RE: [toad] Automation Designer variables for data export

  • Mark Lerch
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
      It's interesting that you reached for bind (:) syntax instead of subst (&) syntax.  Toad variables are specified with %variable%.

      In any case, % specifies a LIKE condition.  Mike and I have discussed the potential use of Toad variables within Actions which have a SQL property since their inception, because on the face of it they are obvious candidates. However if we used a special, different syntax to support them it wouldn't be intuitive or easily surfaced in the GUI, one would have to just "know" about it. And we would still have to deal with string literals.  For all of these reasons we've sided on letting people discover alternative ways to accomplish their goals, which I see you have already done.

      In Automation Designer I want to pass a variable to the export query so that I can specify that only records after a specified date be exported.  Is there a way to pass a variable to the sql query?  I've tried setting a toad variable export_date and using :export_data in my sql.  Doesn't generate any errors but the value does not seem to be substituted.

      _______________________________________

      Historical Messages

      Author: Leon
      Date: Tue Mar 29 06:45:48 PDT 2011
      In Automation Designer I want to pass a variable to the export query so that I can specify that only records after a specified date be exported.  Is there a way to pass a variable to the sql query?  I've tried setting a toad variable export_date and using :export_data in my sql.  Doesn't generate any errors but the value does not seem to be substituted.

      __

    • Mark Lerch
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
        (p.s. by string literals I mean any special, different syntax we'd use to specify Toad variables within a SQL statement could conflict with actual string data in the query itself. So we'd have to have an "escape" syntax for them or some other goofy mechanism. Probably best to just let SQL be SQL)

        Author: Leon
        Date: Tue Mar 29 06:45:48 PDT 2011