Serial Data & TNC-X

  • KA3NAM
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2004
      Hi everyone! Put together my TNC-X the other day and been playing
      with it with Xasitr and UI-View. I am wanting to use TNC-X with a
      Basic Stamp (will upgrade that later to a real PIC) that I'll
      program to do various things with the data. I coded up a Tink Trak
      clone and as long as I send the data to a Paccomm or KPC-3 (KISS)
      everything works fine. When I try to get the PIC to talk to the TNC-
      X, no dice. I am doing all of this at 4800 baud so I'm wondering if
      my BS is a bit slow at getting the data out there and the other TNCs
      I have are buffering to compensate. I did try 1200 baud with no luck
      either... Any insights from the group??

      As we say in in phone business, "trouble's leavin' here fine!"

      -Joe
    • J. Rausch
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hey Joe, the TNC-X is jumper configurable for the serial data rate. I
        would start by making sure you have that correct. I assume you want
        ti use 4800 baud since that was the speed you mentioned.

        You may also have a problem with the BS sending the data too fast and
        the TNC-X cannot buffer it fast enough.

        Just a few suggestions that pop into my head at the moment.

        Jason KE4NYV
        www.ke4nyv.com
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "KA3NAM" <ka3nam@y...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone! Put together my TNC-X the other day and been playing
        > with it with Xasitr and UI-View. I am wanting to use TNC-X with a
        > Basic Stamp (will upgrade that later to a real PIC) that I'll
        > program to do various things with the data. I coded up a Tink Trak
        > clone and as long as I send the data to a Paccomm or KPC-3 (KISS)
        > everything works fine. When I try to get the PIC to talk to the TNC-
        > X, no dice. I am doing all of this at 4800 baud so I'm wondering if
        > my BS is a bit slow at getting the data out there and the other TNCs
        > I have are buffering to compensate. I did try 1200 baud with no luck
        > either... Any insights from the group??
        >

        > As we say in in phone business, "trouble's leavin' here fine!"
        >

        > -Joe
      • Joe Bennett
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 27, 2004
          Jason,

          Well, you did bring up a good point on the baud rate.
          I got out the scope and looked at my PCs vs. the Basic
          Stamp and unfortunately the timing matched exactly...
          I even tried pacing the characters 5 & 10ms from each
          other and that didn't help. I don't think I'm filling
          the buffer since I even tried to have it just send the
          source, destination and path and ended up with the
          same result. Anyway the BS it not asking it to send
          more than the PC is...

          This has got to be something easy...

          -Joe

          http://mail.yahoo.com