Create Database Script

  • Jeff Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011

      Just got this question from another user – why does it generate everything BUT the Create Database command?

      Things like the CHARSET and Database name are omitted…

    • Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
      • 1 Attachment
      • 4 KB
      Hi Jeff,

      >> Just got this question from another user - why does it generate
      everything BUT the Create Database command?
      I can't help with that one, but the attached might help? Run as SYS.

      One thing to beware of, I have an environment variable named "logs" into
      which almost all my scripts spool. You may need to alter this line:

      spool %logs%\crdb.sql

      And remove the "%logs%\" bit.

      Cheers,
      Norm. [TeamT]

      Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

      We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
      We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

      If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
    • Jeff Smith
      Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011

        They were using

        alter database backup controlfile to trace

        I showed them the ‘Toad Way’ and they loved the flexibility with the options, so it’s all good.

        Like your script though, you get that from Metalink?

        [Attachment(s) from Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) included below]

        Hi Jeff,

        >> Just got this question from another user - why does it generate
        everything BUT the Create Database command?
        I can't help with that one, but the attached might help? Run as SYS.

        One thing to beware of, I have an environment variable named "logs" into
        which almost all my scripts spool. You may need to alter this line:

        spool %logs%\crdb.sql

        And remove the "%logs%\" bit.

        Cheers,
        Norm. [TeamT]

        Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

        We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
        We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

        If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

      • John Dorlon
        Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011

          I think the reason was that I couldn’t find everything I needed in the data dictionary.  It’s been a while since I did that though, maybe it’s time to revisit it.

          Just got this question from another user – why does it generate everything BUT the Create Database command?

          Things like the CHARSET and Database name are omitted…

        • Norman Dunbar
          Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
            Afternoon Jeff,

            > alter database backup controlfile to trace
            That works fine too! It may not be the easiest way to do it though, but
            useful on Toad-Free sites!

            > Like your script though, you get that from Metalink?
            Now you didn't think I wrote it myself? I steal all my best scripts! ;-)

            --
            Cheers,
            Norm. [TeamT]
            Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
              I'm guessing a lot of folks don't have privs to run an ALTER DATABASE, so the script comes in handy!

              > alter database backup controlfile to trace
              That works fine too! It may not be the easiest way to do it though, but
              useful on Toad-Free sites!

              > Like your script though, you get that from Metalink?
              Now you didn't think I wrote it myself? I steal all my best scripts! ;-)

              --
              Cheers,
              Norm. [TeamT]

            • Rich Jesse
              Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
                > I'm guessing a lot of folks don't have privs to run an ALTER DATABASE, so
                > the script comes in handy!

                Perhaps, but I'd question the practice/need of those without privs
                reverse-engineering the CREATE DATABASE statement.

                Just sayin'...

                Rich -- [TeamT]

                Disclaimer: Playoffs?!? PLAYOFFS!!
              • Jeff Smith
                Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011

                  This came from a developer who owned his instance…so def not a standard practice I think.