Strange Describe

  • Jon Lacey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
      Can anyone explain this for me

      If I run the command:
      CREATE TABLE TEST AS SELECT 'HELP' col1 FROM dual

      And then run the command:
      SELECT * FROM TEST

      I get the following output:
      COL1
      HELP

      If I then hit F4 or run the command:
      DESCRIBE TEST

      The data TAB shows the text HELP - Nothing strange so far

      If I then run the command:
      UPDATE TEST SET col1 = 'hELP' WHERE col1 = 'HELP'

      And then run the command:
      SELECT * FROM TEST

      I get the following output:
      COL1
      hELP

      If I then hit F4 or run the command:
      DESCRIBE TEST

      The data TAB still shows the text HELP

      Older versions of TOAD used to show the updated data in a describe or F4
      operation.
      Do I have some screwy settings or is this a feature of the newer versions.
      I have tried this on 8.5.3.2 and 8.6.0.38

      Regards
      Jon L.

      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Important Notice The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender urgently and dispose of this e-mail. We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. You should, however, check this e-mail, and any attachments to it, for viruses, as we will not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages as a result of any virus being passed on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________!
    • Norman Dunbar
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Jon,

        >> Can anyone explain this for me

        <SNIP>

        >> Older versions of TOAD used to show the updated data in a describe
        or F4
        >> operation.
        Confirmed - version 7.5.2.0 can see the changed data.

        >> Do I have some screwy settings or is this a feature of the newer
        versions.
        YES :o)

        Under the options for 'Oracle', uncheck the setting 'use a separate
        connection when TOAD itself is generating transactions' because this
        separate session cannot see your uncommitted data.

        I've reproduced your 'problem' in 7.5.2.0 with this setting ticked, and
        can see immediate changes with the option unticked.

        Cheers,
        Norm. [TeamT]

        ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
        Important Notice The information in this email is confidential and
        may be legally privileged. If you have reason to believe you are not the
        taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be
        unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender urgently and
        dispose of this e-mail. We make every effort to keep our network free
        from viruses. You should, however, check this e-mail, and any
        attachments to it, for viruses, as we will not be liable for direct,
        special, indirect or consequential damages as a result of any virus
        being passed on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this
        message by a third party.

        Norman Dunbar.
        Contract Oracle DBA.
        Rivers House, Leeds.

        Internal : 7 28 2051
        External : 0113 231 2051

        Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

        We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

        We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

        If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
      • Jon Lacey
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
          Norm,
          Have you tried it on 8.6?
          I have unchecked the box, restarted TOAD, just in case, but still F4 shows
          the old data.

          Jon L.

          more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

          Questions? Try the on-line FAQ: http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html

          Do you know about the other TOAD Yahoo Message Boards? Go here to find out
          more - http://www.toadsoft.com/maillist.htm
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Virag, Ivan
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
            I think that there is an option saying whether you want each window in a
            separate session. If this option is on then it's necessary to commit the
            update before final pressing F4 button. If this option is off then it
            behaves the John's way.

            ikv

            ____

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
              Hi Jon,

              >> Have you tried it on 8.6?

              I'm afraid that UFN, I'm stuck on version 7.5.2.0 here. :o(

              >> I have unchecked the box, restarted TOAD, just in case, but still F4
              shows
              >> the old data.

              Interesting. When I changed the setting, I didn't restart - I just made
              sure that the old DESCRIBE popup was closed and pressed F4 anwe in the
              SQL Editor. The new values showed up just fine without needing a
              restart.

              Hmmm.

              Cheers,
              Norm. [TeamT]

[...]

            • Bert Scalzo
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                RE: [toad] Strange Describe
                Starting with version 8.5 - the option for threaded queries was totally re-wrtten and there are some begahvior changes. Please review the toadsoft FAQ and browse the yahoo archives - this topic has had a fair amount of discsussion .....
                I'm afraid that UFN, I'm stuck on version 7.5.2.0 here. :o(

                >> I have unchecked the box, restarted TOAD, just in case, but still F4
                shows
                >> the old data.

                Interesting. When I changed the setting, I didn't restart - I just made
                sure that the old DESCRIBE popup was closed and pressed F4 anwe in the
                SQL Editor. The new values showed up just fine without needing a
                restart.

                Hmmm.

                Cheers,
                Norm. [TeamT]

                Norman Dunbar.
                Contract Oracle DBA.
                Rivers House, Leeds.

                Internal : 7 28 2051
                External : 0113 231 2051

                Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

                We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

                We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

                If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

                Questions?  Try the on-line FAQ: http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html

                Do you know about the other TOAD Yahoo Message Boards?  Go here to find out more - http://www.toadsoft.com/maillist.htm
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Bert Scalzo
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Here was the key info from the FAQ - note it specifically talks about describe:

                  There are some caveats to using threaded queries. One is as you note, many sessions can be created. Another is that using threaded queries means that posted, but un-committed data is only visible to the tab which owns the query in the case of the SQL Editor. Even doing a Describe on the table that has the posted, but un-committed data will not show the posted data. The describe window does not have access to the session where the data edits were made. The scope of the session is only for the tab so you can probably think of other hazards this may cause, but if you have several long running queries that you need to run then using the threaded queries option will be a big time saver.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                    So,
                    Are you saying that after 8.5 the DESCRIBE function does not work properly?

                    Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

[...]

                  • Michael Staszewski II
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                      It does work properly, but if you are using threaded queries then the
                      describe window is using a different session than the editor which means
                      that the describe window can't see posted, but un-committed data.
                      Modified/un-committed data is only visible to the session where it was
                      modified which means that it will be visible to the SE tab where data
                      was changed only.

                      Michael

> [...]

                      out
                      more - http://www.toadsoft.com/maillist.htm
                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      ____ Important Notice The information in this email is confidential
                      and may be legally privileged. If you have reason to believe you are not
                      the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
                      action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
                      may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender urgently and
                      dispose of this e-mail. We make every effort to keep our network free
                      from viruses. You should, however, check this e-mail, and any
                      attachments to it, for viruses, as we will not be liable for direct,
                      special, indirect or consequential damages as a result of any virus
                      being passed on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this
                    • James Parkhurst
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                        Not at all.

                        What he is saying is that Toad 8.5 and up operate differently than prior versions of Toad, due to the added support for Threaded Queries.

                        With Threaded Queries enabled (View > Options > Oracle > Transactions > Execute queries in threads), Toad creates a background Oracle session for the SQL Editor statements in your example. Since you haven't performed a commit in SQL Editor, the data changes are not visible to the Describe window, or to any other Oracle session.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                          RE: [toad] Strange Describe

                          The biggest reason (in my opinion) for running a long query in Toad as opposed to via QSR or SQL*Plus is that the results are returned in a grid for easy viewing. Unfortunately QSR does not return results in a grid. This means you have to run it in Toad and thus possibly turn threaded queries on. If QSR were to return the results in a grid then there would be one less reason to use threaded queries.

                          Erwin Rollauer, ISR, McGill University, 514 398-5023 ext 00626

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                            Options-->Oracle-->Transactions (or use the search feature in the
                            Options window). If you disable threaded queries then they will still be
                            cancelable.

                            Michael