TNC-X half-way working

  • kj4rhb
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2012
      After having purchased the TNC-X many months ago, I finally had some time to recheck my solder work / connections.

      1. The TNC-X I have transmits fine.

      2. AGWPE sees sent and received frames.

      3. I am able to see received data via a terminal program.

      4. Orange LED comes on when APRS packets are received.

      Now, for the tricky part...

      UI-VIEW32 does not seem to decode the majority of APRS packets. I've had my setup running over night and no data was gated from RF to the internet.

      However, I can successfully gate traffic from RF to the internet by using an HT and transmitting my location data. I just don't see other folks' APRS data.

      So, what is going on?
    • vvk2him
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2012
        You're a few steps ahead of yourself in fault finding this :)

        1) Temporarily Disconnect from the APRS server from the Action menu for this fault finding

        2) Zoom the the small monitor terminal window at the bottom of uiview, by either double clicking the white window at the very bottom of uiview or by selecting "Zoom Monitor" under action

        3) When the Yellow LED flashes on the TNC-X you should see a packet decoded in the uiview monitor window. You are looking for a packet that has a capital R after the time as this denotes uiview has Received a packet (T after means it as transmitted). Following is an example from mine after I sent a beacon, note the T and the R after the time

        08:32:36T VK2HIM-1>APU25N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
        =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
        08:32:43R VK2HIM-1>APU25N,VK2MPJ-1*,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
        =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate

        4) Try sending a beacon (assuming your Station setup under the Setup menu has a positive value in the "Fixed" Beacon interval (mins) section (Not Zero)

        You should at least see the TX beacon, start fault finding based on if you get anything in the Monitor window and let us know how you go?

        Cheers
        Ian vk2him

        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kj4rhb" <juestel@...> wrote:

        > After having purchased the TNC-X many months ago, I finally had some time to recheck my solder work / connections.
        >
        > 1. The TNC-X I have transmits fine.
        >
        > 2. AGWPE sees sent and received frames.
        >
        > 3. I am able to see received data via a terminal program.
        >
        > 4. Orange LED comes on when APRS packets are received.
        >

        > Now, for the tricky part...
        >
        > UI-VIEW32 does not seem to decode the majority of APRS packets. I've had my setup running over night and no data was gated from RF to the internet.
        >
        > However, I can successfully gate traffic from RF to the internet by using an HT and transmitting my location data. I just don't see other folks' APRS data.
        >
        > So, what is going on?

      • kj4rhb
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2012
          Thanks for your reply... I did what you suggested, but I am still scratching my head.

          I do not see any packets decoded in the uiview monitor window. The only time this happens, is when I transmit from my HT close by.

          It seems like the receive sensitivity on the VX-3R that I am using is not good enough to hear APRS packets from far away. When I replace the VX-3R with a simple scanner - uiview shows everything just fine.

          I therefor believe my uiview software is configured correctly, since I have been using this setup for many months now.

          I just want to swap out the scanner for the VX-3R HT that I have laying around so that I can beacon / digi-peat APRS data.

          Transmitting a beacon with the VX-3R works.

          Any other suggestions?

          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "vvk2him" <vk2him@...> wrote:

          > You're a few steps ahead of yourself in fault finding this :)
          >
          > 1) Temporarily Disconnect from the APRS server from the Action menu for this fault finding
          >
          > 2) Zoom the the small monitor terminal window at the bottom of uiview, by either double clicking the white window at the very bottom of uiview or by selecting "Zoom Monitor" under action
          >
          > 3) When the Yellow LED flashes on the TNC-X you should see a packet decoded in the uiview monitor window. You are looking for a packet that has a capital R after the time as this denotes uiview has Received a packet (T after means it as transmitted). Following is an example from mine after I sent a beacon, note the T and the R after the time
          >
          > 08:32:36T VK2HIM-1>APU25N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
          > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
          > 08:32:43R VK2HIM-1>APU25N,VK2MPJ-1*,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
          > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
          >
          > 4) Try sending a beacon (assuming your Station setup under the Setup menu has a positive value in the "Fixed" Beacon interval (mins) section (Not Zero)
          >
          > You should at least see the TX beacon, start fault finding based on if you get anything in the Monitor window and let us know how you go?
          >
          > Cheers
          > Ian vk2him
        • vvk2him
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2012
            Hi there,

