Is the TNC-X a good fit for me?

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
      I am very new to the packet radio game. I thought I would make a project out of this TNC as I like to work with my hands. Besides, it is a very good value for the price IF it's a good fit for it's intended user.

      Having had NO experience at all I'm about ready to throw in the towel. Not sure if it's all me or in part this TNC as it does not seem to operate like most of the other TNC's used by my associates. This takes away any frame of reference so we can't get together and compare notes. It seems the TNC-X does not work much like any Kantronics.

      It receives fine. I can get characters from other packet stations if I use something like Outpost.

      It transmits using the transmit program on the TNC-X website so I am fairly certain the final stage is OK.

      My associates like communicating keyboard to keyboard and want me to just connect to Hyperterminal or other terminial emulator but I am unable to get the TNC to respond. I get no characters not even gibberish. I cannot get into the TNC via Hyperterminal to make any of the adjustments outlined in "INTRODUCTION TO PACKET RADIO" by Larry Kenney.

      I'm beginning to think that this TNC only works if the program you are using speaks KISS and I don't think Hyperterminal ever will.

      I learned the hard way that it will only work with AGWPE on Outpost and I still get "TNC not responding, cherak setting, cables etc. It seemms to need some kind of outside support to work with most packet programs.

      Is this TNC for the more advanced user? Someone who already knows the ins and outs of packet?

      Many favorable reviews about this TNC is a good sign but is it a good fit for me? Were can I get details about operating this TNC enough to get it working and useful.

      Thanx in advance, Ted - K2TJr
    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
        TNC-X is a KISS mode TNC.  It does not work with Hyperterminal and other plain vanilla terminal programs because they don't support KISS.  The original TAPR-2 TNC design supported plain vanilla terminal programs because back then computers had very little processing power and if you used a TNC with a relatively low powered computer (I started using packet with a Commodore 64, for example) you couldn't rely on the computer supporting much besides a terminal program.

        There are some nice terminal programs out there that do support KISS.  Probably the easiest to load and use is WinTNC.  If you google it, you should be able to find it for download.  It creates an interface that is very similar (and in some ways better) than the interface you would see on a more expensive TNC with a plain vanilla terminal program.

        73,

        John Hansen W2FS
        Coastal ChipWorks

        On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Ted <rjsnaht@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Ted Seifert Jr
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
          So what you seem to be saying is that a program like WinTNC takes the place of all the configuration parameters that you would ordinarily access the TNC to do? This TNC has no parameters to set within it?

          I was beginning to suspect that, I guess I was right then.

          I'll check out a program like WinTNC but I would also like to get it working with Outpost. Most of the info I've been able to access on this site concerning Outpost doesn't seem to address my issue as most here already know what they are doing. Like I said..I had to learn the hard way that this TNC won't work with Outpost without an external Packet Engine like AGWPE. Is this the program that speaks KISS and interfaces with Outpost? Even with AGWPE I still am not communicating. Probably has to do with setup...I know the TNC is working.

          Anyway...

          I'll keep struggling until I find someone local that has this TNC and working successfully. Anyone in the Portland Oregon or surrounding area?

          Thanks for the return John. Any more details or posts on this site that will get me going would be appreciated.

          Ted - K2TJr

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
            Yes, there are no traditional configuration parameters. You will see most of them in WinTNC.  I'm not at all familiar with Outpost, but if it works with AGWPE, it should work well with TNC-X because AGWPE supports KISS mode.  Two words of warning, however.  There is a known bug in AGWPE that causes it to not work well in KISS mode at 1200 baud.  So if you decide to use it, pick another baud rate (like 9600).  You'll also have to adjust the baud rate jumpers inside TNC-X so they are the same as are being used by AGWPE.

            Most of the people I've talked to have had better luck using the free version of AGWPE with TNC-X than they have had using the paid version.  I don't regularly use AGWPE, so I didn't want to pay for the full version.  As a result, I've not been able to verify whether or not this is an issue, but I would recommend using the free version.  If you decide to go this route, instructions on how to set up AGWPE with TNC-X are on my website:

            http://www.tnc-x.com/AGWPE.htm

            John Hansen W2FS
            Coastal ChipWorks

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
              Thanx for the info John.

              I downloaded WinTNC and see things that look familiar to me. I will hook it up tonight and see what happens.

              I think this could work.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
                The one slightly odd thing about WinTNC is that you have to notice that there are tabs on top of the screen.  If you are in a connected keyboard to keyboard QSO and you are also monitoring the channel, it keeps those data streams on two separate tabs.  I really like this because you don't find the monitored lines interspersed with the parts of your conversation.  But if you usually use a terminal program that throws everything together on the screen, you may wonder why the monitor function appears to not be working.

                John Hansen W2FS
                Coastal ChipWorks