Problem with TOAD 7.3.0.0

  • Satya Prakash
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi List,

      I am facing a strange problem with TOAD (ver 7.3.0.0).

      I am not able to log onto my Oracle database server (
      9.2.0.1.0) thru TOAD. I am getting "ORA-00980: synonym
      translation is no longer valid".
      I do not know how this correlates with this error
      while connecting. I am able to connect to any other
      database thru TOAD.
      I am able to connect to my database using SQL* PLUS
      but my comfort level with TOAD is high that I do not
      want to revert to SQL * PLUS. ;)

      The things that I will list out are :
      1. Tried running the TOADPREP.sql from SQL*PLUS. The
      script goes thru fine without any problems.
      2. Nothing has happnened to my PC/Database since the
      last time I logged in to my machine. Very normal
      behavior.
      3. I can desribe all my toad specific tables from SQL*
      PLUS.
      4. The strange thing now (after running TOADPREP.sql)
      is that i can access all user tables but not dba
      tables(dynamic performance views)
      5. Stopped and restarted the servies but to no effect
      6. Even reinstalled TOAD but to no effect.
      7. I have checked the trace files, seems fine to me.

      Even though this issue is specific to TOAD, plz help
      me on this.
      I am in touch with the support also but I cannot wait
      for 1 day for their reply.
      Any pointers?
      Also, if possible plz mail me at
      satyaprakash_v@...

      Regards,
      Satya Prakash

    • Gina Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2003
        Did you check your Oracle_Home configuration on your PC? If you have
        installed the 9! client on your PC there may be multiple homes defined and
        TOAD is pointing to the 'wrong one'.

        Just click on the sqlnet info link on the TOAD connection page and drill
        down to verify your Oracle_Home info is set correctly.

        G-

        >From: Satya Prakash <satyaprakash_v@...>
        >To: toad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [toad] Problem with TOAD 7.3.0.0
        >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 04:39:43 +0100 (BST)
        >
        >Hi List,
        >
        >I am facing a strange problem with TOAD (ver 7.3.0.0).
        >
        >I am not able to log onto my Oracle database server (
        >9.2.0.1.0) thru TOAD. I am getting "ORA-00980: synonym
        >translation is no longer valid".
        >I do not know how this correlates with this error
        >while connecting. I am able to connect to any other
        >database thru TOAD.
        >I am able to connect to my database using SQL* PLUS
        >but my comfort level with TOAD is high that I do not
        >want to revert to SQL * PLUS. ;)
        >
        >The things that I will list out are :
        >1. Tried running the TOADPREP.sql from SQL*PLUS. The
        >script goes thru fine without any problems.
        >2. Nothing has happnened to my PC/Database since the
        >last time I logged in to my machine. Very normal
        >behavior.
        >3. I can desribe all my toad specific tables from SQL*
        >PLUS.
        >4. The strange thing now (after running TOADPREP.sql)
        >is that i can access all user tables but not dba
        >tables(dynamic performance views)
        >5. Stopped and restarted the servies but to no effect
        >6. Even reinstalled TOAD but to no effect.
        >7. I have checked the trace files, seems fine to me.
        >
        >Even though this issue is specific to TOAD, plz help
        >me on this.
        >I am in touch with the support also but I cannot wait
        >for 1 day for their reply.
        >Any pointers?
        >Also, if possible plz mail me at
        >satyaprakash_v@...
        >
        >Regards,
        >Satya Prakash

      • Jeff Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2003
          RE: [toad] Problem with TOAD 7.3.0.0

          Gina,

          Please go to www.toadsoft.com.  Go the the downloads page.  Get SQLMonitor - this will also be included it you upgrade your toad to version 7.5.

          Open TOAD.  Do not connect yet...Start SQLMonitor.  Start your connection in TOAD.  SQLMonitor should catch all the queries TOAD sends to your db experiencing the SYN error.  You should see the query that Oracle is tripping up on.  Hopefully you can then go and fix your syn problem...

          -jeff

          Did you check your Oracle_Home configuration on your PC?  If you have
          installed the 9! client on your PC there may be multiple homes defined and
          TOAD is pointing to the 'wrong one'.

