UTF-8 client character set TOAD bug

  • James Holmes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2003
      RE: [toad] Re: Minor irritations
      Regarding beta 7.5.2.28  (and the one before it):

      I just changed character sets in my Oracle client to avoid conversions on export / import (it was WE8ISO8859P1 and I changed it to UTF8 to match our databases) and the data grid in the SB broke when displaying CLOBS. Beta 7.5.2.28  gave "OCI_DATA_NEEDED" as an error, the previous beta threw an AV.

      Changing back to WE8ISO8859P1 fixed the problem, but I am concerned about character set conversions in the export / import process.
    • Bert Scalzo <bert.scalzo@quest.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
        We are hard at work on Unicode tolerance for 7.5. That means you'll
        be able to retrieve Unicode data without getting any Oracle or Delphi
        errors.

        I am actually working on CLOB, NCLOB and LONG testing today.

        PS - you should be very careful about using import/export to change
        data. There are some very detailed reports on metalink on the many
        limitations with using these utilities as data conversion engines.

        Bert

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
          Just thought I'd point out something else you may not be aware of and
          why Unicode dev/test is so different. CLOB data is encoded as UCS-2
          when database character set is multi-byte such as using UTF-8. So we
          must test numerous combinations - some of which you may not be aware
          of as in this example. Not an excuse, just trying to make sure you
          know that we are on top of this and it's bigger than just UTF-8 ...

          Bert

          --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Scalzo <bert.scalzo@q...>"

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
            No criticism intended - TOAD is already much more tolerant of Unicode than
            it was. The work going on is evident in TOAD's ever increasing reliability.

            If everyone developed software the way you people do, seriously taking on
            board the input of a group like this, computing would be years ahead of its
            current state.

            <bert.scalzo@q...> wrote:
            > We are hard at work on Unicode tolerance for 7.5. That means you'll
            > be able to retrieve Unicode data without getting any Oracle or
            Delphi
            > errors.
            >
            > I am actually working on CLOB, NCLOB and LONG testing today.
            >
            > PS - you should be very careful about using import/export to change
            > data. There are some very detailed reports on metalink on the many
            > limitations with using these utilities as data conversion engines.
            >
            > Bert
            >
            > --- In toad@yahoogroups.com, James Holmes <j.r.holmes@e...> wrote:
            > > Regarding beta 7.5.2.28 (and the one before it):
            > >
            > > I just changed character sets in my Oracle client to avoid
            > conversions on
            > > export / import (it was WE8ISO8859P1 and I changed it to UTF8 to
            > match our
            > > databases) and the data grid in the SB broke when displaying
            CLOBS.
            > Beta
            > > 7.5.2.28 gave "OCI_DATA_NEEDED" as an error, the previous beta
            > threw an AV.
            > >
            > > Changing back to WE8ISO8859P1 fixed the problem, but I am
            concerned
            > about
            > > character set conversions in the export / import process.

            To download the beta: http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip
            Archives: http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/toad

          • Kevin McDonnell
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
              I am on Leave until 20/03/03. In the event that your request is of an
              urgent nature, please contact Jim Close (62163) or Brian Price
              (68350).