AETC/A3IS
          Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:15 PM
          To: toad@yahoogroups.com <mailto:toad%40yahoogroups.com>

          All

          I just finished reading a post titled "Pitfalls of Using Parallel Execution
          with SQL Developer" which can be found here:-

          http://structureddata.org/2012/02/29/pitfalls-of-using-parallel-execution-wi
          th-sql-developer/

          I'm not trying to start a "bash SQL Developer" thread here. What I'm
          interested in knowing is whether TOAD is susceptible to this same issue as
          well?

          Regards,

          Mike McAllister
          Principal Systems Engineer
          Decypher
          DSN: 487-3751
          Commercial: (210) 652-3751
          Cell: (512) 423-7447
          Email: michael.mcallister.2.ctr.au@...
          <mailto:michael.mcallister.2.ctr.au%40us.af.mil>
        • Bert Scalzo
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
            That's the one - in the case that you see data in a grid on a parallel object - that's our code and on us to control - and releases the locks. But if you do so in the editor, for example

            Select /*+ parallel */ * from big_table .....

            Then it's your code and not ours - so onus is on user to understand and deal with properly :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
              That option affects SB data grids only.

              - John

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012

                That’s exactly what I said – Schema Browser is our code and option handles that – editor is their code and their responsibility

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Bert

                  Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it :-)