AW: [toad] Create view with no error, but view does not exist

  • Klaus Veenhues
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2004
      Nachricht
      Hi Josef,

      I could reproduce that behaviour with 9.2.0.1 and sqlplus.

      It seams to be the problem of the "not_existing_link" or better the missing connection to the remote database.
      As I could figure out as far as Oracle could establish a connection to a database pointed by a link the

          "create or replace force view as select * from not_existing_tab@existing_link "

      will succeed with an invalid view as the "not_existing_tab" does not exist but the link does work fine.

      So, your problem should be solved by creating the database link before creating the views.
      If you couldn't get a connection to the remote database just let the database link point to your local database,
      create the views and after that, drop and recreate the database link.

      Klaus
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
        Nachricht
        Hi All,

        I am getting this error when I try to do explain plan in Toad 7.X version. My Oracle is 9i release 9.2

        ORA-00904: "PARTITION_STOP": invalid identifier

        Could any one help me out?

        Regards
        Sarada PRiya

      • John Dorlon
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
          Nachricht
          sounds like you have a plan_table from some older version of Oracle installed on your 9i database.

          you need to drop it and create a new one from oracle/rdbms/admin/utlxplan.sql

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
            That's exactly correct. It's not unusual to forget to
            recreate explain plan tables after an Oracle migration,
            especially if people have created their private versions
            all over the place. But note that explain plan tables are
            fully backward compatible - so you can use an Oracle 9i
            one with any prior version without problem. I point this
            out because sometimes people need to work with several
            different versions of Oracle and they can just run the
            9i utlxplan script in each. That way when those databases
            get upgraded you're already OK :)

            Bert

            --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, "John Dorlon" <john.dorlon@q...> wrote:
            > sounds like you have a plan_table from some older version of
            Oracle installed on your 9i database.

            > you need to drop it and create a new one from
            oracle/rdbms/admin/utlxplan.sql

          • ashok kumar
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
              Hi Sarada

                         Normally this error number is raising "Invalid Column Name".

                         I think this URL will help

              Regords
              Ashokkumar

              Sarada Priya <saradapriya@...> wrote:
              Hi All,

              I am getting this error when I try to do explain plan in Toad 7.X version. My Oracle is 9i release 9.2

              ORA-00904: "PARTITION_STOP": invalid identifier

              Could any one help me out?

              Regards
              Sarada PRiya

              Questions?  Try the on-line FAQ: http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html

              To download the beta: http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Sarada Priya
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                Hi All,

                I am getting this error when I try to do explain plan in Toad 7.X version.
                My Oracle is 9i release 9.2

                ORA-00904: "PARTITION_STOP": invalid identifier

                Could any one help me out?

                My Toad_plan_table and plan_table struc are as follows:

                SQL> desc toad_plan_table
                Name Null? Type
                ----------------------------------------- --------
                ----------------------------
                STATEMENT_ID VARCHAR2(32)
                TIMESTAMP DATE
                REMARKS VARCHAR2(80)
                OPERATION VARCHAR2(30)
                OPTIONS VARCHAR2(30)
                OBJECT_NODE VARCHAR2(128)
                OBJECT_OWNER VARCHAR2(30)
                OBJECT_NAME VARCHAR2(30)
                OBJECT_INSTANCE NUMBER
                OBJECT_TYPE VARCHAR2(30)
                SEARCH_COLUMNS NUMBER
                ID NUMBER
                COST NUMBER
                PARENT_ID NUMBER
                POSITION NUMBER
                CARDINALITY NUMBER
                OPTIMIZER VARCHAR2(255)
                BYTES NUMBER
                OTHER_TAG VARCHAR2(255)
                PARTITION_ID NUMBER
                PARTITION_START VARCHAR2(255)
                PARTITION_STOP VARCHAR2(255)
                DISTRIBUTION VARCHAR2(30)
                OTHER LONG

                SQL> desc plan_table
                Name Null? Type
                ----------------------------------------- --------
                ----------------------------
                STATEMENT_ID VARCHAR2(30)
                TIMESTAMP DATE
                REMARKS VARCHAR2(80)
                OPERATION VARCHAR2(30)
                OPTIONS VARCHAR2(255)
                OBJECT_NODE VARCHAR2(128)
                OBJECT_OWNER VARCHAR2(30)
                OBJECT_NAME VARCHAR2(30)
                OBJECT_INSTANCE NUMBER(38)
                OBJECT_TYPE VARCHAR2(30)
                OPTIMIZER VARCHAR2(255)
                SEARCH_COLUMNS NUMBER
                ID NUMBER(38)
                PARENT_ID NUMBER(38)
                POSITION NUMBER(38)
                COST NUMBER(38)
                CARDINALITY NUMBER(38)
                BYTES NUMBER(38)
                OTHER_TAG VARCHAR2(255)
                PARTITION_START VARCHAR2(255)
                PARTITION_STOP VARCHAR2(255)
                PARTITION_ID NUMBER(38)
                OTHER LONG
                DISTRIBUTION VARCHAR2(30)
                CPU_COST NUMBER(38)
                IO_COST NUMBER(38)
                TEMP_SPACE NUMBER(38)
                ACCESS_PREDICATES VARCHAR2(4000)
                FILTER_PREDICATES VARCHAR2(4000)

