It seems like I am totally confused:TNC-X with RMS Packet

  • Don Rolph
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
      I have RMS packet working solid as a rock with the following configuration:

      RMS packet station:
      - Alinco DR1200
      - Kantronics KPC3+
      - AGWPE driver

      RMS Express station:
      - IC 7000
      - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC

      However if I replace the KPC3+ with a TNC-X on the RMS Packet station, I do not get good communication:

      RMS packet station:
      - Alinco DR1200
      - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
      - AGWPE driver

      RMS Express station:
      - IC 7000
      - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC

      If I reverse the DR1200 and the IC7000, I can see the messages coming in in AGWPE mon, but the don't get to RMS Packet:

      RMS packet station:
      - IC7000
      - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
      - AGWPE packet driver

      RMS Express station:
      - Alinco DR1200
      - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC

      It almost looks like there is a problem with RMS Packet and the TNC-X.

      Thoughts on how to debug?

      Thanks

      73,
      AB1PH
      Don Rolph

      Sent from my iPad

      Sent from my iPad
    • Ted Seifert Jr
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
        Maybe it's just me but I don't use AGWPE on RMS express with the TNC-X.

        The only time I need AGWPE is when using Outpost. It won't work without it as a matter of fact.

        When I switch to RMS from Outpost I have to be sure to disable AGWPE so I can access the COM port. If I don't I get a connection error.

        Good Luck,

        Ted K2TJR

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
          This might help... There is a known bug in AGWPE in KISS mode it does not work properly with a terminal speed of 1200 baud. If you change it to 9600 you should have better luck.

          John W2FS

          Sent from my DroidX
        • gsw_mail
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
            Unless you have a specific need for it, I suggest you discontinue using AGWPE in the setup you described. It's not required.

            I have been successfully using a USB version of the TNC-X with RMS Packet for some time.

            Under Site Properties RMS Packet was configured for direct access to the TNC. Under Packet Channels TNC-X was selected and the appropriate COM port (corresponding to the USB port) assigned. This configuration operated reliably.

            In order to implement some other functionality I later installed BPQ32 and now use it to control the TNC-X. This setup continues to operate reliably.

            73.

            Gary S. Wong, W6GSW
            Northeast District, Los Angeles Section
            Amateur Radio Emergency Service

            W6GSW-10 | Winlink RMS Packet Gateway
            145.630 MHz | 1200 baud | DM04WB

            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Don Rolph <don.rolph@...> wrote:

            > I have RMS packet working solid as a rock with the following configuration:
            >
            > RMS packet station:
            > - Alinco DR1200
            > - Kantronics KPC3+
            > - AGWPE driver
            >
            > RMS Express station:
            > - IC 7000
            > - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
            >
            > However if I replace the KPC3+ with a TNC-X on the RMS Packet station, I do not get good communication:
            >
            > RMS packet station:
            > - Alinco DR1200
            > - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
            > - AGWPE driver
            >
            > RMS Express station:
            > - IC 7000
            > - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
            >
            > If I reverse the DR1200 and the IC7000, I can see the messages coming in in AGWPE mon, but the don't get to RMS Packet:
            >
            > RMS packet station:
            > - IC7000
            > - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
            > - AGWPE packet driver
            >
            > RMS Express station:
            > - Alinco DR1200
            > - TNC-X kiss mode only TNC
            >
            > It almost looks like there is a problem with RMS Packet and the TNC-X.
            >
            > Thoughts on how to debug?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > 73,
            > AB1PH