USB port on ubuntu server

  • andrea097ltv
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2010
      Good evening,
      I am iw1gap, I have a tncx and I want to use with the USB port on the Linux machine where is installed the T2italy1 aprs server (ubuntu). Now is installed an old TNC2 who works with the serial port.
      How do I declare that the tncx uses a USB port?
      Thanks for any help.

      Andrea
    • Kurt Savegnago
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2010
        Do a dmesg in a terminal and the TNC-X should appear under /dev/ttyUSBX with X being 0, 1. 2 etc.  Should connect straight away by plug and play.  Plus you have to make sure you reset the  jumpers inside of the TNC-X to use the USB port.  If you want to use a serial only TNC-X you will have to get a serial to USB cable converter to plug any serial device into the USB port of any computer.

        With ubuntu I don't know if one needs to change any permissions on the USB ports
        I have a TNC-X running happily under Slackware 13 linux.  Works with Xastir very nicely.  I have connections for a standard H/T like AlincoDJ-596 and ICOM T-90A and a non-standard connection to a Kenwood THF6A.  For the 6A. I put an extra 1/8" stereo jack on the back for the microphone input and wired it in parallel to my mic jack that goes to the mic for the more "standard" H/T's.  KW has the usage of the plug size
        backwards.  Argent has 2.5mm bare cables that are good for making interface cables..
        You just slice a 3.5mm plugged cable in half and splice the two ends on to the 2..5mm
        cable and you can have cables for both types of radios.

        For a "base" station out in the field, I use a car battery with a 12volt AC inverter to power my old laptop.  Works great.  I figure with the the car battery, I can have the TNC-X leach off of the computer via power supply by the USB.

                                                         Kurt KC9LDH