arabic issue in toad 8

  • Sajid Elyas Khan
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2011

      Hi,

      I am using toad 8, but when ever I want to save some out put of toad it display junk Arabic character.

      My database cherecter is  “AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256”

      Regards,

      Sajid Elyas Khan – Senior Oracle Database administrator

      Management Information Directorate

      Social Insurance Organization (Pension)

      Tel: +973 1751 9095| Fax: +973 1753 2494 | Web: www.sio.gov.bh

      Bldg 48, Road 1701, Block 317, Diplomatic Area | PO Box 5250 |Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain

      Author: Michael Staszewski
      Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011
      This version of Toad is old. If you can upgrade or download the 10.6 trial you should give it a shot and see if it addresses your issue. Much has changed in the Editor since 9.6. If you are getting an error log popup then please send the Toad.elf file generated which should be in your User Files folder. Michael
      __

      Author: ilovegolf
      Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011
      I get same error.  I have windows 7, oracle 10.2 client and toad 9.6.1.1.  I get "the system cannot finf the file specified" whenever I try to open editor window or connect (this opens up editor window for me as well).  Looking into more info, it says "eolesyserror".
      __

      Author: Clyne McCarthy
      Date: Tue Dec 07 01:21:26 PST 2010
      Hey expeerts!

      Hope someone can help me.  I have Toad 9.6.1 installed on Windows 7 with an Oracle 10 Client.  I can run as admin or as normal and get the same behaviour.  The Login screen appears OK, but once Toad has verified my credentials I receive 3 Eureka errors, with the error being "The system cannot find the file specified".  After this I get an access violation in toad.exe at read address 00000320.

      Colleagues of mine have this setup and working OK.  I have tried uninstall/re-install to the same effect.

      I've turned on debugging via the toad.ini file and this is as far as it gets (only showing the last few lines of the log)

      08:49:52 Restricting product features based on Toad security
      08:49:53 Checking for RAC support...
      08:49:53 Out of RAC support check.
      08:49:53 Fetching owner names
      08:49:55 TFormToadEditor.Create

      I have tried running process monitor to try to determine which file it cannot find, but to no avail.

      If I ignore these errors I can use Schema Browser, but cannot get the editor window to load at all.

      Anyone any ideas?  I'm tearing my hair out!!

      If anyone would like me to attach any further info, please let me know!
      __
      _______________________________________

    • ilovegolf
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
      • 1 Attachment
      • 159 KB

      Message from: ilovegolf

      Michael,

      I have set a file (taod.elf) for exception handling.  I can replicate issue without even openign a db conection.  I start toad, set exception file, saved option.  All oK, no errors.  Then whne I press "editor", I get following in the general error

      EurekaLog 6.0.7

      Application:

      1.1 Start Date : Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:26:13 +0100

      1.2 Name/Description: toad.exe - (Toad for Oracle)

      1.3 Version Number : 9.6.1.1

      1.4 Parameters :

      1.5 Compilation Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 14:07:10 +0100

      1.6 Up Time : 2 minutes, 7 seconds

      Exception:

      2.1 Date : Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:28:21 +0100

      2.2 Address : 00555673

      2.3 Module Name : toad.exe - (Toad for Oracle)

      2.4 Module Version: 9.6.1.1

      2.5 Type : EOleSysError

      2.6 Message : The system cannot find the file specified.

      2.7 ID : B405

      2.8 Count : 1

      2.9 Status : New

      2.10 Note :

      Active Controls:

      -------------------------------------

      4.1 Form Class : TfrmMain

      4.2 Form Text : Toad® for Oracle

      4.3 Control Class: MDIClient

      4.4 Control Text :

      Computer:

      5.2 Total Memory : 2048 Mb

      5.3 Free Memory : 938 Mb

      5.4 Total Disk : 139.18 Gb

      5.5 Free Disk : 53.2 Gb

      5.6 System Up Time: 1 day, 2 hours, 8 minutes, 56 seconds

      5.7 Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz

      5.8 Display Mode : 1280 x 1024, 32 bit

      5.9 Display DPI : 96

      5.10 Video Card : Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD (driver 8.15.10.2008 - RAM 1273 MB)

      5.11 Printer : HP LaserJet 6P (driver 6.1.7600.16385)

      Operating System:

      ---------------------------------------

      6.1 Type : Microsoft Windows Vista

      6.2 Build # : 7600

      6.3 Update :

      6.4 Language: English

      6.5 Charset : 0

      I have attached my toad.elf file.