            I think you have done some good fault finding - the place to look is the VX-3R for a start, then the TNC-X

            Some things to check:

            1) The Squelch should be fully open as delays in opening the squelch can lead to the first part of the packet being "missed" by the TNC-X and hence no decode
            2) Can you hear any packet audio at all?
            - If not, then are you on the right frequency ... note some radios by default add an offset as they are expecting to be used via repeaters in certain bands ... I'm not sure if the VX-3R does however I know my Kenwood does and I need to turn off the repeater offset. The fact that it can transmit (and I assume you can see your posit via the internet)means you are TXing on the right frequency, but what about the RX?

            - If you can hear packet audio:

            a) Do you have the volume up loud enough? I also recall seeing in this forum some notes stating that certain radios need a few resistor changes in the TNC-X as the Audio out on those radios

            b) Follow the fault finding notes in the TNC-X instruction manual and trace the audio through the various components.

            Good luck, let us knoe how you go and if you still have trouble, try giving as much detailed info as possible about what you have done and what is happening as "it's still not working" doesn't give us many clues :)

            Cheers
            Ian vk2him

            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kj4rhb" <juestel@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your reply... I did what you suggested, but I am still scratching my head.
            >
            > I do not see any packets decoded in the uiview monitor window. The only time this happens, is when I transmit from my HT close by.
            >
            > It seems like the receive sensitivity on the VX-3R that I am using is not good enough to hear APRS packets from far away. When I replace the VX-3R with a simple scanner - uiview shows everything just fine.
            >
            > I therefor believe my uiview software is configured correctly, since I have been using this setup for many months now.
            >
            > I just want to swap out the scanner for the VX-3R HT that I have laying around so that I can beacon / digi-peat APRS data.
            >
            > Transmitting a beacon with the VX-3R works.
            >
            > Any other suggestions?
            >

            > --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "vvk2him" <vk2him@> wrote:
            > >
            > > You're a few steps ahead of yourself in fault finding this :)
            > >
            > > 1) Temporarily Disconnect from the APRS server from the Action menu for this fault finding
            > >
            > > 2) Zoom the the small monitor terminal window at the bottom of uiview, by either double clicking the white window at the very bottom of uiview or by selecting "Zoom Monitor" under action
            > >
            > > 3) When the Yellow LED flashes on the TNC-X you should see a packet decoded in the uiview monitor window. You are looking for a packet that has a capital R after the time as this denotes uiview has Received a packet (T after means it as transmitted). Following is an example from mine after I sent a beacon, note the T and the R after the time
            > >
            > > 08:32:36T VK2HIM-1>APU25N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
            > > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
            > > 08:32:43R VK2HIM-1>APU25N,VK2MPJ-1*,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
            > > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
            > >
            > > 4) Try sending a beacon (assuming your Station setup under the Setup menu has a positive value in the "Fixed" Beacon interval (mins) section (Not Zero)
            > >
            > > You should at least see the TX beacon, start fault finding based on if you get anything in the Monitor window and let us know how you go?
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Ian vk2him

          • John Hansen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2012
              Do make sure the squelch on the radio is full open.  If the radio is squelched, you may miss the first part of each packet.

              John W2FS

              On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM, kj4rhb <juestel@...> wrote:

              Thanks for your reply... I did what you suggested, but I am still scratching my head.

              I do not see any packets decoded in the uiview monitor window. The only time this happens, is when I transmit from my HT close by.

              It seems like the receive sensitivity on the VX-3R that I am using is not good enough to hear APRS packets from far away. When I replace the VX-3R with a simple scanner - uiview shows everything just fine.

              I therefor believe my uiview software is configured correctly, since I have been using this setup for many months now.

              I just want to swap out the scanner for the VX-3R HT that I have laying around so that I can beacon / digi-peat APRS data.

              Transmitting a beacon with the VX-3R works.

              Any other suggestions?

