RE: [toad] Burleson Consulting

  • Martin Gainty
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 18, 2009
      I need information on when should I change block_size
      This article gives overall direction on where to apply small block size (4096) vs large block size (16384)
      http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28274/iodesign.htm#g35558

      Here is Don Burlesons article published on Jan 12
      http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_multiple_blocksizes_summary.htm

      What information does Quest provide to DBAs to configure their blocksize?

      Martin Gainty
      Disclaimer and confidentiality note

      To: toad@yahoogroups.com
      From: Mark.Lerch@...
      Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 06:37:38 -0800
      Subject: [toad] Burleson Consulting

      These people are disturbingly wrong on so many things.  I don’t understand it.  Some of their articles are in direct contradiction not only to Oracle documentation but simple empirical evidence.  They know Oracle far better than I do, but at least I can test their claims and they are frequently mistaken.

      Unfortunately they have a massive web presence and a high hit ratio on Google.  I wouldn’t take anything they write at face value.  I can only wonder at the damage they must have caused people over the years.

      Mark

    • Rob Zijlstra
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 18, 2009
        There was a fine discussion on this a few years ago on 'AskTom' site and the
        Oracle-L mailinglist about these gentlemen. In short: your conclusions
        are completely correct.

        A more technical discussion about some things they proclaimed (and
        could not prove) one can find at the very fine site

        http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/

        --
        Regards, Met Vriendelijke Groeten

        Rob Zijlstra
      • Norman Dunbar
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 18, 2009
          Evening Mark,

          > These people are disturbingly wrong on so many things.

          I have hinted as such on a couple of occasions in this list but I didn't
          want to be too blatant. However, now that you have brought it up, my
          advice is "avoid most of what you see on that site as it is of dubious
          quality."

          I don't really understand how "one of the worlds best Oracle DBAs" can
          get things consistently wrong, but it appears that he does. When
          corrected he normally responds by changing the subject, just dropping
          out of the discussion, or worse.

          A DBA colleague of mine in was told by his boss that he had had a stiff
          letter from Don's legal team asking for my colleague to be sacked
          immediately - simply because he pulled Don up on something he had
          written and corrected him. At that point all hell broke loose. Two
          things went wrong for Don here, my colleague's boss was an Oracle DBA
          and knew that Don's argument was incorrect plus, best of all, the legal
          threat was to a company in a non USA location!

          Anyway, Don's current crusade is to poo poo the likes of all the
          reliable DBAs out there in Oracle land, who will state a 'fact' and
          provide the evidence and proof of what they have said for discussion.
          Don really hates the 'proof' brigade and seems to have peppered his blog
          and web site with all sorts of little digs like 'never believe anyone
          asking for proof' and such like.

          Now, as was pointed out quite recently by a DBA in Australia, Google
          allow you to rank 'hits' that you get in response to a search query. You
          need a Google account and to be logged in, but when this is done, you
          can demote Burleson hits off the list and never see them again. :-)

          If only those of us with less experience and Oracle knowledge who don't
          have Google accounts could do likewise!

          However, all is not bad at Burleson, Mike Ault appears there from time
          to time (or, used to?) so there is some good stuff!

          Also, Don's site has many devoted followers I think they spend all their
          time building databases with huge block sizes and/or rebuilding indexes
          regularly for 'performance' purposes) and if your posting gets Googled,
          be prepared for a lot of 'incoming' in your mail box - some of which may
          be quite personal and heated in a flame like manner!

          At this point, I feel I should don my Nomex suit and take cover myself!

          Anyway, if you like a laugh, how about some of Don's rules for Burleson
          Consultants :

          http://www.dba-oracle.com/redneck.htm (Don't scroll down too far if you
          are having a meal by the way!) - I especially like the horse in the bath!

          http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_so_web_credibility.htm - a case of
          pot-kettle methinks!

          http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_dbazine_bust_ora_myth_bust.htm

          http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code.htm - how to dress properly!
          Apparently, the wearing of a kilt is not permitted (go to
          http://www.toadworld.com/Experts/ToadMVPs/tabid/68/Default.aspx and
          click on 'norm') and also, we Scots (or Scotch as we are referred to -
          totally incorrectly) apparently wear something called 'plaid' - it's
          tartan actually. We are doubly not allowed to wear 'plaid' as it may
          offend other clans and we could end up fighting! ;-) The reply to a Mr
          Atkinson's comments make interesting reading - but whatever you do,
          don't disagree!

          Bear in mind that some of the above are filed under humour, but I leave
          you to find out which ones!

          Cheers,
          Norm. [TeamT]
        • Martin Gainty
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 18, 2009
            just to be clear..Horses are NOT smarter than people?

            Martin
            Disclaimer and confidentiality note

            To: toad@yahoogroups.com
            From: toad@...
            Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:54:06 +0000
            Subject: Re: [toad] Burleson Consulting

            Evening Mark,

> [...]

            http://www.dba- oracle.com/ art_so_web_ credibility. htm - a case of
            pot-kettle methinks!

            http://www.dba- oracle.com/ art_dbazine_ bust_ora_ myth_bust. htm

            http://www.dba- oracle.com/ dress_code. htm - how to dress properly!
            Apparently, the wearing of a kilt is not permitted (go to
            http://www.toadworl d.com/Experts/ ToadMVPs/ tabid/68/ Default.aspx and
            click on 'norm') and also, we Scots (or Scotch as we are referred to -
            totally incorrectly) apparently wear something called 'plaid' - it's
            tartan actually. We are doubly not allowed to wear 'plaid' as it may
            offend other clans and we could end up fighting! ;-) The reply to a Mr
            Atkinson's comments make interesting reading - but whatever you do,
            don't disagree!

