RE: [toad] New ERD

  • Bert Scalzo
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      Basically the new Toad ER Diagrammer is a major subset of the Toad Data Modeler's physical database offering. You won't get things like compare and sync model to database (we have to keep something in the Toad Data Modeler), but there's sufficient capability to make the old Toad ER Diagrammer seem worthless. The key benefits that people will notice immediately are that they can create models of any size without performance or printing issues. At least these are two of the chief complaints we've heard many times. And unlike Oracle SQL Developer's new data modeling offering - the Toad ER Diagrammer does not cost any extra money. Some people seem to think just that because the SQL Developer Data Modeler alpha/beta is free - it is not. It clearly says so on their web page. So give Toad's new ER Diagrammer a test drive in the upcoming beta - because I think you'll find it very useful; it's a major face lift at no cost to you :)

      PS - the new Toad ER Diagrammer will be compatible with Toad Data Modeler, so for those needing those extra features - just buy the Toad DBA Bundle and you get Toad + DBA Module + Benchmark Factory + Spotlight + Toad Data Modeler all for one low price considering the amazing value offered :)

      From: Mark.Lerch@quest. com
      Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:43:40 -0800
      Subject: [toad] New ERD

      Well I forgot to mention something significant: the ERD window is going to be completely replaced by a much more powerful one, courtesy the developers from the Toad DataModeler team. This will be released in our first public beta, so that is a "new feature" which isn't going to wait for Toad 10's first betas.

      What occurred there was this: we looked at the years of constant complains about all of our "diagramming" windows (ERD, Code Roadmap, Query Builder), then looked at the product we now call Toad DataModeler and said, "well, that product is also in Delphi, why not take the diagramming experts and get them to move those windows into Toad. History has taught us to be highly cautious about splitting development efforts though, so we took a "safe" window - the ERD - and decided to use that as a test case.

      We like what we see. We think you will too. There is no doubt that the most important thing will be present - your feedback.

      Mark