      Thanks.

      _______________________________________

      Historical Messages

      Author: Michael Staszewski
      Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

      Author: ilovegolf
      Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

      Author: Clyne McCarthy
      Date: Tue Dec 07 01:21:26 PST 2010
      Hey expeerts!

[...]

    • Gregory Liss
      Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

        It sounds like you're missing the MSXML installation on your system.

        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42

        Author: Michael Staszewski
        Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

        Author: ilovegolf
        Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

        Author: Clyne McCarthy
        Date: Tue Dec 07 01:21:26 PST 2010
        Hey expeerts!

[...]

        1 of 1 File(s)

      • Bert Scalzo
        Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

          Toad 8.x is like 7 years old – you really need to upgrade as this was current as of Oracle 9i and then later versions of toad 8.X family were current as of Oracle 10g. You really are asking for issues when using such an old version of software. Do you still run windows 95 and office 95? Probably not – so why such an old version of toad?

          Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

            I did not hijack that I can see – the title said toad 8 was being used so I was helping to point out that no one should be staying on that ancient a version of toad – there’s no official support.

            Author: ilovegolf
            Date: Wed Jun 01 05:38:33 PDT 2011
            i'll try installign it and let you know how i get on - cheers
            __

            Author: ilovegolf
            Date: Wed Jun 01 05:38:05 PDT 2011

            Author: Bert Scalzo
            Date: Wed Jun 01 04:56:36 PDT 2011

            Author: Gregory Liss
            Date: Wed Jun 01 04:10:55 PDT 2011

            Author: ilovegolf
            Date: Wed Jun 01 03:57:44 PDT 2011
            Michael,

            I have set a file (taod.elf) for exception handling.  I can replicate issue without even opening a db connection.  I start toad, set exception file, saved option.  All oK, no errors.  Then whed I press "editor", I get following in the general error

            Message was edited by: ilovegolf
            __

              Message 7 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

                Message from: ilovegolf

                Message 8 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
                • 1 Attachment
                • 270 KB

                Message from: ilovegolf

                it was already there, but I reinstalled it, same error.  Here is latest taod.elf file.

                _______________________________________

                Historical Messages

                Author: ilovegolf
                Date: Wed Jun 01 05:46:22 PDT 2011

                Message 9 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

                  Message from: ilovegolf

                  Sorry bscalzo, I was not referrign to your reply, but to the post/question by Sajid Elyas Khan.

                  _______________________________________

                  Historical Messages

                  Author: Michael Staszewski
                  Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

                  Author: ilovegolf
                  Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

                  Author: Clyne McCarthy
                  Date: Tue Dec 07 01:21:26 PST 2010
                  Hey expeerts!

[...]

                • Michael Staszewski
                  Message 10 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

                    Do you have the following 3 files in your User Files folder?

                    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad 9.6\User Files\ExplainPlancolumnDefs.xml

                    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad 9.6\User Files\ExplainPlanGlobalPrefs.XML

                    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad 9.6\User Files\ExplainPlanUserPrefs.XML

                    Have you tried reinstalling Toad?

                    Michael

                    Author: ilovegolf
                    Date: Wed Jun 01 05:46:22 PDT 2011

                    Message 11 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

                      Message from: ilovegolf

                      I have those files but they are in different locations.  Yes I have reinstalled (several times).  I have windows 7 and as such my user files are in two places

                      virtual dir (1)
                      C:\Users\801785649\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\User Files

                      normal dir (2)
                      C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\User Files

                      I do not have them in in one dir.

                      I have ExplainPlanGlobalPrefs.XML and ExplainPlanUserPrefs.XML in dir (1) and

                      I have  ExplainPlancolumnDefs.xml in dir (2)

                      Should they all be in both dirs?

                      _______________________________________

                      Historical Messages

                      Author: Michael Staszewski
                      Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

                      Author: ilovegolf
                      Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

                      Author: Clyne McCarthy
                      Date: Tue Dec 07 01:21:26 PST 2010
                      Hey expeerts!

[...]