                Best Regards<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

                Sarada Priya

                [Sarada Priya T.V]

                I am getting this error when I try to do explain plan in Toad 7.X version.
                My Oracle is 9i release 9.2

                ORA-00904: "PARTITION_STOP": invalid identifier

                Could any one help me out?

                Regards
                Sarada PRiya

                Questions? Try the on-line FAQ: http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html
                <http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html>

                To download the beta: http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip
                <http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip>

                Questions? Try the on-line FAQ: http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html
                <http://www.toadsoft.com/faq2.html>

                To download the beta: http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip
                <http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              • Jeff Smith
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                  I think in the version you have, TOAD will try to determine if the view is updateable, and if so, attempt to return the rowid's.  This may be causing a problem for you in the SB, whereas in the Sql Editor, you're just bringing back the data from your SELECT...but you're not getting a ORA-XXXX message, so this may not be it.

                  Are you able to upgrade to the latest release, TOAD v7.6?

                  -jeff

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                      How would I go about upgrading?  We bought 7.5 last September.  Would we have to buy the new version?

                      I am not sure I understand - how can a view be updateable?  It is just a view of other tables.

                      Thanks,
                      Karen

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                        I don't wanna start talking contract stuff, but if you bought toad last sept., then there's a good chance you also have a valid support contract, which would allow you to upgrade at no additional cost.  Contact Quest Support to find out.

                        There is a oracle data dictionary view which we query to determine if a view's contents are updateable -

                        select * from  All_Updatable_columns
                        where owner ='X' and table_name='X'
                        and ((updatable='YES') or (insertable='YES') or (Deletable='YES'))

                        If your view comes back from this query, then TOAD will allow you to make changes to the data in the grid from the SB.

                        You can manually force this in the SE with the EDIT <view_name> command.

                        -jeff

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                          I don't have any blobs or clobs...
                          I get that error when there's a BLOB or CLOB field in the result set. If that is the case, don't include that field in the SELECT statement of the VIEW.

                          That is only a TOAD error since if I retrieve the data from other application, the field is returned correctly. I don't know if TOAD developers have solved this issue (I have the same TOAD version as you).

                          Jaime

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004

                            Good. We don’t want you guys to even come close to contracts. If you read too many contracts your skin gets scaly and you turn into Marketing Minions.

                            Erwin Rollauer, ISR, McGill University, 514 398-5023 ex 00626

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                              Message
                              Nah, but they may lose the ability to write sentences that are clear and understandable.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                                  You're welcome.

                                  The updateable view is just a guess as to what your AV might be being caused by.  If you upgrade and still experience the error, we'll either need to you to supply us the details of your view, data types, OS ENV etc to the list, or contact support to officially log the bug.

                                  -jeff
                                  Yes, we do have a support contract, so I suppose I could upgrade.  I didn't know about that, so thank you.

                                  And thank you for explaining about the updateable view, Jeff.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                                      Hello,

                                      By a show of hands please, how many people have successfully used command
                                      line compare of schemas in several databases with baselines, ie

                                      Db 1 sch1 baseline comp Db 1 sch1 today
                                      Db 1 sch2 baseline comp Db 1 sch2 today
                                      Db 1 sch3 baseline comp Db 1 sch3 today
                                      Db 2 sch1 baseline comp Db 2 sch1 today
                                      Db 2 sch2 baseline comp Db 2 sch2 today
                                      Db 2 sch3 baseline comp Db 2 sch3 today
                                      Db 3 sch1 baseline comp Db 3 sch1 today
                                      Db 3 sch2 baseline comp Db 3 sch2 today
                                      Db 3 sch3 baseline comp Db 3 sch3 today

                                      I tried many times unsuccessfully and the TOAD development team says it
                                      cannot reproduce the errors, but I can!
                                      So I was just wandering if this feature is used at all and what is the
                                      success rate...

                                      Thank you,