TNC-X Monitoring help

  • guacorecipe
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hello, I'm asking for suggestions on how to get the USB TNC-X to monitor packets.

      The Windows device manager shows the TNC on COM3 and that is how I have the AGWPE set up. Its properties are as shown on the TNC-X site.

      The TNC appears to be receiving packets. Its yellow LED illuminates when packets are heard on a separate receiver.

      I am using the AGWMonitor application, but it displays no packets. The TNC Radio Port I have set shows up as one of its tabs, but no received data appears anywhere in this application.
    • guacorecipe
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012
        I noticed that the TNC-X as shipped had its jumpers set for 1200 when the AGWPE recommendation was 9600. So I removed JP1 for 9600 but this didn't help.

        I also installed the Packet Engine Pro. Much better user interface! However, its auto scan of ports and baud rates does not detect my TNC-X on COM3.
      • John Hansen
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
          You've got several pieces of software running here so it is difficult to tell whether one of them is configured incorrectly (and if so, which one) or whether you have a hardware issue.  I'd suggest starting by not running AGWPE or AGWMonitor and just look at the incoming data on a plain vanilla terminal program (like Hyperterminal, for example).  The data will look like garbage, but you'll be able to tell if you are receiving data over the USB port.  Assuming that is working, you can then proceed to debug the AGWPE setup.  If it's not working, we can figure out what is wrong with the hardware or the connection between the TNC and your computer.

          I seem to remember somewhere that there is a know issue with AGWPE not working in KISS mode properly if it is set for 1200 baud, and many people have switched it to 9600 with good success.

          John W2FS

          On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM, guacorecipe <guacorecipe@...> wrote:

          Hello, I'm asking for suggestions on how to get the USB TNC-X to monitor packets.

          The Windows device manager shows the TNC on COM3 and that is how I have the AGWPE set up. Its properties are as shown on the TNC-X site.

          The TNC appears to be receiving packets. Its yellow LED illuminates when packets are heard on a separate receiver.

          I am using the AGWMonitor application, but it displays no packets. The TNC Radio Port I have set shows up as one of its tabs, but no received data appears anywhere in this application.

        • Don Rolph
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012

            I have found that debugging with the termite free terminal emulator in hex mode is very helpful here.

            If in hex mode you see a series of X80 and X00 bytes, you typically have a baud rate problem.  If you see true text, but it is garbled, then it may be a parity or number of bits problem.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
              I have heard from a number of people that they had problems with PEPro, when the PE non-pro worked just fine.  I've not owned the "Pro" version myself and don't know why this seems to be the case, but it does, for some reason.

              John W2FS