              --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "vvk2him" <vk2him@...> wrote:

              > You're a few steps ahead of yourself in fault finding this :)
              >
              > 1) Temporarily Disconnect from the APRS server from the Action menu for this fault finding
              >
              > 2) Zoom the the small monitor terminal window at the bottom of uiview, by either double clicking the white window at the very bottom of uiview or by selecting "Zoom Monitor" under action
              >
              > 3) When the Yellow LED flashes on the TNC-X you should see a packet decoded in the uiview monitor window. You are looking for a packet that has a capital R after the time as this denotes uiview has Received a packet (T after means it as transmitted). Following is an example from mine after I sent a beacon, note the T and the R after the time
              >
              > 08:32:36T VK2HIM-1>APU25N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
              > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
              > 08:32:43R VK2HIM-1>APU25N,VK2MPJ-1*,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
              > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
              >
              > 4) Try sending a beacon (assuming your Station setup under the Setup menu has a positive value in the "Fixed" Beacon interval (mins) section (Not Zero)
              >
              > You should at least see the TX beacon, start fault finding based on if you get anything in the Monitor window and let us know how you go?
              >
              > Cheers
              > Ian vk2him

            • gsw_mail
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
                Be sure to set the "receive battery saver" (menu 72, SAVERX) on the VX-3R to "off". See the comments on pages 9, 93 and 119 of the VX-3R operating manual. Unless set to "off" the VX-3R is missing the start of each incoming packet, preventing proper decoding.

                You may also want to set menu 73, SAVETX to "off". Setting both options "off" seems to increase reliability for me when I use the VX-3R to demonstrate a small, portable packet/Winlink/APRS station.

                73.

                Gary S. Wong
                W6GSW
                Emergency Coordinator
                Northeast District, Los Angeles Section
                Amateur Radio Emergency Service
                ARRL-accredited Volunteer Examiner
                Email w6gsw@...

                --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kj4rhb" <juestel@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for your reply... I did what you suggested, but I am still scratching my head.
                >
                > I do not see any packets decoded in the uiview monitor window. The only time this happens, is when I transmit from my HT close by.
                >
                > It seems like the receive sensitivity on the VX-3R that I am using is not good enough to hear APRS packets from far away. When I replace the VX-3R with a simple scanner - uiview shows everything just fine.
                >
                > I therefor believe my uiview software is configured correctly, since I have been using this setup for many months now.
                >
                > I just want to swap out the scanner for the VX-3R HT that I have laying around so that I can beacon / digi-peat APRS data.
                >
                > Transmitting a beacon with the VX-3R works.
                >
                > Any other suggestions?
                >

                > --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "vvk2him" <vk2him@> wrote:
                > >
                > > You're a few steps ahead of yourself in fault finding this :)
                > >
                > > 1) Temporarily Disconnect from the APRS server from the Action menu for this fault finding
                > >
                > > 2) Zoom the the small monitor terminal window at the bottom of uiview, by either double clicking the white window at the very bottom of uiview or by selecting "Zoom Monitor" under action
                > >
                > > 3) When the Yellow LED flashes on the TNC-X you should see a packet decoded in the uiview monitor window. You are looking for a packet that has a capital R after the time as this denotes uiview has Received a packet (T after means it as transmitted). Following is an example from mine after I sent a beacon, note the T and the R after the time
                > >
                > > 08:32:36T VK2HIM-1>APU25N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
                > > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
                > > 08:32:43R VK2HIM-1>APU25N,VK2MPJ-1*,WIDE2-2 Port=1 <UI C Len=52>:
                > > =3445.21S115049.36E#PHG54302 Illawarra Region Igate
                > >
                > > 4) Try sending a beacon (assuming your Station setup under the Setup menu has a positive value in the "Fixed" Beacon interval (mins) section (Not Zero)
                > >
                > > You should at least see the TX beacon, start fault finding based on if you get anything in the Monitor window and let us know how you go?
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > > Ian vk2him

              • Max
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
                  Also keep the VX3R as far away from electrical noise producing equipment, such as the computer itself. Are you using an external antenna on the HT?

