Re: [tnc-x] receive audio woes

  • John Hansen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1 6:54 AM
      Robert D. York wrote:

      > I have a tnc-x that works. I just swapped PICs they are both good but
      > tnc-x D-5 doesn't glow still.

      If you get stuck and run out of ideas, you can send the unit back in to
      me (don't bother sending the metal box, just the TNC-X board) and I'll
      get it going for you. No charge, just include $2 for return shipping.

      Jason's right... it is still worth checking the transmit chain, because
      this will also tell you if there is a problem with the modem chip, or
      the memory chip (that's the surface mount one). There is a program on
      the documentation page on the TNC-X website called TXTest. It's a
      really really trivial windows program that is designed to test the
      transmit section of TNC-X. I'd suggest downloading it, running it,
      specify the COM port number and speed and press the transmit button. If
      you see the PTT light come on on the TNC, you'll know that memory chip
      is working. If it transmits audio at that point, you'll know the modem
      chip is working.

      If you end up sending it in, my address is:

      John Hansen
      49 Maple Avenue
      Fredonia, NY 14063

      73, John W2FS
    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1 11:07 AM
        Robert D. York wrote:

        > I have a tnc-x that works. I just swapped PICs they are both good but
        > tnc-x D-5 doesn't glow still.

        If you get stuck and run out of ideas, you can send the unit back in to
        me (don't bother sending the metal box, just the TNC-X board) and I'll
        get it going for you. No charge, just include $2 for return shipping.
        Jason's right... it is still worth checking the transmit chain, because
        this will also tell you if there is a problem with the modem chip, or
        the memory chip (that's the surface mount one). There is a program on
        the documentation page on the TNC-X website called TXTest. It's a
        really really trivial windows program that is designed to test the
        transmit section of TNC-X. I'd suggest downloading it, running it,
        specify the COM port number and speed and press the transmit button. If
        you see the PTT light come on on the TNC, you'll know that memory chip
        is working. If it transmits audio at that point, you'll know the modem
        chip is working.
        If you end up sending it in, my address is:

        John Hansen
        49 Maple Avenue
        Fredonia, NY 14063

        73, John W2FS
      • Robert D. York
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4 4:05 PM
          Thank you for the unexpected generosity. I'm impressed. I will take
          advantage of your stellar customer service.
          I have attempted all suggestions given in previous responses to my
          receive audio woes. They are appreciated but did not solve my problem.
          I am sending the tnc-x kit that I most recently assembled. I would
          very much appreciate you getting it going and offering some critique
          to my efforts.
          Bob KF4FFN
          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@h...> wrote:

          > Robert D. York wrote:
          >
          > > I have a tnc-x that works. I just swapped PICs they are both good
          but
          > > tnc-x D-5 doesn't glow still.
          >

          > If you get stuck and run out of ideas, you can send the unit back
          in to
          > me (don't bother sending the metal box, just the TNC-X board) and
          I'll
          > get it going for you. No charge, just include $2 for return
          shipping.
          > Jason's right... it is still worth checking the transmit chain,
          because
          > this will also tell you if there is a problem with the modem chip,
          or
          > the memory chip (that's the surface mount one). There is a
          program on
          > the documentation page on the TNC-X website called TXTest. It's a
          > really really trivial windows program that is designed to test the
          > transmit section of TNC-X. I'd suggest downloading it, running it,
          > specify the COM port number and speed and press the transmit
          button. If
          > you see the PTT light come on on the TNC, you'll know that memory
          chip
          > is working. If it transmits audio at that point, you'll know the
          modem
          > chip is working.
          > If you end up sending it in, my address is:
          >
          > John Hansen
          > 49 Maple Avenue
          > Fredonia, NY 14063
          >
          > 73, John W2FS

        • J. Rausch
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
            Bob, did you ever get this resolved?

            Jason KE4NYV
            www.ke4nyv.com
            RPC Electronics
            www.rpc-electronics.com

            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Robert D. York" <kf4ffn@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for the unexpected generosity. I'm impressed. I will
            take
            > advantage of your stellar customer service.
            > I have attempted all suggestions given in previous responses to my
            > receive audio woes. They are appreciated but did not solve my
            problem.
            > I am sending the tnc-x kit that I most recently assembled. I would
            > very much appreciate you getting it going and offering some critique
            > to my efforts.
            > Bob KF4FFN
            > --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Robert D. York wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have a tnc-x that works. I just swapped PICs they are both
            good
            > but
            > > > tnc-x D-5 doesn't glow still.
            > >

            > > If you get stuck and run out of ideas, you can send the unit back
            > in to
            > > me (don't bother sending the metal box, just the TNC-X board) and
            > I'll
            > > get it going for you. No charge, just include $2 for return
            > shipping.
            > > Jason's right... it is still worth checking the transmit chain,
            > because
            > > this will also tell you if there is a problem with the modem chip,
            > or
            > > the memory chip (that's the surface mount one). There is a
            > program on
            > > the documentation page on the TNC-X website called TXTest. It's a
            > > really really trivial windows program that is designed to test the
            > > transmit section of TNC-X. I'd suggest downloading it, running
            it,
            > > specify the COM port number and speed and press the transmit
            > button. If
            > > you see the PTT light come on on the TNC, you'll know that memory
            > chip
            > > is working. If it transmits audio at that point, you'll know the
            > modem
            > > chip is working.
            > > If you end up sending it in, my address is:
            > >
            > > John Hansen
            > > 49 Maple Avenue
            > > Fredonia, NY 14063
            > >
            > > 73, John W2FS

          • Robert D. York
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
              Yes Sir Jason; the TNC-X is performing well at the K7ZGN-7 digipeater
              (as a fill-in digi) at Citronelle, Alabama.
              Sir John W2FS has provided super service support.
              Did you happen to read Stan Horzepa WA1LOU's article in QST February
              2006 page 39-41 titled "Teaching an Old APRS New Tricks" ?
              thanks for the query; Bob KF4FFN ----- Original Message -----
              > > Thank you for the unexpected generosity. I'm impressed. I will
              > take
              > > advantage of your stellar customer service.
              > > I have attempted all suggestions given in previous responses to my
              > > receive audio woes. They are appreciated but did not solve my
              > problem.
              > > I am sending the tnc-x kit that I most recently assembled. I would
              > > very much appreciate you getting it going and offering some critique
              > > to my efforts.
              > > Bob KF4FFN
              > > --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@h...> wrote:

              > good
              > > but
              > > >

              > > > If you get stuck and run out of ideas, you can send the unit back
              > > in to
              > > > me (don't bother sending the metal box, just the TNC-X board) and
              > > I'll
              > > > get it going for you. No charge, just include $2 for return
              > > shipping.
              > > > Jason's right... it is still worth checking the transmit chain,
              > > because
              > > > this will also tell you if there is a problem with the modem chip,
              > > or
              > > > the memory chip (that's the surface mount one). There is a
              > > program on
              > > > the documentation page on the TNC-X website called TXTest. It's a
              > > > really really trivial windows program that is designed to test the
              > > > transmit section of TNC-X. I'd suggest downloading it, running
              > it,
              > > > specify the COM port number and speed and press the transmit
              > > button. If
              > > > you see the PTT light come on on the TNC, you'll know that memory
              > > chip
              > > > is working. If it transmits audio at that point, you'll know the
              > > modem
              > > > chip is working.
              > > > If you end up sending it in, my address is:
              > > >
              > > > John Hansen
              > > > 49 Maple Avenue
              > > > Fredonia, NY 14063
              > > >
              > > > 73, John W2FS