Re: [tnc-x] Newbie, need help.

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
      Brian KD7SKX wrote...

      > I just got done building my TNC-X. I plugged it into power and the
      > green light came on. But when I ran the test program from the
      > computer I don't get any activity on the other lights. I don't get a 5
      > volt reading on pin 7 of the 8 pin chip holder. Also does any one
      > know the settings to put into the computer for APRS to talk to the
      > TNC-X. Thanks

      Did you get any answer re testing? No immediate answer from me re +5 etc.
      because I haven't dug up the drawing yet, but I don't recall seeing any
      replies to you. Re using it with an APRS program... if the TNC is working,
      just connect it and use it. It's always in KISS mode. Just tell the APRS
      program to use KISS mode.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
        Brian KD7SKX wrote...

        > I just got done building my TNC-X. I plugged it into power and the
        > green light came on. But when I ran the test program from the
        > computer I don't get any activity on the other lights. I don't get a 5
        > volt reading on pin 7 of the 8 pin chip holder. Also does any one
        > know the settings to put into the computer for APRS to talk to the
        > TNC-X. Thanks

        I had another TNC-X kit sitting here waiting to be put together, so I
        cleared the bench off and started in on it. It's not finished, but I've got
        the drawing in front of me. I take it that you found +5V at the other test
        points mentioned but not on pin 8 of U4. Check the socket for U4 to make
        sure you don't have it in backwards. Assuming it's not backwards, get your
        magnifying glass out and start tracing it back from pin 8 of U4. The trace
        goes through a number of "through-holes". Other than the socket for U4
        being backwards causing you to look at the wrong pin, or a cold solder joint
        on the pin, the only real possibilities that come to mind are an open trace
        or a problem with a plated through-hole.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2007
          You are on the right track..or should I say "trace"...

          Check all your soldering. Sometimes just a simple reflow of the solder
          fixes them.

          Scott NA4IT

          --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

          > Brian KD7SKX wrote...
          >
          > > I just got done building my TNC-X. I plugged it into power and the
          > > green light came on. But when I ran the test program from the
          > > computer I don't get any activity on the other lights. I don't get a 5
          > > volt reading on pin 7 of the 8 pin chip holder. Also does any one
          > > know the settings to put into the computer for APRS to talk to the
          > > TNC-X. Thanks
          >
          > I had another TNC-X kit sitting here waiting to be put together, so I
          > cleared the bench off and started in on it. It's not finished, but
          I've got
          > the drawing in front of me. I take it that you found +5V at the
          other test
          > points mentioned but not on pin 8 of U4. Check the socket for U4 to make
          > sure you don't have it in backwards. Assuming it's not backwards,
          get your
          > magnifying glass out and start tracing it back from pin 8 of U4. The
          trace
          > goes through a number of "through-holes". Other than the socket for U4
          > being backwards causing you to look at the wrong pin, or a cold
          solder joint
          > on the pin, the only real possibilities that come to mind are an
          open trace
          > or a problem with a plated through-hole.
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          > --

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2007
            Brian KD7SKX wrote...

            > Also does any one know the settings to put into the computer for
            > APRS to talk to the TNC-X.

            I said yesterday... "if the TNC is working, just connect it and use it. It's
            always in KISS mode. Just tell the APRS program to use KISS mode."

            I forgot to comment in my more recent reply that there is a jumper on the
            TNC-X circuit board for setting the speed on the serial port.

            JP1 JP2 Port Speed
            ON ON 1200 bps
            ON OFF 4800
            OFF ON 9600
            OFF OFF 19200

            Is that what you meant about settings for the computer to talk to the TNC-X?

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
              The jumpers do have to be right, but he is referring to the TNC
              settings in the APRS software. Normally, you can select either TNC2
              then KISS mode, or just KISS mode. Let us know what software you are
              using and maybe we can help further.

              de NA4IT

              --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

              > Brian KD7SKX wrote...
              >
              > > Also does any one know the settings to put into the computer for
              > > APRS to talk to the TNC-X.
              >
              > I said yesterday... "if the TNC is working, just connect it and use
              it. It's
              > always in KISS mode. Just tell the APRS program to use KISS mode."
              >
              > I forgot to comment in my more recent reply that there is a jumper
              on the
              > TNC-X circuit board for setting the speed on the serial port.
              >
              > JP1 JP2 Port Speed
              > ON ON 1200 bps
              > ON OFF 4800
              > OFF ON 9600
              > OFF OFF 19200
              >
              > Is that what you meant about settings for the computer to talk to
              the TNC-X?

              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              > --

            • kd7skx
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007
                I am using UI View 32. Also I resolderd all the connections just to
                make sure, but still the same results. I had a hunch and started to
                track my power backwords. I found that some of the yellow microcaps
                have 11 in and 7 volts out. But some dont put out 7 volts. I think I
                may have fried some of them. Let me know what you guys think.

                Brian
              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 11, 2007
                  Brian KD7SKX wrote...

                  > I am using UI View 32. Also I resoldered all the connections just to
                  > make sure, but still the same results. I had a hunch and started to
                  > track my power backwards. I found that some of the yellow microcaps
                  > have 11 in and 7 volts out. But some don't put out 7 volts. I think I
                  > may have fried some of them. Let me know what you guys think.

                  Ummm... you are seeing 11V somewhere downstream from the 5V regulator? I
                  said earlier that hitting it with AC shouldn't have hurt because the input
                  is protected with a series diode. If that is installed correctly, you should
                  be OK. If it was backwards, it wouldn't have been good for the voltage
                  regulator. See my earlier message... are you getting +5V out of the
                  regulator and at all of the chips? Seeing 11V or 7V anywhere on the board
                  doesn't sound good.

                  I have one TNC-X built and running. I'm just putting another together now. I
                  can take a voltmeter to it when it's completed if you want to compare some
                  readings.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH