New TNC-X Some Success and Some Failure

  • singularindividual
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 17, 2010
      Hello.

      I just built a TNC-X. I've had some success and some failure. I can receive just fine, and I can sort of transmit.

      Here are my issues.

      I'm using the TXTest program I downloaded from the TNC-X website. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. I quickly found I need to run TXTest as Administrator, this isn't a surprise given what TXTest needs to do.

      My first problem is more of a question. I found that the red TX light on the TNC-X will only illuminate if I set the speed in TXTest to 19200, if I set any other speed nothing happens on the TNC-X. Is this expected? I thought it was sort of odd. If I set speed to 19200 in TXTest the red LED illuminates for a second or two and then goes out.

      The other problem I have is related to my radio. I'm using a Yeasu VX-7R. When I connect the TNC-X to the radio and transmit the transmit gets stuck on until I turn the radio off. Basically the red LED illuminates and the radio transmits, the red LED goes out by the radio continues to trasmit nothing, it is just stuck. I have to turn the radio off, turning off the TNC-X by removing USB power does nothing. I also notice when I transmit the computer makes the sound which indicates a new USB device has been attached. This only happens if I use TXTest while the radio is attached, it doesn't happen if the radio is not attached.

      Here is the wiring diagram I used

      TNC-X Radio
      Tip MIC-->10uF Capacitor--

      Ring PTT-->2KOhm Resistor-------->Tip
      2.5mm Mono Jack
      Ring2 GND------------------------->Ring

      Basically on the TNC-X side I'm going tip to 10uF capacitor, middle ring to resister, the free ends of the resistor and capacitor are then connected together and connected to the insulated conductor of my cable. That is then connected to the tip of a 2.5mm mono jack on the radio side. The outer ring on the TNC-X side is connected to the ring on the radio side using the ground braid in my cable.

      Does anybody have any thoughts on what might be going wrong here?

      Craig VE6TBW
    • Bernie Huth
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 17, 2010
        Re: [tnc-x] New TNC-X Some Success and Some Failure I have a general comment and that is to put clamp-on ferrites common-mode chokes on both the audio cables and the USB cable.  RFI can be a problem with computer/radio interfaces that can create strange behavior which is sometimes intermittant and difficult to diagnose.  I am using the TNC-X with an Alinco DR-135 MkII at 19200 baud, and it works very well.

        It sounds like you have wired the interconnection according to the diagram in the VX-7R manual.

        Bernie
        W4BGH
        --------------

[...]

      • John Hansen
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2010
          Craig:

          The fact that it only works at 19200 means that the TNC thinks it's set up for 19200 baud.  This would normally be the case if either there the jumpers were set for 19200 (both off) or if there was a problem with one of the solder joints in the vicinity of those jumpers.

          The problem of it being "stuck on" is related to one of two things.  I assume since you are using this with an HT, you are using the standard resistor/capacitor circuit to interface it with the TNC.  The transmit can get stuck on if the resistance value in this circuit is too low.  You might try raising it.

          On the other hand, if you are running the HT on high power and it is sitting close to the TNC, RF may be getting into the TNC from the HT.  To test this, trying running the HT on low power.  If that doesn't make  difference, the problem probably lies with the resistor value.

          John Hansen W2FS
          Coastal ChipWorks

          On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM, singularindividual <metadata42@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Dick Foster
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2010
            Craig,

            The red transmit light coming on for a second shows you are
            communicating PC to TNC-X at 19,200 baud. It's not working at any other
            speed so leave it at 19.2K. I haven't worked with the details of the
            TNC-X for a while, but that is most likely the default speed. The
            packets are about 1 second long. So, the red light will come on only
            briefly while it sends one.

            I agree with the other commenters that it sounds like you are getting RF
            from the HT back into the TNC-X and your PC. If a couple ferrites
            doesn't fix it try an optoisolator.

            If you know where to listen for packet activity in your area, you should
            hear brief buzzing sounds, and the yellow light should light on the
            TNC-X and, depending on the program, you should see text on your screen.

            Dick W5TA

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2010
              Hello.

              I'm smacking my head on the 19200 jumper issue. That was exactly the problem, and I'm a bit embarrassed about having asked that question.

              As for the stuck transmit it looks like RF interference. Reducing power on my VX-7R made the problem go away. I will try to find some of those ferrite clamp on chokes and put them on the audio cable. The USB cable I'm using has them built in.

