initial setup

  • Earl Needham
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 6:45 AM
      OK, I've got this TNC-X sitting here -- I bought it last June and
      haven't put it on the air yet. Now I think I'm ready -- in the truck I
      drive, I use a HamHUD and a KPC-3+ and the KPC-3+ just loses its
      settings too often. When it does, it goes back to NEWUSER mode and the
      current HamHUD firmware is KISS-only, so I have no way to get APRS going
      again until I'm at home.

      So how do I do this? I need to speak 4800 BPS from the HamHUD to
      the TNC, which the instructions seem to indicate is easy. My current
      setup has the KPC-3+ modified to output power on the DB-25 to power the
      HamHUD and GPS -- so I guess some patch cables would be the easiest way
      to get the TNC-X going. Need to go from the DB-9 on the TNC-X to a
      DB-25 so I can imitate the current KPC-3+ cabling -- and some kind of
      adapter cables to connect to the radio as the KPC-3+ does.

      BTW, the radio is a GE Delta -- anything special I should know
      about using the TNC-X with the Delta?

      Thanks,
      Earl

      --
      KD5XB -- Earl Needham
      Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 8:25 AM
        Earl Needham wrote:

        > BTW, the radio is a GE Delta -- anything special I should know
        > about using the TNC-X with the Delta?

        The only real adjustments outside of the baud rate which you mentioned
        are audio levels.

        The TNC-X docs outline a simple way to get them to very acceptable
        settings by listening on another radio while you adjust the two
        potentiometers in the TNC-X. I have built three of the TNC-X units and
        find that if you start with both pots mid-range it will send and
        receive and you can just tweak them in from there.

        Tim, N9PUZ