Problems Using AGWTerm

  • dmhsk39
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
      I am completely new to working with the TNC-X and have been having
      some problems getting my computer to connect to it. I have the USB
      connection version and had all the testing done before I received it.
      I have downloaded all of the recommended software from the website and
      it seems to be installed correctly. When I use the test program
      provided, the LED lights up indicating that the test packet has been
      received by the TNC. The problem arises when I try to use the AGWTerm
      program. I have a call sign and the correct port that the TNC-X is
      connected through, however, I'm not sure what I need to put for the
      path. When I leave it blank, the program attempts to connect to the
      TNC-X for several minutes and then alerts me that the maximum number
      of attempts has been reached.
      Does this have something to do with the path?
      I has to install several drivers such that my USB port appeared as a
      COM port, could this be an issue, even if the test program works?
      Any help that anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • cclcrac
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
        What version of the agw radio port manager are you using. I use the
        AGWPEPro verion with the TNC-X (via a serial port) and have no
        problems. The free version of the radio port manager is not very
        stable, so I would step up to the pro version. The pro version is
        not free, ($50, any number of machines for your call), but you can
        get a 30 day trial to see if it works for you before having to pay
        for it. What path are you talking about, btw? Also, what type of
        tnc are you telling the radio port manager you are connecting to? I
        believe I tell it I have a tapr2 clone.
        good luck

        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "dmhsk39" <dmhsk39@...> wrote:

        > I am completely new to working with the TNC-X and have been having
        > some problems getting my computer to connect to it. I have the USB
        > connection version and had all the testing done before I received
        it.
        > I have downloaded all of the recommended software from the website
        and
        > it seems to be installed correctly. When I use the test program
        > provided, the LED lights up indicating that the test packet has been
        > received by the TNC. The problem arises when I try to use the
        AGWTerm
        > program. I have a call sign and the correct port that the TNC-X is
        > connected through, however, I'm not sure what I need to put for the
        > path. When I leave it blank, the program attempts to connect to the
        > TNC-X for several minutes and then alerts me that the maximum number
        > of attempts has been reached.
        > Does this have something to do with the path?
        > I has to install several drivers such that my USB port appeared as a
        > COM port, could this be an issue, even if the test program works?
        > Any help that anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
          Sounds like the USB "virtual port" software is working. Here is the
          setup in a "nutshell...mine!"

          1. Connect your TNC-X to your computer.
          2. Install and configure AGWPE packet engine (free or pro)
          a. Configure a port in AGWPE and point it to the virtual comport your
          TNC-X/USB is connected to. Set the AGWPE to KISS mode, TNC-2, with no
          data in the 1/2/3 command boxes. Restart AGWPE.
          3. Configure AGWTerm to point at the port you just made in AGWPE.

          More info at
          http://www.patmedia.net/ralphmilnes/soundcardpacket/2agwbasic.htm .

          Just remember, where it says setting for a sound card, you are setting
          up for a KISS TNC-2 TNC.

          NA4IT