Re: Terminal Program for Windows 7

  • wh7tw
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 11, 2011
      I'll toss this out FWIW. I read about a WinXP mode that runs under Win7. It's something like an emulator and is a virtual PC. I have never used it so YMMV. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

      Steve

      --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Richard Briggs <hstkmtn@...> wrote:

      > I think I should have said I was looking for a terminal program that has the ability to give me a cmd: prompt like WINTNC so I can mess around with my two TNCs without twiddling bits at a very low level.
      >
      > I can send "C KL7XXX" to another station and disconnect too but the working terminal emulators I am familiar with don't allow fooling around with packet length, tries, etc in KISS mode like WINTNC does.  I would hope I wouldn't have to secure a WinXP machine just to run old software.  AGWMonitor does a good job "reading the mail" but can't send.
      >
      > I'm new at this AX.25 stuff but I have a datacomm background.
      >
      > Any other ideas?
      >
      > Rick Briggs
      > KL7BR

    • john_ke5c
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2011
        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Richard Briggs <hstkmtn@...> wrote:

        > I think I should have said I was looking for a terminal program that has the ability to give me a cmd: prompt like WINTNC so I can mess around with my two TNCs without twiddling bits at a very low level.
        >
        > I can send "C KL7XXX" to another station and disconnect too but the working terminal emulators I am familiar with don't allow fooling around with packet length, tries, etc in KISS mode like WINTNC does.  I would hope I wouldn't have to secure a WinXP machine just to run old software.  AGWMonitor does a good job "reading the mail" but can't send.
        >
        > I'm new at this AX.25 stuff but I have a datacomm background.
        >
        > Any other ideas?

        Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_node_controller

        Note the part about: "Because the TNC contains all the intelligence needed to communicate over an AX.25 network, no external computer is required. All of the network's resources can be accessed using a dumb terminal." A "terminal program" in the usual sense simply emulates a dumb terminal.

        Then read this: http://www.tnc-x.com/kiss.htm

        Note the part about: "At the same time, since computers had more processing power, it was possible to move some the data packaging functions from the TNC to the computer as well. There were a couple of different protocols developed for doing this, but the one that achieved the widest acceptance was "KISS" mode..."

        The TNC-X is not a full TNC implementation like a Kantronics, etc. The TNC-X lacks data packing and unpacking and the "cmd:" type of interface. You cannot use the TNC-X with a terminal program and access a "cmd:" interface because it simply doesn't have it. You need a "packet program" of some type, e.g., wintnc, etc., to do anything useful with the TNC-X rather than a "terminal program".

        73--john
      • Charles Brabham
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
          Packet programs that utilize KISS mode are very common, and they work well. If memory serves, all of them allow you to tinker with the link parameters, but you have to set the parameters in your software setup, instead of entering changes from a command line.

          I like it this way best, as it makes it easier to keep track of changes that you have made, and see what effect they have had.

          73 DE Charles, N5PVL