Kill/Trace Session

  • Steve Jelfs
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
      When I click on the explain plan tab in the above window I keep getting
      ora-00904 Invalid column name even though if I copy the sql into a sql
      editor window the explain plan tab works ok.

      Any ideas?? It only seems to be the case with one of my databases.

      Cheers

      Steve

      ps: Using Toad v7.3
    • Norman Dunbar
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
        Steve,

        you may find that the user you are in has created their own plan table with
        a wrong version of Oracle, or, the user has been upgraded from a previous
        version and the plan_table matches the old version. (Been there, read the
        book etc)

        login to the user, drop PLAN_TABLE and recreate it using the correct script
        for the current database version.

        If you find that the plan_table is a synonym (all mine are) then drop the
        one the synonym points to - and all will be well !!

        Cheers,
        Norman.

        -------------------------------------
        Norman Dunbar
        Database/Unix administrator
        Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
        mailto:Norman.Dunbar@...
        Tel: 0113 289 6265
        Fax: 0113 289 3146

        When I click on the explain plan tab in the above window I keep getting
        ora-00904 Invalid column name even though if I copy the sql into a sql
        editor window the explain plan tab works ok.

        Any ideas?? It only seems to be the case with one of my databases.

        Cheers

        Steve

        ps: Using Toad v7.3

        To download the beta: http://www.toadsoft.com/beta.zip
        Archives: http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/toad

        This email is intended only for the use of the addressees named above and
        may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not an addressee you
        must not read it and must not use any information contained in it, nor copy
        it, nor inform any person other than Lynx Financial Systems or the
        addressees of its existence or contents. If you have received this email
        and are not a named addressee, please delete it and notify the Lynx
        Financial Systems IT Department on 0113 2892990.
      • Steve Jelfs
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          Thanks Norman but I've tried that!! What I don't understand is why
          explain plan works in the sql editor!!

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            Steve,

            sorry - I've got no other suggestions I'm afraid.

            Cheers,
            Norman.

            -------------------------------------

          • Colin Wright
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
              OK, let's see if we can work this one out.

              Do you have any other same version dbs for which it works?

              Have you spooled the K/T SQL to screen to see exactly
              where it's failing. Perhaps it's not the explain plan itself?

              Have you spooled the SQL in the SQL Editor and K/T window
              to see what they do differently?

              Colin Wright
              Nottingham
              c.d.wright@...

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                Yes - it works with other versions.

                When I spool the sql to screen the last statement that runs before the
                error message is the select from the plan table. I can run this from a
                sql window at it returns the rows as it should!!

                The trace looks the same as it does from the sql editor window - with the
                exception of the exception!!! ;-)

                Steve

                > OK, let's see if we can work this one out.
                >
                > Do you have any other same version dbs for which it works?
                >
                > Have you spooled the K/T SQL to screen to see exactly
                > where it's failing. Perhaps it's not the explain plan itself?
                >
                > Have you spooled the SQL in the SQL Editor and K/T window
                > to see what they do differently?
                >
                > Colin Wright
                > Nottingham
                > c.d.wright@...

              • Katherine Scott
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                  RE: [toad] Kill/Trace Session

                  Under Options > Oracle, try putting the schema name in front of the table name for the explain plan.

                  Here's why I think that might help:

                  If you spool SQL to screen in TOAD 7.3, you'll see that before an Explain Plan in the Kill/Trace window, TOAD does an

                  ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_USER = ...

                  to set the "current user" to the user that originally ran the statement.  This is so that when an Explain Plan is done on "select * from emp", Oracle will know who "emp" belongs to.  Unfortunately, doing this also means that the Explain Plan statement and the statement to fetch the results also assume that current_user for the explain plan table, unless there is a public synonym or an owner name attached.

                  Plus, TOAD 7.3 was expecting a column in the Oracle 8.0 plan table that wasn't present there.  So unless you had TOAD's plan table, it was giving the "invalid column name" error.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                    Ah, that did it - putting the schema name in front did the trick!!

                    Thanks

                    Steve