TNC-X connection to Icom IC-7000

  • pvlierop
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
      Hi there

      I would like to connect my TNC-X to an IC-7000, but not sure how to do it.
      Do I need to connect the data in and output on the Icom to the TNC or do I need to use the mic in and speaker out?

      Thanks for your appreciated answer.

      Petro
    • Tim N9PUZ
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
        The data in/out will give you a more reliable connection. The IC-7000
        manual should have the pins you need to use identified. I find it easier
        to buy a data cable with the mini-DIN plug in place than to try to
        solder one.

        73,

        Tim N9PUZ

        On 6/12/2010 3:02 PM, pvlierop wrote:
        > Hi there
        >
        > I would like to connect my TNC-X to an IC-7000, but not sure how to do it.
        > Do I need to connect the data in and output on the Icom to the TNC or do I need to use the mic in and speaker out?
        >
        > Thanks for your appreciated answer.
        >
        > Petro

      • pvlierop
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2010
          Thanks for the tip to buy a data cable! To be sure I need to use the data socket at the rear?
          Seen from the TNC-X:
          - RX audio goes to pin 4 (DATA OUT)
          - TX audio goes to pin 1 (DATA IN)
          - PTT goes to pin 3 (PTT P)
          - Ground goes to pin 2 (GND)
          Can this be confirmed?

          Which setting in the menu do I need to change to get my Icom IC-7000
          working well with the TNC-X?

          The TNC-X will be used for EmComm (Winlink and AGWPE).

          Thanks for your appreciated answer!

          Petro, PH9GFB

          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

          > The data in/out will give you a more reliable connection. The IC-7000
          > manual should have the pins you need to use identified. I find it easier
          > to buy a data cable with the mini-DIN plug in place than to try to
          > solder one.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Tim N9PUZ
          >

          > On 6/12/2010 3:02 PM, pvlierop wrote:
          > > Hi there
          > >
          > > I would like to connect my TNC-X to an IC-7000, but not sure how to do it.
          > > Do I need to connect the data in and output on the Icom to the TNC or do I need to use the mic in and speaker out?
          > >
          > > Thanks for your appreciated answer.
          > >
          > > Petro

        • Ernest Neijenhuis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2010
            Hello,

            I tried to use my TNC-X (the "DARES edition") with a Kenwood TH-F7e hand-held, and encountered that the TX audio is too low, even with R12 set to maximum output. I tried a second TH-F7e, same problem. I tried another TNC-X, still same problem. Since the TH-F7e has no mic gain setting, I increased the output level of the TNC-X by putting a 1k resistor parallel on R11. This works fine.

            I don't know if this issue occurs on some other radios aswell, but this might be the case. Therefore I would like to suggest to lower R11 from 10k to 1k in the design. The MX614p can drive up to 20mA on the output pin (according to the datasheet), so that shouldn't be a problem.

            73,
            Ernest PA3HCM
          • Kurt Savegnago
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2010
              I set the the input up on the TNC-X like is shown in the manual page about using a TNC
              with my TH-F6A.  I was able to get it to work just fine although I do not have the H/T set to run with a TNC in its' menu. It's just setup as a normal audio H/T.

              I had to use a different input scheme for my ICOM T-90A.  That input scheme is compatible with Alinco H/T's too.  So I have the TNC input that is plugged into the microphone jack.
              That's standard for both types of rigs and two sockets one that will work with the T-90A/Alinco rigs and one for the Kenwood rig.  I had to wire cables to get the right contacts.to jive.  It's tedious but can be done.

              I also have to set my input using the volume control on the H/T's.

                                                                         Kurt KC9LDH