              Thank you for all of your help and patience. I will report back when I get the ferrite chokes and let everybody know if that solves the stuck transmit.

              Once again thank you.

              --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > This only happens if I use TXTest while the radio is attached, it doesn't
              > > happen if the radio is not attached.
              > >
              > > Here is the wiring diagram I used
              > >
              > > TNC-X Radio
              > > Tip MIC-->10uF Capacitor--
              > > |
              > > Ring PTT-->2KOhm Resistor-------->Tip
              > > 2.5mm Mono Jack
              > > Ring2 GND------------------------->Ring
              > >
              > > Basically on the TNC-X side I'm going tip to 10uF capacitor, middle ring to
              > > resister, the free ends of the resistor and capacitor are then connected
              > > together and connected to the insulated conductor of my cable. That is then
              > > connected to the tip of a 2.5mm mono jack on the radio side. The outer ring
              > > on the TNC-X side is connected to the ring on the radio side using the
              > > ground braid in my cable.
              > >
              > > Does anybody have any thoughts on what might be going wrong here?

            • Kurt Savegnago
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 18, 2010
                Don't be embarrassed. I have the same issues with an H/T for field and home use. Some remedies I've tried are ferrites and cable coiling plus
                putting the H/T up higher than the TNC-X. Actually up on top of a non-running computer tower. (This is when running at home so the H/T is higher than the TNC-X) Another thing I've tried with some success is
                putting a copper vase that sort of looks like a flat pan over the TNC-X
                for some shielding though of course some Rf could some in through the lines.

                The lockup/shutdown only occurs during my position transmission and doesn't happen when I set my Xastir program for receive only. When tracking on the 70cm band, I'm not interested in transmitting anyways so I don't have a problem when used for that purpose.

                When I want to transmit, I just monkey with it and the "putting the H/T higher than the TNC-X" is working for me now.

                Kurt KC9LDH
                --- On Sun, 10/17/10, singularindividual <metadata42@...> wrote:

                Hello.

                I'm smacking my head on the 19200 jumper issue. That was exactly the problem, and I'm a bit embarrassed about having asked that question.

                As for the stuck transmit it looks like RF interference. Reducing power on my VX-7R made the problem go away. I will try to find some of those ferrite clamp on chokes and put them on the audio cable. The USB cable I'm using has them built in.

                Thank you for all of your help and patience. I will report back when I get the ferrite chokes and let everybody know if that solves the stuck transmit.

                Once again thank you.
              • w5dbk
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 18, 2010
                  Try a 0.1 or 1.0 mfd capacitor from the base of Q1 (2N2222)to ground. Value is not at all critical as this just serves as bypass for the RF. This sounds exactly like a problem tha I had on a similar circuit.

                  Dave
                  W5DBK

                  --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Savegnago <ksaves2@...> wrote:

                  > Don't be embarrassed. I have the same issues with an H/T for field and home use. Some remedies I've tried are ferrites and cable coiling plus
                  > putting the H/T up higher than the TNC-X. Actually up on top of a non-running computer tower. (This is when running at home so the H/T is higher than the TNC-X) Another thing I've tried with some success is
                  > putting a copper vase that sort of looks like a flat pan over the TNC-X
                  > for some shielding though of course some Rf could some in through the lines.
                  >
                  > The lockup/shutdown only occurs during my position transmission and doesn't happen when I set my Xastir program for receive only. When tracking on the 70cm band, I'm not interested in transmitting anyways so I don't have a problem when used for that purpose.
                  >
                  > When I want to transmit, I just monkey with it and the "putting the H/T higher than the TNC-X" is working for me now.
                  >
                  > Kurt KC9LDH
                  > --- On Sun, 10/17/10, singularindividual <metadata42@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Hello.
                  >
                  > I'm smacking my head on the 19200 jumper issue. That was exactly the problem, and I'm a bit embarrassed about having asked that question.
                  >
                  > As for the stuck transmit it looks like RF interference. Reducing power on my VX-7R made the problem go away. I will try to find some of those ferrite clamp on chokes and put them on the audio cable. The USB cable I'm using has them built in.
                  >
                  > Thank you for all of your help and patience. I will report back when I get the ferrite chokes and let everybody know if that solves the stuck transmit.
                  >
                  > Once again thank you.

                • kz6oscar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 19, 2010
                    I used the PTT wire to put about 7 turns around a small toroid core right before the wire goes into the motherboard. Works very nicely in the prescence of RF.

                    Logan