Trouble Installing Original FTDI 232BM Drivers

  • Jason Rausch
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
      I recently broke out my original TNC-X with the first generation FTDI
      232MB USB module. When I try to install the drivers, with the latest
      drivers from FTDI, XP does not recognize them as valid. Has anyone
      else ran into this?

      This is the first time I have ever had a problem with an FTDI driver
      installing. I checked the website several times and noticed that
      they specify the 232B as a valid device with the driver package, but
      zero mention of the BM. I'm not sure what the 'M' denotes. RoHS
      maybe?

      Any ideas?

      Jason KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics
      www.rpc-electronics.com
    • Jason Rausch
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
        I ended up answering my own question by searching back through all of
        the .zip files on my main computer. I found the original driver
        distribution that John had posted on www.tnc-x.com, in the early days
        of the first generation TNC-X. Once I copied these over, the module
        installed.

        Just in case anyone else runs into this, I have uploaded these
        drivers to the Files section of the group.

        Jason KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@...> wrote:

        > I recently broke out my original TNC-X with the first generation
        FTDI
        > 232MB USB module. When I try to install the drivers, with the
        latest
        > drivers from FTDI, XP does not recognize them as valid. Has anyone
        > else ran into this?
        >
        > This is the first time I have ever had a problem with an FTDI
        driver
        > installing. I checked the website several times and noticed that
        > they specify the 232B as a valid device with the driver package,
        but
        > zero mention of the BM. I'm not sure what the 'M' denotes. RoHS
        > maybe?
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Jason KE4NYV
        > RPC Electronics
        > www.rpc-electronics.com

      • Tony
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@...> wrote:

          > I ended up answering my own question by searching back through all of
          > the .zip files on my main computer. I found the original driver
          > distribution that John had posted on www.tnc-x.com, in the early days
          > of the first generation TNC-X. Once I copied these over, the module
          > installed.
          >
          > Just in case anyone else runs into this, I have uploaded these
          > drivers to the Files section of the group.

          Thanks muchly. I was just having the same troubles as you were trying
          the FTDI and Linx USB drivers. The files you uploaded were the ones my
          Rev 2.3 TNC were looking for.

          For others searching in the future
          Device Instance ID
          USB\VID_0403&PID_EBE0\FT3XDU3X
          Hardware Ids
          USB\Vid_0403&Pid_ebe0&Rev_0400
          USB\Vid_0403&Pid_ebe0

          The USB module is the QS Series USB labelled SDM-USB-QS1-S LOT 100000.
          But those drivers on that Linx web page didn't work.

          Tony VE6MVP
        • Jason Rausch
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
            Great! Glad they helped. I knew I wasn't the only one out there
            with the same problem. I have no idea how many TNC-X's John sold of
            that first generation, but there has to be a bunch out there. As you
            also found out, just because FTDI says the chipset is covered under
            the driver, doesn't mean it is. They also don't archive the past
            drivers to download. I have been meaning to email them and inquire
            about that.

            I was just lucky enough to have an old .zip of the original drivers
            and that is what I uploaded to the group.

            Jason KE4NYV
            RPC Electronics
            www.rpc-electronics.com

            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tony@...> wrote:

            > --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I ended up answering my own question by searching back through
            all of
            > > the .zip files on my main computer. I found the original driver
            > > distribution that John had posted on www.tnc-x.com, in the early
            days
            > > of the first generation TNC-X. Once I copied these over, the
            module
            > > installed.
            > >
            > > Just in case anyone else runs into this, I have uploaded these
            > > drivers to the Files section of the group.
            >
            > Thanks muchly. I was just having the same troubles as you were
            trying
            > the FTDI and Linx USB drivers. The files you uploaded were the
            ones my
            > Rev 2.3 TNC were looking for.
            >
            > For others searching in the future
            > Device Instance ID
            > USB\VID_0403&PID_EBE0\FT3XDU3X
            > Hardware Ids
            > USB\Vid_0403&Pid_ebe0&Rev_0400
            > USB\Vid_0403&Pid_ebe0
            >
            > The USB module is the QS Series USB labelled SDM-USB-QS1-S LOT
            100000.
            > But those drivers on that Linx web page didn't work.
            >
            > Tony VE6MVP

          • Ed L Locklear
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2009
              Jason, Tony, & the group,

              Please this post: 393 Re: [tnc-x] Problem with USB driver Oct 1, 2008.

              Gives the complete instruction on how to modify new drivers with the
              older chip sets.

              Ed, KF4CHG