            Bear in mind that some of the above are filed under humour, but I leave

            Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.
          • John Dorlon
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 19, 2009

              Yes, I too have learned to ignore his website in my google search results.

              Besides having wrong information, his photos are spooky.

              -John

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 19, 2009
                so you'll need to publish this information
                and create metadata tags in your code so that <GOOGLE> search engine will find it e.g.
                <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOODP">

                request the Mountain View GoogleBots to publish this information in their search engine..

                HTH
                Old Alder
                Disclaimer and confidentiality note

                To: toad@yahoogroups.com
                From: john.dorlon@...
                Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:19:59 -0800
                Subject: [toad] RE: Burleson Consulting

                Yes, I too have learned to ignore his website in my google search results.

                Besides having wrong information, his photos are spooky.

                -John

                These people are disturbingly wrong on so many things.  I don’t understand it.  Some of their articles are in direct contradiction not only to Oracle documentation but simple empirical evidence.  They know Oracle far better than I do, but at least I can test their claims and they are frequently mistaken.

                Unfortunately they have a massive web presence and a high hit ratio on Google.  I wouldn’t take anything they write at face value.  I can only wonder at the damage they must have caused people over the years.

                Mark

              • Dunbar, Norman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 19, 2009
                  Hi Martin,

                  >> so you'll need to publish this information
                  >> and create metadata tags in your code so that <GOOGLE>
                  >> search engine will find it e.g.

                  >> content of the page appears here" />
                  >> <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOODP">
                  >> request the Mountain View GoogleBots to publish this
                  >> information in their search engine..

                  I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean here - any chance of a quick
                  explanation? Please.

                  Thanks.

                  Cheers,
                  Norm. [TeamT]

                  Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

                  Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

                  We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
                  We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

                  If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
                • Jörgen Adriaanse
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 19, 2009
                    Actually, I find his (spooky) photo's very useful.
                    As soon as I see that untrustworthy big smile with the impossibly white teeth, my hand automatically moves for the close button in my webbrowser.
                    I just can't help myself.
                    What better protection could you have than that.

                    Jörgen

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 19, 2009
                      Norm, I've seen some of those links before so thanks for the disturbing
                      memories. I just avoid anything with his name on it like the plague.

                      Curios to hear if Bert has an opinion on him since I think he has had some
                      dealings with him.

                      Ed
                      [TeamT]

> [...]

                      http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_so_web_credibility.htm - a case of
                      pot-kettle methinks!

                      http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_dbazine_bust_ora_myth_bust.htm

                      http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code.htm - how to dress properly!
                      Apparently, the wearing of a kilt is not permitted (go to
                      http://www.toadworld.com/Experts/ToadMVPs/tabid/68/Default.aspx and
                      click on 'norm') and also, we Scots (or Scotch as we are referred to -
                      totally incorrectly) apparently wear something called 'plaid' - it's
                      tartan actually. We are doubly not allowed to wear 'plaid' as it may
                      offend other clans and we could end up fighting! ;-) The reply to a Mr
                      Atkinson's comments make interesting reading - but whatever you do,
                      don't disagree!

                      Bear in mind that some of the above are filed under humour, but I leave

                      ------------------------------------

                      Questions? Try the on-line FAQ:
                      http://asktoad.com/DWiki/doku.php?id=faq:questions

                      Trouble downloading or running the freeware update? See
                      http://asktoad.com/DWiki/doku.php/howto_install_and_update_freetoad

                      Do you know about the other TOAD Yahoo Message Boards? Go here to find out more
                      - http://www.toadsoft.com/maillist.htmYahoo! Groups Links

                      Notice of Confidentiality: This e-mail communication and the attachments hereto,
                      if any, are intended solely for the information and use of the addressee(s) identified
                      above and may contain information which is legally privileged and/or otherwise confidential.
                      If a recipient of this e-mail communication is not an addressee (or an authorized
                      representative of an addressee), such recipient is hereby advised that any review,
                      disclosure, reproduction, re-transmission or other dissemination or use of this e-mail
                      communication (or any information contained herein) is strictly prohibited. If you are
                      not an addressee and have received this e-mail communication in error, please advise the
                      sender of that circumstance either by reply e-mail or by telephone at (407) 384-8818
                      immediately delete this e-mail communication from any computer and destroy all physical
                      copies of same.

                      Replies Filtered: Any incoming e-mail reply to this communication will be electronically
                      filtered for "spam" and/or "viruses." That filtering process may result in such reply
                      being quarantined (i.e., potentially not received at our site at all) and/or delayed in
                      reaching us. For that reason, we cannot guarantee that we will receive your reply and/or
                      that we will receive it in a timely manner. Accordingly, you should consider sending
                      communications to us which are particularly important or time-sensitive by means other
                      than e-mail.
                    • Bert Scalzo

                        ------------ --------- --------- ------

[...]

                      • Syed Faiz Abbas
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 19, 2009
                          Its really a very nice discussion for a person who doesnot even knothat we are
                          making a large thread out of his discusssion
                          I feel Don's material are just copy paste of some other links.
                          I donno either whether other copies him.
                          so plz give ur valuable comments.

                          SFA
                          Jr. DBA, from India