                  Max

                  --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kj4rhb" <juestel@...> wrote:

                  > After having purchased the TNC-X many months ago, I finally had some time to recheck my solder work / connections.
                  >
                  > 1. The TNC-X I have transmits fine.
                  >
                  > 2. AGWPE sees sent and received frames.
                  >
                  > 3. I am able to see received data via a terminal program.
                  >
                  > 4. Orange LED comes on when APRS packets are received.
                  >

                  > Now, for the tricky part...
                  >
                  > UI-VIEW32 does not seem to decode the majority of APRS packets. I've had my setup running over night and no data was gated from RF to the internet.
                  >
                  > However, I can successfully gate traffic from RF to the internet by using an HT and transmitting my location data. I just don't see other folks' APRS data.
                  >
                  > So, what is going on?

                • Beischel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                    Where I had issues in the past is with the amount of audio coming from some of the fixed audio/packet out ports on radios. Especially Yaesu radios. When I fed the speaker audio to the TNC and I could vary/increase the audio being sent to the TNC-X, it worked.

                    Not sure how you are using it, but try feeding audio from the external speaker port to the TNC-X and see if that improves the reception of packets.

                    Duffy
                    www.wb8nut.com

                    --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kj4rhb" <juestel@...> wrote:

                    > After having purchased the TNC-X many months ago, I finally had some time to recheck my solder work / connections.
                    >
                    > 1. The TNC-X I have transmits fine.
                    >
                    > 2. AGWPE sees sent and received frames.
                    >
                    > 3. I am able to see received data via a terminal program.
                    >
                    > 4. Orange LED comes on when APRS packets are received.
                    >

                    > Now, for the tricky part...
                    >
                    > UI-VIEW32 does not seem to decode the majority of APRS packets. I've had my setup running over night and no data was gated from RF to the internet.
                    >
                    > However, I can successfully gate traffic from RF to the internet by using an HT and transmitting my location data. I just don't see other folks' APRS data.
                    >
                    > So, what is going on?

                  • Don Rolph
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                      I have been lurking on the discussion for some time, but the discussion seems to be perilously close to my experience with using a Wouxon KG3 to drive a TNC-X.  The short answer was that the audio out of the Wouxon was of inadequate quality to get reliable decoding from the TNC-X.  Simply moving to a different system with much lower noise on the receiver resulted in success.

                      I still have not gotten the Wouxon to work with the TNC-X and it  is not clear to me that the apparent higher noise level issue can be resolved.

                    • lists@ke4nyv.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                        Don,

                        I have done some extensive testing with the Wouxun, Baofeng and FDC radios.  They all will work, most use a Kenwood HT style pinout.  However, they all have a horrible squelch gate delay.  Meaning, if you have even the slightest squelch level set, the receiver will not snap open quick enough to get the whole packet.  I was able to run mine full open squelch and have decent results.

                        The RF hash noise is another issue and I am currently dealing with that in my home.  It's actually affected my Chicom cheapies, right on down to my Kenwood 271's and others.  The shocker?  My Alinco DR-135's don't seem to hear the noise at all.  A run up on the service monitor showed good, clean audio at 0.2uV (about -115 dBm) @ 12dB SINAD.  So it's not a case of poor sensitivity, thus not hearing the noise.

                        I went as far as to cut the main breaker in my house and the noise was still there.  It's outside, really making me pull out the hair I have left :/

                        Back to the Chicom Cheapies, the Baofeng had the worst of the squelch problems.  It's a GREAT voice radio, but not really my choice for packet.  Also, the single 1/4" (3.5mm) speaker/mic jack is NOT the industry standard.  I have it written down somewhere in my notes, but the main gist is, the TX audio, RX audio and PTT lines are all separate.  They seem to like the Kenwood idea of keeping the lines separate, even in the HT's.  However, KENWOOD's HT's that utilize the single speaker/mic jack connection DO use the industry standard.  In that case, the standard has the TX audio and PTT lines combined.

                        Hope that info is beneficial!

                        Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
                        RPC Electronics, LLC
                        www.rpc-electronics.com

                        I have been lurking on the discussion for some time, but the discussion seems to be perilously close to my experience with using a Wouxon KG3 to drive a TNC-X.  The short answer was that the audio out of the Wouxon was of inadequate quality to get reliable decoding from the TNC-X.  Simply moving to a different system with much lower noise on the receiver resulted in success.

                        I still have not gotten the Wouxon to work with the TNC-X and it  is not clear to me that the apparent higher noise level issue can be resolved.

