TNC-X to Yaesu FT=350

  • bobfrost1505
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
      I would be interested to know if any members have been able to locate the proper cable to connect their TNC-X (5 pin DIN) to the FT-350s (8 pin DIN) or have any used another means to connect through the Microphone input?
    • Jonathan Thurman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012

        I believe I have seen them on ebay, but I just made one using an old 8 pin din serial cable, a new 5 pin din connector and the manuals for the 350 and tnc-x.  From a surplus store (I used surplus gizmos) it cost me about $2 and took 15 minutes to make.  Works great!

        -Jonathan

        On Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM, "bobfrost1505" <bobfrost1505@...> wrote:

        I would be interested to know if any members have been able to locate the proper cable to connect their TNC-X (5 pin DIN) to the FT-350s (8 pin DIN) or have any used another means to connect through the Microphone input?

      • Bob Frost
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
          Thanks Jonathan,
          Do you happen to remember the pin outs for the 5 and 8 pin DINs...I ask since I've read in some blog (can't find it now) that there were errors in the diagram pin outs in th Yaesu manual.
          Thanks again,
          Bob

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 15, 2012
            Sorry for the delay, I can't seem to find the diagram that I drew when creating the cable...  However, if you have the FTM-350 APRS manual, the diagrams in the very back are correct.  If I remember correctly, the confusion about the diagrams (specifically the DATA Jack Pin Assignment diagram) is that the view is of the back of the radio, so the cable pins would have to be a mirror image.  I'd recommend looking at the diagram for the CT-142 cable's FTM-350 side as a starting point.

            -Jonathan

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 2012
              I'm still working to connect my FT-350 to a TNC-X and since I find that I'm not able to purchase a cable I am making one up. However the pin outs from the 350's eight pin DIN have me confused since some are intended for use with APRS. Has anyone made up a cable for packet radio FT350 to a TNC-x and if so what FT-350 pins did you use.