TNC-X day today

  • Earl Needham
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
      Y'all keep your fingers crossed, I'm going to try and get my TNC-X
      to play nice with my HamHUD today! <G>

      7 3
      Earl
      Watch for KD5XB-11, currently on a KPC-3+

      --
      KD5XB -- Earl Needham
      Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
        Earl,

        It should work fine. Just make sure you have the HH set for 4800 baud in the baudrate menu and the TNC-X is jumpered for 4800 baud. As long as your cabling is correct, there should be no problems. I have ran a HH with a TNC-X for a couple of years now.

        Jason KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/cw_ bugs

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
          Sounds great, Jason. Setting the baud was the easy part, now I have to build cables so the TNC-X goes where the KPC-3+ is now. That means I have to convert from DB9 to DB25 AND put 12VDC to pin 25 (or is it pin 12?) To power the HUD and GPS. In addition I have to adapt the transmit and receive connectors to a DB9 like on the KPC-3+. Kind of a headache.

          Earl

          KD5XB -- Earl Needham
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
          Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT
          Posted via Blackberry

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
            > That means I have to convert from DB9 to DB25 AND put 12VDC to pin 25
            > (or is it pin 12?) To power the HUD and GPS.

            I which pin it is. It has to be close to 5 years ago I built that for you. But there has to be a better way now.

            > In addition I have to adapt the transmit and receive connectors to a DB9
            > like on the KPC-3+.

            For my TNC-X units, I took advantage of one of the holes John has on the back of the case. I run a 6 conductor shielded cable through one of them and wire it to the TNC-X's board for TX Audio, RX Audio, PTT, Ground and Power. Then place a zip tie on the inside for strain relief.

            On the other end of the cable I put on a female DB9 and use the same KPC-3 pinout, only adding power input at Pin 7, so it matches all of my tracker cables. This is commonly known as the "tracker pinout" now. If you feed the TNC-X with power through it's coaxial jack and then leech that power on the other end of your serial cable to the HH, you can power the HH through this.

            I'll see if I can make up a simple schematic and post it.

            Jason KE4NYV
            RPC Electronics
            www.rpc-electronics.com

            Posted via BlackberryFrom: lists@ke4nyv. com

            From: Earl Needham <earl.kd5xb@gmail. com>

            To: tnc-x@yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
              After I posted that last message, it dawned on me I wasn't thinking serial vs. TNC/Radio interface. I have been working on the new HamHUD II+ with built in modem so long, I forgot about the original not having the TNC inside.

              Leeching power is still an option through the SERIAL cable. I believe Pin 9 is the RI pin, but not used with the HamHUD or TNC-X, so its perfect for supplying power. You will still use the coaxial power jack on the TNC-X to supply power to the entire system minus the radio.

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics
              www.rpc-electronics.com

              From: Earl Needham <earl.kd5xb@gmail. com>

              To: tnc-x@yahoogroups. com

              From: Earl Needham <earl.kd5xb@ gmail. com>

              To: tnc-x@yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                Earl,

                I've uploaded a simple schematic that I think can help you get everything wired up.

                Check under the Files section.

                Jason KE4NYV
                RPC Electronics, LLC
                www.rpc-electronics.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                  Thanks, I'll check it out.

                  7 3
                  Earl

                  KD5XB -- Earl Needham

                  From: "Jason R" <lists@...>
                  Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:22:41 -0000
                  To: <tnc-x@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: [tnc-x] Re: TNC-X day today

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                    Thanks, I'll check it out.

                    7 3
                    Earl

                    KD5XB -- Earl Needham

                    From: "Jason R" <lists@...>
                    Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:22:41 -0000
                    To: <tnc-x@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                      Thanks, I'll check it out.

                      7 3
                      Earl

                      KD5XB -- Earl Needham

                      From: "Jason R" <lists@...>
                      Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:22:41 -0000
                      To: <tnc-x@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                        Jason R wrote:
                        > Earl,
                        >
                        > I've uploaded a simple schematic that I think can help you get everything wired up.
                        >
                        > Check under the Files section.
                        >
                        > Jason KE4NYV
                        > RPC Electronics, LLC
                        > www.rpc-electronics.com

                        This project didn't come together yesterday, but I hope to get it
                        finished today. At least I was able to find all the connectors I need
                        over at Radio Shack, for a while they refused to carry any for of DB-25
                        whatsoever.

                        I looked at the schematic and it appears to show pinouts for the
                        TNC-X, and for the HUD, but not sure if that HUD is wired like MY HUD.
                        I think it will be simple enough to get together, I just need to verify
                        which pins are data-in, data-out, and ground, on both DB-9 and DB-25.
                        Probably find it online in a few minutes.

                        Looking at the TNC-X, there is a B+ pad next to the 12VDC connector,
                        and it seems that several pins on the DB-9 are unused. Does it seem
                        likely that I could simply run a short piece of hook up wire between
                        that pad and the header for the DB-(? It's a chassis mount DB-9, but
                        shining a bright light through the board doesn't reveal any traces going
                        to most of the pins.

                        You think pin 7 is what I should use for 12VDC to feed up the line
                        to the HUD and GPS?

                        Thanks,
                        Earl

                        --
                        KD5XB -- Earl Needham
                        Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
                        Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT
                      • earl_needham
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                          Well wouldn't you know it, as soon as I looked up the pinouts for DB9 and DB25 I got a bit confused.

                          Somebody verify this?

                          DB9 and DB25 both use the same pins for data in and data out, but DB25 uses pin 7 for signal ground while DB9 uses pin 5 for signal ground --

                          So my adapter cable to use the TNC-X instead of KPC_3+ should connect pins 2 on both connectors, and pin 3 on both connectors, but pin 7 on DB25 goes to pin 5 on DB9.

                          At the same time, I need to feed +12VDC to pin 12 of the DB-25 to power the HUD and GPS.

                          Help?

                          Thanks,
                          Earl
                        • Earl Needham
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
                            earl_needham wrote:
                            > Well wouldn't you know it, as soon as I looked up the pinouts for DB9 and DB25 I got a bit confused.
                            >
                            > Somebody verify this?
                            >
                            > DB9 and DB25 both use the same pins for data in and data out, but DB25 uses pin 7 for signal ground while DB9 uses pin 5 for signal ground --
                            >
                            > So my adapter cable to use the TNC-X instead of KPC_3+ should connect pins 2 on both connectors, and pin 3 on both connectors, but pin 7 on DB25 goes to pin 5 on DB9.
                            >
                            > At the same time, I need to feed +12VDC to pin 12 of the DB-25 to power the HUD and GPS.

                            Well I am done for this day. Got all the cables together, or so I
                            thought, but no transmit and no receive. I'm hot, tired, thirsty, and
                            frustrated. Might work on this next week. Or next month, or...

                            Earl