Quick questions - Yaesu FT-8900R

  • Chris Wall
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2009
      Good afternoon,

      I'm mostly done with my TNC-X assemble, but want to be sure before I
      wire in my tx/rx/ptt. I have a Yaesu FT-8900R, and according to the
      manual it uses pin 1 for data in 10k ohm/40mV for 1200, pin 5 for data
      out (10k ohm / 300mV) and 3 for PTT (ground to assert). There is also
      pin 6 for squelch control (+5 open, 0v close).

      Are these levels that the TNC-X will "live" with if I wire straight into
      phono plugs (1/3 into a TRS, 5 for the TS)?

      Lastly, should I have any concerns about using the squelch control?

      Thanks in advance,
      Chris
    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2009
        TNC-X supports a wide range of audio input levels so there should be
        no issue there. I think you are ok with the TX audio as well, though
        I vaguely remember someone with one Yaesu radio or another finding he
        did not get enough audio out of it to drive the data jack on the
        radio. I'm not sure which model it was, so perhaps someone else will
        chime in on that. If you need more audio drive from the TNC-X, you
        can handle it one of two ways:

        1. Try shorting out resistor R11 in the TNC-X.
        2. Alternatively, you could feed the audio in the mic jack instead of
        the data jack.

        But first I would try it straight through.

        Finally, ignore the squelch line and keep the squelch on the radio
        fully open. Virtually all modern TNC's (including TNC-X) support
        using the radio with the squelch open. This results in faster tx/rx
        turn around times and greater channel efficiency.

        John W2FS

        On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Chris Wall<chris@...> wrote:

        > Good afternoon,
        >
        > I'm mostly done with my TNC-X assemble, but want to be sure before I
        > wire in my tx/rx/ptt. I have a Yaesu FT-8900R, and according to the
        > manual it uses pin 1 for data in 10k ohm/40mV for 1200, pin 5 for data
        > out (10k ohm / 300mV) and 3 for PTT (ground to assert). There is also
        > pin 6 for squelch control (+5 open, 0v close).
        >
        > Are these levels that the TNC-X will "live" with if I wire straight into
        > phono plugs (1/3 into a TRS, 5 for the TS)?
        >
        > Lastly, should I have any concerns about using the squelch control?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Chris

      • Allan Richardson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2009
          I used a tnc-x with a ft 7800r... very similar to the 8900 and it werked flawlessly

          On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Chris Wall<chris@kd8lci. net> wrote:

          > Good afternoon,
          >
          > I'm mostly done with my TNC-X assemble, but want to be sure before I
          > wire in my tx/rx/ptt. I have a Yaesu FT-8900R, and according to the
          > manual it uses pin 1 for data in 10k ohm/40mV for 1200, pin 5 for data
          > out (10k ohm / 300mV) and 3 for PTT (ground to assert). There is also
          > pin 6 for squelch control (+5 open, 0v close).
          >
          > Are these levels that the TNC-X will "live" with if I wire straight into
          > phono plugs (1/3 into a TRS, 5 for the TS)?
          >
          > Lastly, should I have any concerns about using the squelch control?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Chris

        • kz6oscar
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2009
            I've used my TNC-X with an FT8800 with no problems. I hooked up data in, data out, and PTT only and run it with the squelch always open.

            Logan, KZ6O

            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wall <chris@...> wrote:

            > Good afternoon,
            >
            > I'm mostly done with my TNC-X assemble, but want to be sure before I
            > wire in my tx/rx/ptt. I have a Yaesu FT-8900R, and according to the
            > manual it uses pin 1 for data in 10k ohm/40mV for 1200, pin 5 for data
            > out (10k ohm / 300mV) and 3 for PTT (ground to assert). There is also
            > pin 6 for squelch control (+5 open, 0v close).
            >
            > Are these levels that the TNC-X will "live" with if I wire straight into
            > phono plugs (1/3 into a TRS, 5 for the TS)?
            >
            > Lastly, should I have any concerns about using the squelch control?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Chris

          • Jason Rausch
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2009
              The 8900 should have the 6 pin minidin packet port on the back of the radio. This port is a perfect match to the TNC-X. The minimum needed is TXA, 1200 RX, PTT and Ground. The pin numbers escape me right now.

              Just make sure to get your TX audio level right and it should work fine.

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics
              www.rpc-electronics.com

              --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "kz6oscar" <lrahnz@...> wrote:

              > I've used my TNC-X with an FT8800 with no problems. I hooked up data in, data out, and PTT only and run it with the squelch always open.
              >
              > Logan, KZ6O
              >

              > --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wall <chris@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Good afternoon,
              > >
              > > I'm mostly done with my TNC-X assemble, but want to be sure before I
              > > wire in my tx/rx/ptt. I have a Yaesu FT-8900R, and according to the
              > > manual it uses pin 1 for data in 10k ohm/40mV for 1200, pin 5 for data
              > > out (10k ohm / 300mV) and 3 for PTT (ground to assert). There is also
              > > pin 6 for squelch control (+5 open, 0v close).
              > >
              > > Are these levels that the TNC-X will "live" with if I wire straight into
              > > phono plugs (1/3 into a TRS, 5 for the TS)?
              > >
              > > Lastly, should I have any concerns about using the squelch control?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance,
              > > Chris

            • Christopher Wall
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2009
                Excellent - thank you all for your responses. The real world caught up
                to me this week and I didn't circle back to the final setup. I'll
                definitely go with the minidin with the pinouts (see OP).

                Thanks again,