BlueTooth is Now Available for Your TNC-X

  • John Hansen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
      Coastal ChipWorks is pleased to announce that TNC-X has gone Bluetooth.  X-BT is a BlueTooth daughter board that plugs into the expansion header that comes standard on every TNC-X.  It allows you to connect your BlueTooth enabled phone or PC to TNC-X totally wirelessly.  Now you can monitor APRS activity as you walk around your house carrying only your smartphone.

      X-BT supports Georg Lukas' (D01GL)  APRSDroid software for the Android platform. This is an excellent program that has both terminal and mapping modes.  Screenshots from APRSDroid can be seen on aprsdroid.org.

      X-BT comes wired and tested and costs only $25.  It is compatible with all versions of TNC-X.  Full details are available at www.tnc-x.com

      John Hansen W2FS
      Coastal ChipWorks
    • Colin Larsen

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
          John;

          Will this work with RMS Express as well?

          Thanks.
        • John Hansen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
            Yes and no.  I'm not aware of a version of RMS Express that runs on a smartphone, so if you were thinking about using it on your smartphone that may be an issue.  On the other hand, if you were thinking of running RMS Express on your laptop and your laptop supports Bluetooth, then it should work with no problem, because the Bluetooth connection is presented to the PC as a serial port.

            73, John W2FS
            Coastal ChipWorks

            On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, ke7tjk <ke7tjk@...> wrote:

            John;

            Will this work with RMS Express as well?

            Thanks.

          • Mike Geerhart
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2012
              John;

              I should have been a bit clearer.

              I'd like to use Bluetooth with my laptop, instead of using the USB cable.

              This is a solution that I have been waiting for. Thank you very much!!

              73's.
              Mike
              KE7TJK
            • John Hansen

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 16, 2012
                  John;

                  I have the module installed. Will it power up with an external source plugged into the jack, without moving a jumper? I normally power the TNC with the USB connection. I'd like to be able to use the USB connection as well as the bluetooth (not at the same time) without having to change anything.

                  Thanks.

                  Mike
                  KE7TJK
                • M & M Neno
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 17, 2012
                    If you remove the jumper from JP4 & solder a small bridge rect;  ( + to centre pin & ac leads to the 2 outside pins on JP4
                    , cut off - lead, ) you can connect power to either point without moving jumpers, even both at once as they can't back feed
                    each other. I think the one I used was a WO005, small 1.5 amp, out of the junk box.

                    My new BT unit works great with the phone running APRSDroid, but the serial port dosn't work while the BT is attached.
                    Haven't been able to get going with BT on laptop yet, more playing to do there I think.

                    73, Murray, ZL1ARL.

                    I have the module installed. Will it power up with an external source plugged into the jack, without moving a jumper? I normally power the TNC with the USB connection. I'd like to be able to use the USB connection as well as the bluetooth (not at the same time) without having to change anything.

                    Thanks.

                    Mike
                    KE7TJK

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • John Hansen

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 23, 2012
                        John;

                        I have installed the BT-X module, and have successfully paired the TNC-X with both my phone, and my PC. It is working perfectly for both APRS, and Winlink packet.

                        Thank you for getting this out here! It frees me from having to use cables, and has given me some flexibility. I'm working on getting it up and running on my old Android phone, and I'll use it for the APRS when mobile.

                        Mike
                        KE7TJK

                        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@...> wrote:

                        > Mike:
                        >
                        > Sorry to be delayed in getting back to you. While the manual labels
                        > jumpers JP4 and JP3 as allowing you to switch from serial to USB, that's
                        > really a bit of a simplification. Jumper JP4 determines where the TNC gets
                        > its power from. If it's toward the center of the board, it is powered from
                        > USB. In fact, even if someone didn't have the USB option in the TNC, if
                        > they installed a USB connector on the board, you could power the TNC this
                        > way even with no USB chip in the unit at all. So, yes, you can power it
                        > from the USB jack even if you are using the serial port or the BT module.
                        > Jumper JP3 controls the signal flow of the data being sent from the PC to
                        > the TNC for transmission. When placed toward the center of the board, the
                        > data is routed from the USB port; when placed toward the edge of the board,
                        > the data is routed from the serial port. When using the BT module, it
                        > should matter which way this jumper is set.
                        >
                        > 73, John W2FS
                        >
                        > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Mike Geerhart <ke7tjk@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > **
                        > > John;
                        > >
                        > > I have the module installed. Will it power up with an external source
                        > > plugged into the jack, without moving a jumper? I normally power the TNC
                        > > with the USB connection. I'd like to be able to use the USB connection as
                        > > well as the bluetooth (not at the same time) without having to change
                        > > anything.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks.
                        > >
                        > > Mike
                        > > KE7TJK