                    • Brad Boddicker
                      Message 12 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

                        Hello,

                        Toad 9.6 does not support Windows 7 and has very limited support for Windows Vista.  In order to run Toad 9.6 on Vista correctly, you have to either Turn UAC off or Run Toad as an administrator.  Another work-around would be using the “citrix” installation option.

                        Here is a snippet from a paper I wrote on this:

                        A second issue with Toad and UAC comes into play in Toad versions 8.0 to 9.6.  Windows Vista/7 UAC uses “data redirection” with applications that try to write to program files directory or any sub-folder within that directory. All Toad versions prior to 9.7 write configuration files to “c:\program files\quest software\toad for oracle\user files” or something similar.  In Toad 9.7, Toad began writing to “application data” (e.g. C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\9.7\, which eliminated this problem.  If UAC is on and an application attempts to write to “program files”, the Operation system redirects all of this traffic (reads/writes) to the application data area (where we now read/write configuration files).  It seems harmless, but it’s not.  In this case, certain files would cause issues which made Toad unusable until you manually relocated files on your hard drive.  Here is the text from release notes regarding this issue:

                        Windows Vista Support

                        If you install Toad on Windows Vista with UAC (user access control) enabled, you may encounter file access errors

                        Turn off UAC. If you don't have permission to do this, then when files are not found, such as lexlib.lxl, files may need to be renamed and/or moved to other locations. In the case of the lexlib.lxl error, you must copy this file from your local profile (where vista redirects your data) to your install directory \user files folder.

                        In conclusion, if users try to run Toad versions 8.0 – 9.7 on Windows Vista, it is highly recommended to turn UAC off.  In Windows 7, instead of on/off, they introduced various levels of UAC.  The lowest level, “never notify” is recommended in this case.  Toad versions 8.5 through 9.6 included an installation option called “Citrix”.  Toad version 8.0 does not include this option.  The Citrix option would behave in a similar way Toad behaves now and read/write configuration files to/from the application data directory.  If UAC cannot be turned off, then the Citrix option can be a good work-around if available.  Another work-around would be to run the Toad application as an administrator.  This option can be found via the R-click menu from the desktop shortcut.  One also may be re-prompted for a license key and new user file created if UAC is toggled on/off in between Toad sessions.

                        Author: Michael Staszewski
                        Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

                        Author: ilovegolf
                        Date: Tue May 31 09:32:32 PDT 2011

                        Author: Clyne McCarthy
                        Date: Tue Dec 07 01:21:26 PST 2010
                        Hey expeerts!

[...]

                      • Norman Dunbar
                        Message 13 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
                          Hi Bert,

                          On 01/06/11 13:21, Bert Scalzo wrote:
                          > I did not hijack that I can see – the title said toad 8 was being used
                          > so I was helping to point out that no one should be staying on that
                          > ancient a version of toad – there’s no official support.

                          The original poster did hijack a previous thread. This from just below
                          Message 14 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
                            Yes - my mistake and he already replied that it was not me. Guess I need to drink more coffee and pay better attention :)

                            --
                            Cheers,
                            Norm. [TeamT]

                          • Norman Dunbar
                            Message 15 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
                              On 01/06/11 16:01, Bert Scalzo wrote:
                              > Yes - my mistake and he already replied that it was not me. Guess I need
                              > to drink more coffee and pay better attention :)
                              I've had too much coffee today already! ;-(

                              --
                              Cheers,
                              Norm. [TeamT]
                              Message 16 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011

                                I don’t know what else to tell you then...it’s not supported.  I think it’s about time to upgrade.  Have you tried our latest freeware?

                                Author: ilovegolf
                                Date: Wed Jun 01 08:26:54 PDT 2011

                                Author: Norman Dunbar
                                Date: Wed Jun 01 08:00:10 PDT 2011
                                Hi Bert, On 01/06/11 13:21, Bert Scalzo wrote: > I did not hijack that I can see ? the title said toad 8 was being used > so I was helping to point out that no one should be staying on that > ancient a version of toad ? there?s no official support. The original poster did hijack a previous thread. This from just below his email:
                                __

                                Author: Brad Boddicker
                                Date: Wed Jun 01 07:29:18 PDT 2011

                                Author: ilovegolf