RE: Datatypes not being Uppercased

  • Brad Boddicker
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hello Roger,

      It appears you have an older version of the formatter. This bug was actually fixed in verions 5.115, which you will get if you upgrade to the latest patch (9.7.2.5)

      Thanks,
      Brad

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
        Thanks Brad!

        >> It appears you have an older version of the formatter.
        >> This bug was actually fixed in versions 5.115, which you
        >> will get if you upgrade to the latest patch (9.7.2.5)

        We ran into an issue with Toad version 8.6 with regards Production support and ended up with - effectively - a priority upgrade situation. Unfortunately, since then, we've been elevating from one version of Toad to the next trying to find a stable version - at least, stable enough not to cause issues for those handling production support.

        Our test cycle is to have Toad installed on select developers machines in order to pilot the version to identify any such issues that could cause problems for production. In short: to grab version 9.7.2.5 means another round of piloting...

        So Question: Is it possible to just upgrade the formatter? That would isolate the pilot testing required and allow us to roll out the current version of Toad sooner rather then later.

        RAS

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
          You should probably look at the issues that were fixed from 9.7.1 to 9.7.2 and determine if you need these fixes or not. An updated version of the formatter/parser DDL is available via support if you want to run with 9.7.1 and only upgrade the formatter/parser DLL. This setup is supported, but you will have to open a case with Quest support. Another way to get this DLL without all the red tape is to download the latest toadbeta.zip and grab QP5.dll from there. Of course, if you choose to roll out 9.7.1 with an updated formatter dll, you will have to manually copy the new DLL over to every machine where you install Toad. I highly recommend restarting your pilot program using 9.7.2, but that's easy for me to say :)

          Here is a list of fixes for 9.7.2. The first 2 issues listed (file splitting and team coding) were fixed in 9.7.1, all other fixes below only apply to 9.7.2:

          COMPONENT DESCRIPTION
          File Splitting Package spec and body saved to same file not splitting when opened in editor
          Team Coding Access violation when selecting a third party source code control provider in the Settings component of the Team Coding Status
          LDAP LDAP not populating services on 11g client
          Report Manager Report Manager not saving TRD files when ending connection
          Tablespace Script Error in Tablespace script
          Upgrading Passwords Upgrading where user files were previously on a separate volume (D drive, for example), passwords are lost. Includes Citrix upgrades
          Action Passwords Action passwords using old encryption format
          SFTP Download Hangs at 100% and doesn't stop
          eBiz Module eBiz visible even though deprecated
          FTP The ftp keep-alive option to refresh every n minutes does not work
          FTP Download file does not overwrite if file already exists
          Schema Compare When selecting def files as comparison source Toad generates an access violation
          Schema Compare Compare option Only Compare Object Names Like not being respected
          Schema Browser Grant All on a non-queue table adds queue grants
          Schema Browser Table constraint name violation when using Create Like
          Data Grid Grid Save As to an Excel file has incorrect date format
          User Files File references (i.e Proc Templates and Project Manager files) not updating correctly when User Files location changed
          Upgrade Last User Files location not being respected after upgrade
          Integration Benchmark Factory scalability issue with test parameters
          QP5 Formatter Various bug fixes
          AppDesigner Compare Schema action steals focus when Diff Viewer is invoked

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
              Thanks For the info Brad;

              >> You should probably look at the issues that were fixed from 9.7.1
              >> to 9.7.2 and determine if you need these fixes or not.

              I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, with fixes come bugs that didn't previously exist. For example, the bug with regards uppercase of datatypes didn't previously exist.

              The not-so-good part is in receiving a bug that ends up being a problem for production support.

              >> I highly recommend restarting your pilot program using 9.7.2,
              >> but that's easy for me to say :)

              Yup, that's very easy to say. Unfortunately having to answer Management with regards a product that never seems to hit a stable-for-production state is not very nice. I'm just thankful I'm not the one that has to answer that.

              Personally, I love being on the pilot project so having the latest and greatest works for me ;) Unfortunately, I represent a rather small portion of our complete development team in that regard and most everyone else requires stability in their tool.... some even expect zero change which always boggles my mind considering the fast-paced movement of the software industry.

              I'll pass the info on to the group that's over-seeing the deployment of Toad and the decision will be up to them whether or not the existing issue is a high enough issue to delay the deployment.

              Just as a note of reference: we're not a development shop per se. We're a development branch of the business we serve so our "viewpoints" are adjusted accordingly with Business being more concerned with business needs then the IT needs that would ultimately serve the business needs. Standard business blinders where software occurs "in a magical realm" are in effect in that regard.

              Roger

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2008
                Hey Brad;

                Just a follow up. The app tech group went with the option of the DLL and so far that's working just fine.

                Thanks for all the options!

                Roger

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Great! Thanks for following up. Let us know if you have any issues.