X-Track

  • J. Rausch
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2005
      I ordered my X-Track last night. Looking forward to getting it and
      trying it out. I think once I get that, I'll finally mount my TNC-X
      and the X-Track board in a metal Hammond case and remote all of the
      jacks, connectors and LEDs out to the front and back sides. Looks
      like a neat little add-on.

      Now if someone would just do the digi-peater daughterboard. I REALLY
      need that.

      Jason KE4NYV
      www.ke4nyv.com
      RPC Electronics
      www.rpc-electronics.com
    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2005
        Your X-Track went in the mail today. There are a couple of people who
        have said they were working on a digipeter, but so far I've not seen
        much of anything. Spring break starts this Friday and I'm giving some
        serious thought to doing a crash program in digi design. Like see if it
        can be done in a week. My big problem is figuring out exactly what it
        should do ... Do you know of any concise (and I mean simple and concise)
        description of what a basic APRS digipeter should do. Any pointers
        would be appreciated.

        One other thing. I've got 30 TNC-X boards left in stock and I'm
        beginning to give some thought to what the next batch should look like.
        One possibility is to try to make it mate with the HumHud as we
        discussed in Des Moines. Do you have any information on the HamHud
        board size and mounting hole placement?

        Nice to hear from you. At least it's warmer where you are!

        John W2FS

        J. Rausch wrote:

        > I ordered my X-Track last night. Looking forward to getting it and
        > trying it out. I think once I get that, I'll finally mount my TNC-X
        > and the X-Track board in a metal Hammond case and remote all of the
        > jacks, connectors and LEDs out to the front and back sides. Looks
        > like a neat little add-on.
        >
        > Now if someone would just do the digi-peater daughterboard. I REALLY
        > need that.
      • J. Rausch
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15, 2005
          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@h...> wrote:
          > Your X-Track went in the mail today.

          Thanks!

          >There are a couple of people who
          > have said they were working on a digipeter, but so far I've not seen
          > much of anything.

          I tried getting a hold of Rich Painter to see what his progress was
          and never heard anything back.

          >Spring break starts this Friday and I'm giving some
          > serious thought to doing a crash program in digi design. Like see
          >if it
          > can be done in a week. My big problem is figuring out exactly what
          >it
          > should do ... Do you know of any concise (and I mean simple and
          concise)
          > description of what a basic APRS digipeter should do. Any pointers
          > would be appreciated.

          Basically, to me, it should do call-subbing, WIDEn-n decrementing and
          answer queries. Also, probaly a terminal type of interface to set
          parameters: call, unproto path, position string and position comment.

          > One other thing. I've got 30 TNC-X boards left in stock and I'm
          > beginning to give some thought to what the next batch should look
          like.
          > One possibility is to try to make it mate with the HumHud as we
          > discussed in Des Moines. Do you have any information on the HamHud
          > board size and mounting hole placement?

          Yes, I can get you the info for the current boards. Let me get ahold
          of Dale and check with him. The addons will be great for current
          HH2's, we also have the new all-in-one combo board that Juergen is
          working on with about 98% SMT parts. I can't speak for everyone, but
          I think with those boards many were looking at making a "donation" to
          you for the use of the TNC-X firmware.

          I'm really hoping you'll take in mind a few of the suggestions I made
          before for the new layout of the TNC-X board:

          1. Two RJ-45 jacks; one for serial and one for radio.
          2. Standard solder pads to accept a coaxial style power socket.
          3. Put all connections on one edge of the board.
          4. LEDs on opposite edge of the connectors edge.

          Just rough-eyeing it, I think you can get the two RJ-45s, coaxial jack
          and USB module all on one of the longer edges of the current board
          size. basically everything would just have to be shifted around some.
          Also, I'm thinking about taking a multi-dip switch assembly and
          connecting it to the jumper points, that way USB or serial could be
          switched via back panel. I want to put this all into a metal Hammond
          case and of course add in the new X-Tracked board with a stereo 1/8"
          jack on the back for GPS input.

          Just my $0.02

          > Nice to hear from you. At least it's warmer where you are!

          Good to hear form you too! Not much warmer, haha. Hope to see you in
          Dayton!

          Jason KE4NYV
          www.ke4nyv.com
          RPC Electronics