          Just click on the sqlnet info link on the TOAD connection page and drill
          down to verify your Oracle_Home info is set correctly.

          G-

          >From: Satya Prakash <satyaprakash_v@...>
          >To: toad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [toad] Problem with TOAD 7.3.0.0
          >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 04:39:43 +0100 (BST)
          >
          >Hi List,
          >
          >I am facing a strange problem with TOAD (ver 7.3.0.0).
          >
          >I am not able to log onto my Oracle database server (
          >9.2.0.1.0) thru TOAD. I am getting "ORA-00980: synonym
          >translation is no longer valid".
          >I do not know how this correlates with this error
          >while connecting. I am able to connect to any other
          >database thru TOAD.
          >I am able to connect to my database using SQL* PLUS
          >but my comfort level with TOAD is high that I do not
          >want to revert to SQL * PLUS. ;)
          >
          >The things that I will list out are :
          >1. Tried running the TOADPREP.sql from SQL*PLUS. The
          >script goes thru fine without any problems.
          >2. Nothing has happnened to my PC/Database since the
          >last time I logged in to my machine. Very normal
          >behavior.
          >3. I can desribe all my toad specific tables from SQL*
          >PLUS.
          >4. The strange thing now (after running TOADPREP.sql)
          >is that i can access all user tables but not dba
          >tables(dynamic performance views)
          >5. Stopped and restarted the servies but to no effect
          >6. Even reinstalled TOAD but to no effect.
          >7. I have checked the trace files, seems fine to me.
          >
          >Even though this issue is specific to TOAD, plz help
          >me on this.
          >I am in touch with the support also but I cannot wait
          >for 1 day for their reply.
          >Any pointers?
          >Also, if possible plz mail me at
          >satyaprakash_v@...
          >
          >Regards,
          >Satya Prakash

        • Katherine Scott
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2003
            RE: [toad] Problem with TOAD 7.3.0.0

            The target for some synonym has apparently been dropped.  As Jeff notes, you can use the SQL Monitor to find out which query is failing.

            ORA-00980 synonym translation is no longer valid

            Cause: The synonym used is based on a table, view, or synonym that no longer exists.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2003
              Hi Jeff & Gina,

              Thanks a lot for the reply. Oracle Homes is not a problem and TOAD
              is pointing to the right home. As for SQLMonitor, i have pasted below
              the query which it has identified while connecting. I could not make
              out anything from this. Any pointers plz...

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:42.245

              Successful logon attempt (session tag: 0x157FEF4)
              username: 'PRAKASH'; database: 'SATYA.AD.INFOSYS.COM'

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:42.255

              select sid from V$SESSION where audsid = ( select USERENV
              ('SESSIONID') from
              dual )

              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:42.275

              SELECT * FROM session_roles where role='DBA'

              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.026

              begin sys.dbms_application_info.set_module('T.O.A.D.', null); end;

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.046

              SELECT version
              FROM sys.PRODUCT_COMPONENT_VERSION
              WHERE UPPER(PRODUCT) LIKE '%ORACLE%'

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.066

              SELECT * from session_privs where privilege='SELECT ANY DICTIONARY'

              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.497

              select /*+ RULE */ TABLE_NAME from all_tab_privs
              where table_name like 'DBA_%'
              and table_schema = 'SYS'
              and privilege='SELECT'

              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.637

              select /*+ RULE */ object_name from all_objects where
              object_name='DBMS_DEBUG'
              and object_type='PACKAGE' and owner='SYS'

              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.657

              select /*+ RULE */ object_name from all_objects where
              object_name='DBMS_PROFILER' and object_type='PACKAGE' and owner='SYS'

              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.667

              Select feature from toad.toad_security where user_name=USER or
              user_name in (
              select ROLE from session_roles)

              Oracle error occurred: 942 (ORA-00942: table or view does not exist)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.747

              select username from sys.all_users order by username

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 09:59:43.787

              SELECT TYPE_NAME FROM SYS.USER_TYPES ORDER BY TYPE_NAME

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 10:02:46.407

              select length(chr(2000000000)) from dual

              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 10:02:46.437

              Select /*+ CHOOSE */ object_name ObjectName, object_type ObjectType
              from
              user_objects where object_name = :OBJNAME order by 2

              :OBJNAME = 'V$SESSION'
              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)
              ----------------------------------
              Timestamp: 10:02:48.570

              Select /*+ CHOOSE */ object_name ObjectName, object_type ObjectType
              from
              user_objects where object_name = :OBJNAME order by 2

              :OBJNAME = 'V$SESSION'
              Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
              longer valid)

              Thanks and regards,
              Satya Prakash

              --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Smith <jeff.smith@q...> wrote:
              > Gina,
              >
              > Please go to www.toadsoft.com. Go the the downloads page. Get
              SQLMonitor -
              > this will also be included it you upgrade your toad to version 7.5.
              >
              > Open TOAD. Do not connect yet...Start SQLMonitor. Start your
              connection in
              > TOAD. SQLMonitor should catch all the queries TOAD sends to your db
              > experiencing the SYN error. You should see the query that Oracle is
              > tripping up on. Hopefully you can then go and fix your syn
              problem...

              > -jeff

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Bert Scalzo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                What this shows is that access to your data dictionary is
                somehow corrupted. I've seen this before. There are two
                possible casues that I know of (there could be more):

                1. you need to rerun catalog scripts to fix the
                data dictionary objects and their synonyms

                2. you might have a corrupted data block in the
                system tablespace data file which prevents
                access to data dictionary meta-data

                Either way, that's not a TOAD issue per se. For example,
                go into SQL Plus and issue one of the traced SQL commands
                and you should get the same error message ...

                Bert

                --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, "satyaprakash_v" <satyaprakash_v@y...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                  RE: [toad] Re: Problem with TOAD 7.3.0.0

                  Satya,

                  This indicates that your data dictionary is hosed.  Do you have a DBA you can call on for help?  Assuming you don't, then you need to recreate your data dictionary.  Before you do anything, I would make a full backup of your db.   You might want to start by looking at the catalog.sql script in your $ORACLE_HOME directory.  If you have Oracle support, i would advise going to MetaLink.  Or goto www.toadsoft.com and look at the Oracle Links for web resources.  Orafaq.com is a good place to start.

                  -jeff

> [...]

                  from
                  user_objects where object_name = :OBJNAME order by 2

                  :OBJNAME = 'V$SESSION'
                  Oracle error occurred: 980 (ORA-00980: synonym translation is no
                  longer valid)

                  Thanks and regards,
                  Satya Prakash

                  --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Smith <jeff.smith@q...> wrote:
                  > Gina,
                  >
                  > Please go to www.toadsoft.com.  Go the the downloads page.  Get
                  SQLMonitor -
                  > this will also be included it you upgrade your toad to version 7.5.
                  >
                  > Open TOAD.  Do not connect yet...Start SQLMonitor.  Start your
                  connection in
                  > TOAD.  SQLMonitor should catch all the queries TOAD sends to your db
                  > experiencing the SYN error.  You should see the query that Oracle is
                  > tripping up on.  Hopefully you can then go and fix your syn

                  To download the beta: http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip
                  Archives: http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/toad

                • satyaprakash_v
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Hi All,

                    Thanks all for your help. I will try these options and reply back
                    with whatever break throughs i achieve.
                    Beleive me, i was really bugged..

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
                      Hi List !

                      My problem with TOAD was fixed.I do not call it great but the
                      support i got from u folks is worth mentioning.
                      Solution Obtained:
                      1. Reverted back to TOAD 7.2 (IT still did not work even though I was
                      able to connect thru SQL *PLUS)
                      2. I took a back-up of my database and ran the catalog.sql script. I
                      got a few warnings but all my data dictionary objects were re-
                      created.
                      3. I am able to connect to my 9.2 db thru TOAD and access all dict
                      views.

                      Thanks one and all!

                      Regards,
                      Satya Prakash