RE: [toad] Re: Windows SQL*Plus removed from 11g

  • John Graves
    Message 1 of 29 , May 31, 2007
      Arr! GUIs are ok, and I guess I be showin' me age, but I do get a certain amount of comfort having a command line available and using it. In fact, I really do prefer a command line to a GUI a lot of the time. I guess it comes from my CP/M and DOS days.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
        You'll be just fine then with 11g then - the dos command line version (same as all command line version on various oracle platforms) is still there. It'e only the windos gui version that left:

        so sqlplus.exe is still there

        and sqlplusw.exe is now gone

        Arr! GUIs are ok, and I guess I be showin' me age, but I do get a certain amount of comfort having a command line available and using it. In fact, I really do prefer a command line to a GUI a lot of the time. I guess it comes from my CP/M and DOS days.

        Was the Windows SQL*Plus a popular feature?

        My casual, informal and unofficial observation is that most SQL*Plus
        users were expert in and had a preference for the SQL*Plus DOS command
        line version.

        Other thoughts?

        Questions? Try the on-line FAQ: http://asktoad.com/DWiki/doku.php?id=faq:questions

        Do you know about the other TOAD Yahoo Message Boards? Go here to find out more - http://www.toadsoft.com/maillist.htm
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • GEORGE.Brennan@morleyfm.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
          "Arr! GUIs are ok, and I guess I be showin' me age, but I do get a certain amount of comfort having a command line available and using it. In fact, I really do prefer a command line to a GUI a lot of the time. I guess it comes from my CP/M and DOS days."
          Hmm, cp/m or cp/m+ ?

          Well it's Friday so....

          cue assembler jokes...

          cue hex jokes...

          cue binary  with switches jokes..

          cue building your own from transistors jokes...

          cue valve jokes...

          cue Monty Python 'when I were a lad, we had it really really tough' jokes...

          Regards
          George

          George Brennan

          Data Architect

          Morley Fund Management

           +44 (0)20 7809 8507

          georgeb@...

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
            Shiver me timbers!! When I first caught wind of SQL*Plus vacating, as
            it were, Oracle 11g me fears were that the command line version had been
            tossed overboard. Arghh!

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
              Arrrr the scurvy dogs. Oracle giveth and Oracle taketh away.

              Although, at least in my case, I never use SQL*Plus anyway. <shameless sucking up> I've got TOAD, what more do I need? </shameless sucking up>

              About the only thing I've use SQL*Plus for is to verify a script that works correctly in TOAD that someone says doesn't work correctly outside and to do instance to instance copies of tables which is a no-brainer using the "copy" command, but I think TOAD can do that now too can't it?

              I guess I understand the statement about "what if you went to a client that doesn't use TOAD?", but surely they would use something -- SQL Developer, PL/SQL Developer, Golden Retriever... something a bit more productive that SQL*Plus. Although everybody grumbles about the cost of TOAD, and I have to agree, nobody complains about my productivity with it like they darn should would be without it.

              On 6/1/07, Bert Scalzo <bert.scalzo@...> wrote:
[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 mailto:toad-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 mailto:toad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • John Graves

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007

                  Does anybody remember the PC Magazine column (I think by Jim Louderback) that compared languages to going to the store by car and operating systems to shooting yourself in the foot?

                  Erwin Rollauer, ISR, McGill, 514 398-5023 ex 00626

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 4, 2007
                    >> erwin.rollauer@... 06/01/07 08:35PM >>>
                    >> Does anybody remember the PC Magazine column (I think by Jim
                    Louderback)
                    >> that compared languages to going to the store by car and operating
                    >> systems to shooting yourself in the foot?

                    Programming languages & foot shooting(self) :

                    http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~mgr/404/burks/language/shoot.htm

                    I rather like the Unix one - subte or what - and the Windows 95 one
                    too.

                    I can't find the 'going to the store one' but I did find this one :

                    http://www.faisal.com/geek/caros.xhtml

                    Cheers,
                    Norm. [TeamT]

                    Norman Dunbar.
                    Contract Oracle DBA.
                    Rivers House, Leeds.

                    Internal : 7 28 2051
                    External : 0113 231 2051

                    Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

                    We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

                    We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

                    If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
                  • Charpak, Joseph
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 4, 2007
                      The sql one is very wrong. It should have been:

                      SQL:

                      1) You try to shoot yourself in the foot but wind up wasting a bullet
                      due to your lack of legs (outer joins)
                      or
                      2) you shoot yourself in the foot, and
                      accidentally shoot 50 other people (all of whom share either your first
                      or last name) in the foot at the same time (bad where clause)
                      or
                      3) You try to shoot yourself in the foot, but can't since your gun can't
                      shoot really large feet. (longs)
                      or
                      4) You try to shoot yourself in the foot, but can't since you've measured
                      your foot incorrectly. (chars)
                      or
                      5) Not only can you shoot your foot, eventually the gun will want you to shoot
                      yourself in the arm, the head, etc. even though you believe there are better guns
                      to do that with. (oracle backup management)
                      or
                      6) you can shoot all sorts of appendages, some of which don't necessarily exist
                      in nature, but inexplicably you can't shoot your foot (Booleans)
                      or
                      7) you can shoot yourself in the toe, but shooting yourself in the foot will require
                      a fancier gun which costs $40,000 per barrel (oracle enterprise edition)
                      or
                      8) you can experiment shooting yourself in the foot for free, but if you want to
                      become a professional foot shooter, you need to pay for the gun (oracle licensing).

                      >> Does anybody remember the PC Magazine column (I think by Jim
                      Louderback)
                      >> that compared languages to going to the store by car and operating
                      >> systems to shooting yourself in the foot?

                      Programming languages & foot shooting(self) :

                      http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~mgr/404/burks/language/shoot.htm

                      I rather like the Unix one - subte or what - and the Windows 95 one
                      too.

                      I can't find the 'going to the store one' but I did find this one :

                      http://www.faisal.com/geek/caros.xhtml

                      Cheers,
                      Norm. [TeamT]

                      Norman Dunbar.
                      Contract Oracle DBA.
                      Rivers House, Leeds.

                      Internal : 7 28 2051
                      External : 0113 231 2051

                      Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

                      We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

                      We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

                      If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

                      Questions? Try the on-line FAQ: http://asktoad.com/DWiki/doku.php?id=faq:questions

                      Do you know about the other TOAD Yahoo Message Boards? Go here to find out more - http://www.toadsoft.com/maillist.htm
                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Vogler, Josef
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 10, 2007
                        Nachricht
                        Yes, but how do you connect to a database that is down? And how do you start it?

                        -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                           http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/toad/

                           http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/toad/ join