What I would really like ....

  • Dunbar, Norman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
      Morning all,

      I'm trying to debug a program here and I'm having difficulties getting
      it to trace it's connection etc. I've set it all in SQLNET.ORA as I
      normally do, but no trace files are being created. Most strange. It
      works with any other application! (With the same settings!)

      I wonder if :

      * SQL Monitor is still being developed?
      * If so, is there any chance of an option whereby we can run the tool
      and have it simply watch for, and report back on ANY SQL Net connection
      it detects.

      It would be nice to have, because while I can see the app after it has
      connected, I can't trace what it did (or tried to do) before that point.

      If it could work in a manner similar to Filemon from Sys Internals (One
      of Rich's fav tools) where you can set the filter and anything opening a
      file which the filter allows through, logs its details.

      Here's hoping.

      If this is not possible, does anyone know exactly how the system does
      it's monitoring? So I can write something myself! :-)

      Cheers,
      Norm. [TeamT]

      Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

      Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

      We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
      We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

      If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

      World Environment Day 2008 - Time for a new routine. Take part in our campaign by telling us what one thing you will do to stand up to climate change. Visit our website to tell us and find out more: www.environment-agency.gov.uk/wed
    • daniel.stephens@manches.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008

        Hiya,

        I've wondered the same myself previously.

        It would be great for it to just pick up a connection and log it.

        Like Norm, (sometimes) by the time you refresh and choose to log the connection, the app has already done what you actually wanted to record.

        Cheers

        Dan!
        [Team ToadLurkerSince1999]

        "Dunbar, Norman" <toad@...>
        Sent by: toad@yahoogroups.com

        01/07/2008 12:57

        Please respond to
        toad@yahoogroups.com

        toad@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [toad] What I would really like ....

[...]

        Manches LLP
        Tel: +44 (0)1865 722106
        Fax: +44 (0)1865 201012

        *** DISCLAIMER ***
        This message and any attachments are confidential, and may be protected by legal privilege. If this has been sent to you in error please contact the sender as soon as possible.

        Our postal address is: Manches LLP 9400 Garsington Road, Oxford Business Park, Oxford OX4 2HN

        Also at: Davidson House, Forbury Square, Reading RG1 3EU

        Manches LLP is a limited liability partnership, registered in England and Wales, registered number OC305898.
        The registered office is at Aldwych House, 81 Aldwych, London WC2B 4RP.
        A list of members' names is available for inspection at that address. The firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

      • John Dorlon
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008

          Norm and I had our conversation offline.  The solution was the often overlooked "Launch Application" (lightning bolt icon) button  in SQL Monitor.

          You can use it to Launch an app from SQL Monitor and hook into it right away, which can be helpful if you app auto-connects and you don't want to miss anything.

          -John

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
            >> Norm and I had our conversation offline. The solution was
            >> the often overlooked "Launch Application" (lightning bolt
            >> icon) button in SQL Monitor.

            And it works perfectly. Thanks John.

            I've put it on AskToad as well :

            http://asktoad.com/DWiki/doku.php/faq/answers/tools#how_do_i_start_traci
            ng_an_app_before_it_starts_running

            or

            www.askToad.com
            select faq on the left.
            Select SQL Monitor on the right (indented under tools)
            Select "How do I start tracing an app before it starts running" in the
            list of topics.

            or

            http://tinyurl.com/4pwu8v

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
              Great .. thanks Norm and John .. :-)

              I will try this.

              Cheers

              Dan!

              "Dunbar, Norman" <toad@...>
              Sent by: toad@yahoogroups.com

              01/07/2008 15:27

              Please respond to
              toad@yahoogroups.com

              toad@yahoogroups.com
              cc
              Subject
              RE: [toad] RE: What I would really like ....

            • George.Meltser@aigfpc.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                I know the question has nothing to do with TOAD, but i am not sure where else to ask.

                Does anybody know on which specific version on Vista does Oracle 10G R2 run on?
                The version in question is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

              • Bert Scalzo
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008

                  11g

                  I know the question has nothing to do with TOAD, but i am not sure where else to ask.

                  Does anybody know on which specific version on Vista does Oracle 10G R2 run on?

                  The version in question is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

                • Chris Johnson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                    10g r2 works fine on Vista Home Premium. I've been running it there
                    for about 10 months with no known issues.

                  • George.Meltser@aigfpc.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                      Thank you.
                      Is there a certification matrix somewhere?

                      10g r2 works fine on Vista Home Premium. I've been running it there
                      for about 10 months with no known issues.

                      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM, <George.Meltser@...> wrote:
                      > I know the question has nothing to do with TOAD, but i am not sure where
                      > else to ask.
                      >
                      > Does anybody know on which specific version on Vista does Oracle 10G R2 run
                      > on?
                      > The version in question is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Chris Johnson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                        http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html

                      • George.Meltser@aigfpc.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Thanks, but this one does not mention Vista Home Premium, just Vista.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                            True, they don't get that specific. I can only say that it works fine
                            in my experience, but that's not the same as certification from Uncle
                            Larry.