                      • John Hansen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 25, 2012
                          Great!  Thanks for the update.

                          John W2FS

                          On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM, ke7tjk <ke7tjk@...> wrote:

                          John;

                          I have installed the BT-X module, and have successfully paired the TNC-X with both my phone, and my PC. It is working perfectly for both APRS, and Winlink packet.

                          Thank you for getting this out here! It frees me from having to use cables, and has given me some flexibility. I'm working on getting it up and running on my old Android phone, and I'll use it for the APRS when mobile.

                          Mike
                          KE7TJK

                          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@...> wrote:

                          > Mike:
                          >
                          > Sorry to be delayed in getting back to you. While the manual labels
                          > jumpers JP4 and JP3 as allowing you to switch from serial to USB, that's
                          > really a bit of a simplification. Jumper JP4 determines where the TNC gets
                          > its power from. If it's toward the center of the board, it is powered from
                          > USB. In fact, even if someone didn't have the USB option in the TNC, if
                          > they installed a USB connector on the board, you could power the TNC this
                          > way even with no USB chip in the unit at all. So, yes, you can power it
                          > from the USB jack even if you are using the serial port or the BT module.
                          > Jumper JP3 controls the signal flow of the data being sent from the PC to
                          > the TNC for transmission. When placed toward the center of the board, the
                          > data is routed from the USB port; when placed toward the edge of the board,
                          > the data is routed from the serial port. When using the BT module, it
                          > should matter which way this jumper is set.
                          >
                          > 73, John W2FS
                          >
                          > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Mike Geerhart <ke7tjk@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > **

                          > > John;
                          > >
                          > > I have the module installed. Will it power up with an external source
                          > > plugged into the jack, without moving a jumper? I normally power the TNC
                          > > with the USB connection. I'd like to be able to use the USB connection as
                          > > well as the bluetooth (not at the same time) without having to change
                          > > anything.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks.
                          > >
                          > > Mike
                          > > KE7TJK

                        • Max
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 25, 2012
                            Doesn't the metal enclosure of the TNC-X shield the bluetooth antenna?

                            Max

                            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@...> wrote:

                            > Coastal ChipWorks is pleased to announce that TNC-X has gone Bluetooth.
                            > X-BT is a BlueTooth daughter board that plugs into the expansion header
                            > that comes standard on every TNC-X. It allows you to connect your
                            > BlueTooth enabled phone or PC to TNC-X totally wirelessly. Now you can
                            > monitor APRS activity as you walk around your house carrying only your
                            > smartphone.
                            >
                            > X-BT supports Georg Lukas' (D01GL) APRSDroid software for the Android
                            > platform. This is an excellent program that has both terminal and mapping
                            > modes. Screenshots from APRSDroid can be seen on aprsdroid.org.
                            >
                            > X-BT comes wired and tested and costs only $25. It is compatible with all
                            > versions of TNC-X. Full details are available at www.tnc-x.com
                            >
                            > John Hansen W2FS
                            > Coastal ChipWorks

                          • John Hansen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 25, 2012
                              I'm sure there is some effect.  But I'm not having any trouble connecting to it from across the room with the top on and the screws inserted.  The range might be further if you left the top off.  I know that when my wife is on her BT phone in the house and I go out and turn on the car in the driveway, I pick up the signal until I'm passing the neighbor's house as I go up the street.  So there is apparently more range to these things than I though.

                              John W2FS