USB GPS Receivers

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
      I was recently presented a question concerning the TT3+ and the USB
      GPS receivers now available from Microsoft. Any thoughts on this
      working with the TNC-x? Seems to me it would be a fair bit of trouble.

      Matt, WX4MET
    • Ian ZL1VFO
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
        > 1. USB GPS Receivers
        > Posted by: "Matt" wx4met@... wx4met
        > Date: Sat Mar 3, 2007 5:38 pm ((PST))

        > I was recently presented a question concerning the TT3+ and the USB
        > GPS receivers now available from Microsoft. Any thoughts on this
        > working with the TNC-x? Seems to me it would be a fair bit of trouble.

        > Matt, WX4MET

        It would be a fair bit of trouble.

        The USB GPSs and a USB equipted TNC-x both need to talk to a USB Host,
        i.e. a computer; they're not able to talk to each other without one,
        as that's the nature of USB. (Ever wondered why there are USB-A plugs
        and USB-B plugs - it's to stop people attempting to connect two
        masters or two slaves together...)

        Unfortunately USB is not as simple as RS-232 serial comms, there's a
        whole lot more going on behind the scenes when you plug a USB device
        into a PC.

        However all is not lost, as there is usually some form of TTL type
        serial data present in a USB GPS before it goes into the GPS's USB
        slave chip, and it's not impossible to get at it and use it for trackers..

        See <www.qsl.net/zl1vfo/gps/gps.htm> if you are interested...

        73,
        Ian ZL1VFO

        Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing. http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com