Kiss mode and TNC-x

  • John Mathieson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007
      I have built the tnc-x and had John Hansen check it out since I was no
      getting any transmit audio. I have looked over my cable several times
      and rebuilt at least twice. The radio shack people now know me as the
      stereo plug guy. I am trying to use this to connect to a local jnos
      site via WinTNC. I have installed and deleted the software several
      times and tried different computers. I am getting no place. No audio
      and now no ptt either. It is beyond me to fix this puppy. I am
      decoding packets as the yellow light flashes when a station transmits
      on a packet frequency. The computer is not decoding however and of
      course, I cannot send.

      Any thoughts would be welcome.
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
        Use AGW Free Edition and WinPack. All I Can Tell Ya..

        Barry

        --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups.com, "John Mathieson" <jspokes@...> wrote:

        > I have built the tnc-x and had John Hansen check it out since I was no
        > getting any transmit audio. I have looked over my cable several times
        > and rebuilt at least twice. The radio shack people now know me as the
        > stereo plug guy. I am trying to use this to connect to a local jnos
        > site via WinTNC. I have installed and deleted the software several
        > times and tried different computers. I am getting no place. No audio
        > and now no ptt either. It is beyond me to fix this puppy. I am
        > decoding packets as the yellow light flashes when a station transmits
        > on a packet frequency. The computer is not decoding however and of
        > course, I cannot send.
        >
        > Any thoughts would be welcome.

      • Mike Ligeza
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
          Hi John

          A flashing Yellow LED means the receiver sent a signal to the TNC-x and
          it saw SOMETHING. But that doesn't mean the TNC-x was able to decode
          anything. You will see a Yellow LED flash if two packets collide on
          the air but will not be decoded.

          I tend to agree with the earlie responder. It may be a software
          problem.

          Try testing using Hyperterm. You may not be able to connect or see
          data that at times is gibberish but you should able to see some
          meaningful data such as calls etc. If you can, then you know your TNC-
          x is working, at least on the rcv side.

          Then try a decent Packet client such as WinPack. I found WinTNC a
          little too finicky when I tried it with my TNC-x.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
            when using WinPac what host mode do use?
            Thanks

            Mike Ligeza <ve3uil@...> wrote:
            Hi John

            A flashing Yellow LED means the receiver sent a signal to the TNC-x and
            it saw SOMETHING. But that doesn't mean the TNC-x was able to decode
            anything. You will see a Yellow LED flash if two packets collide on
            the air but will not be decoded.

            I tend to agree with the earlie responder. It may be a software
            problem.

            Try testing using Hyperterm. You may not be able to connect or see
            data that at times is gibberish but you should able to see some
            meaningful data such as calls etc. If you can, then you know your TNC-
            x is working, at least on the rcv side.

            Then try a decent Packet client such as WinPack. I found WinTNC a
            little too finicky when I tried it with my TNC-x.

            --- In tnc-x@yahoogroups. com, "John Mathieson" <jspokes@... > wrote:

            > I have built the tnc-x and had John Hansen check it out since I was no
            > getting any transmit audio. I have looked over my cable several times
            > and rebuilt at least twice. The radio shack people now know me as the
            > stereo plug guy. I am trying to use this to connect to a local jnos
            > site via WinTNC. I have installed and deleted the software several
            > times and tried different computers. I am getting no place. No audio
            > and now no ptt either. It is beyond me to fix this puppy. I am
            > decoding packets as the yellow light flashes when a station transmits
            > on a packet frequency. The computer is not decoding however and of
            > course, I cannot send.
            >
            > Any thoughts would be welcome.

          • Barry - K8TKF
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
              use agw packet engine with winpack , so u would use the agw host

              its the best thing to use
              barry