                        On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Beischel <beischel@...> wrote:

                        Where I had issues in the past is with the amount of audio coming from some of the fixed audio/packet out ports on radios. Especially Yaesu radios. When I fed the speaker audio to the TNC and I could vary/increase the audio being sent to the TNC-X, it worked.

                        Not sure how you are using it, but try feeding audio from the external speaker port to the TNC-X and see if that improves the reception of packets.

                        Duffy
                        www.wb8nut.com

                        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kj4rhb" <juestel@...> wrote:

                        > After having purchased the TNC-X many months ago, I finally had some time to recheck my solder work / connections.
                        >
                        > 1. The TNC-X I have transmits fine.
                        >
                        > 2. AGWPE sees sent and received frames.
                        >
                        > 3. I am able to see received data via a terminal program.
                        >
                        > 4. Orange LED comes on when APRS packets are received.
                        >

                        > Now, for the tricky part...
                        >
                        > UI-VIEW32 does not seem to decode the majority of APRS packets. I've had my setup running over night and no data was gated from RF to the internet.
                        >
                        > However, I can successfully gate traffic from RF to the internet by using an HT and transmitting my location data. I just don't see other folks' APRS data.
                        >
                        > So, what is going on?

                      • kj4rhb
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                          First of all I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my original request for assistance.

                          I finally have my TNC-X working properly with Ui-view to send and receive APRS packets using a VX-3R handheld.

                          For those of you interested in my experience - continue reading below, or just skip all the way to the bottom for my conclusion:

                          HISTORY:

                          Originally, when I purchased the TNC-X and put it together; I was able to transmit, but never receive anything. Then just recently, I found the time to re-solder some of the connections on the board which I thought could be a problem.

                          I then created a simple circuit board with a capacitor and a couple of resistors along with separate audio plugs to plug into my Yaesu VX-3R using the CT-44 mic adapter and another cable to the TNC-X.

                          Once everything was hooked-up, I was able to see the yellow LED flash on the TNC and AGWPE was showing both received and sent packets. However, ui-view never registered anything.

                          The only time ui-view responded with received data was when I used another HT to transmit my location data. Obviously when I did this, I was fairly close to the TNC-X and receiver.

                          That's where I was stumped... until yesterday, when I got so fed-up with things that I re-wired my Signalink USB and used it with AGWPE to see what was going on.

                          With the Signalink connected - I could see audio coming into the PC as well as hear the audio by connecting a headset to the back of the Signalink. Again though, ui-view was not showing anything.

                          That's when I swaped antennas on my HT and all of the sudden received packets!

                          You see, I was using an external antenna which I have mounted by the window with my HT. When I went from the direct connect antenna back to the external window antenna - things stopped working again.

                          Aha!

                          Well, even though the external antenna was screwed-on tightly to its base - it wasn't making a good connection. I loosend things up a bit and data started flowing again.

                          At that point, I was thinking to myself that the problem could have not been this simple the whole time. I then unplugged the Signalink USB setup and went back to the TNC-X. Configured AGWPE again to work with the TNC-X and once again - no luck.

                          I then went directly into Ui-view and configured the software to work with KISS instead of AGWPE.... SUCCESS!!!

                          Everything works like a charm! I cannot express how frustrated I was getting this TNC to work - I was about to toss it to the side and go a different route altogether.

                          CONCLUSION:

                          I believe the problems I had was a culmination of events.

                          1. Bad solder points on the circuit board (my doing).

                          2. Bad / inconsistent antenna connection.

                          3. AGWPE not configured / working properly.

                          VX-3R SETUP:

                          For those folks who are wanting to connect a VX-3R to your TNC-X:

                          1. You'll need to purchase the CT-44 microphone adapter.

                          2. Create a simple circuit with a 2000 Ohm Resistor and .10uF capacitor and audio plugs. Circuit diagram can be found in the Yeasu manual for the VX-3R.

                          3. Set the audio volume to 15.

                          4. Set squelch level to 0 (all the way open).

                          5. Turn-off any power save functions (for transmit and receive).

                          Well, that's my story... I hope others can learn from my experience.

                          Now, that I have everything working - I'm glad I bought the TNC-X kit and put it together on my own. There is simply no better way to learn something than doing it yourself.

                          Thanks again for everyones help!

                          73,

                          Mario / KJ4RHB