Re: [tnc-x] TNC-X and WL2K Paclink Attachments

  • John Hansen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 9:04 AM
      My fault.. I misread your message. You're correct, this should not be a
      problem on receive because the buffer should get emptied out as fast as
      the data comes in. It's hard for me to see how this can be a TNC issue,
      because the TNC doesn't know or care whether the data that is coming in
      is part of an attachment or not. The only way the TNC could be the
      issue is if the data were coming in too fast for it to process.... and
      as you point out, with the terminal line running at 9600 and the radio
      link running at 1200, this is impossible. Could it be that the fault is
      on the transmitting side where a buffer is getting over-run...so you're
      getting data but it doesn't make any sense?

      John W2FS

      Tim N9PUZ wrote:

      >Hmmm. That makes sense but the TNC-X is on the portable station so it
      >is receiving data from the Telpac Gateway. The "input" to the TNC-X
      >when the link quits is the over the air 1200 baud. The speed between
      >the TNC-X and the remote computer has been both 9600 and 19200. More
      >than enough in either case to carry away 1200 baud data.
      >
      >The log file actually looks like it gets to a certain point and then
      >the TNC-X "acks" but the Telpac Gateway just never sends any more data.
      >
      >Tim, N9PUZ
      >
      >John Hansen wrote:
      >

      >>Aha! This could be an indication of the problem. There is no flow
      >>control in KISS mode. Every TNC has a finite buffer size and TNC-X's is
      >>probably somewhat smaller than the KPC-3. The transmit buffer size in
      >>TNC-X is 6K. If you continuously throw data into it (faster than it can
      >>transmit it over the air) you'll overflow the buffer. It is kind of
      >>like running water into a sink faster than it can drain. This is true
      >>on any TNC, but especially true on TNC-X. So check to see what the data
      >>speed is between the computer and TNC-X. If it is currently faster than
      >>1200 baud, reduce it. This will slow down the rate at which the data
      >>comes out of the computer and give theTNC a chance to get rid of the old
      >>data before accumulating new.
      >>
      >>John W2FS
      >>

      >>Tim N9PUZ wrote:
      >>

      >>>I've looked for some reference to file sizes for attachments and found
      >>>nothing so far.
      >>>
      >>>It seems like attachments are sent from the Winlink system to my
      >>>portable station fine as long as they are around 8K Bytes or smaller
      >>>to begin with. According to the log screen in Packet Engine Pro it
      >>>looks like the symptoms of the failure are always that either the
      >>>Telnet server or the TelPac Gateway just quit sending data packets
      >>>above that size.
      >>>
      >>>I'll keep you appraised of whatever I learn.
      >>>
      >>>Tim, N9PUZ
      >>>

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 9:08 AM
        I think I read somewhere that there was an issue with AGWPE not working
        properly at one particular speed when it is operating in KISS mode.
        Unfortunately, that information is a couple of years old and I can't
        remember what speed it was. Searching the groups archive at yahoo
        should turn up the information.

        If the red XMIT light is coming on, they you can be sure that data
        communication between the TNC and the PC is working.

        John W2FS

        James Fay wrote:

        > Tests so far seem to show:
        >
        > Tnc-x w/ usb module
        > Leave jp1 & jp2 @ 9600 (they deal w/ serial port)
        >
        > For Windows XP set com1 (usb driver) for 1200 baud, no flow control
        > Reboot PC
        >
        > AGWPE com 1 set for 1200 baud
        >
        > Only tried so far w/ laptop and tnc-x, but does cause xmit red lite to
        > flash
        > on.
        >
        > Jim n3hpz
        >
        > .

      • James Fay
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1 9:45 AM

          I did have a chance to test Paclink today at a several miles distance from my Telpac site.

          A 25K Word file attachment did get thru both sending and receiving, using 1200 baud on both the com port/usb driver and on AGWPE.

          When these settings were on 9600 baud, the file would not get through.

          So this helped my setup, anyway.

          Jim n3hpz