[toad] Re: Understanding Explain Plan -Reply

  • Bryan Bell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 1999
      >>> "Steve Chapman" <schapman@...> 27 Feb 1999 @ 11:41
      The higher the cost number, the slower it will run, in general. But perhaps someone else did a query at the exact nanosecond of you running query (2), making it take longer to return.

      For any of you who subscribe to Oracle Developer mag, there is an article in the latest copy where it is disproved that the highest cost is always the slowest. It seems to be a ratio between the cost and the number of records processed. Yes, the select statement sequence will have an effect on the speed, but don't get hooked up on the cost values only. If I can get my hands on my copy, I'll post more on the conclusion.

      Bryan Bell.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/toad