TNC-X with APRSCE on PDA?

  • Bruce Sawtelle
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2005
      Has anyone tried to run the TNC-X with a PDA and APRSCE? I don't have
      any experiecne in this area, but I understand the earlier APRS
      programs have been targeted towards serial port based PDAs Now that
      there's the TNC-X with a USB interface ( or laterantely, it's
      a "virtual" serial port), will this be simpler/harder to to run with
      APRS programs on PDAs? Interested in Pocket Packet expericen as well.

      tnx es 73

      Bruce - W3NJ
    • Jason Rausch
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2005
        Back when I was really into making PocketAPRS work
        with EVERYTHING :o) I was playing with Palm OS
        devices. The native serial devices were normally just
        a matter of a null adapter to connect the TNC to a
        hotsync cable. When I started to play with Handspring
        Palm OS devices I was introduced to the world of
        USB/TTL comms. I designed a simple bi-directional
        serial>TTL and vise-versa cable around a Maxim IC
        MAX-203 IC. This worked pretty well.

        With the FTDI USB adapter on the TNC-X you have to
        have some kind of driver running on the OS to emulate
        a virtual com port. If there is a CE/PocketPC driver
        for the FTDI adapter, then I would say that is doable.
        If not, you might want to look for a serial sync
        cable for your particular PDA and use the serial
        interface of the TNC-X.

        Take a look at the page I made for the Pocket Packet
        stuff I was doing. Located at:
        http://www.ke4nyv.com/portapacket.htm Most of this
        info is old, but still usuable. I have since sold my
        Handspring PDAs but I still have the Sharp wizards,
        Palm IIIe and IIIc (color version)

        Hope that helps some.

        Jason KE4NYV
        www.ke4nyv.com
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        --- Bruce Sawtelle <W3NJ@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried to run the TNC-X with a PDA and
        > APRSCE? I don't have
        > any experiecne in this area, but I understand the
        > earlier APRS
        > programs have been targeted towards serial port
        > based PDAs Now that
        > there's the TNC-X with a USB interface ( or
        > laterantely, it's
        > a "virtual" serial port), will this be
        > simpler/harder to to run with
        > APRS programs on PDAs? Interested in Pocket Packet
        > expericen as well.
        >
        > tnx es 73
        >
        > Bruce - W3NJ
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Jason Rausch KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com
      • John Hansen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2005
          The following is from the FTDI website (they make the USB chip that is
          used with TNC-X):

          > *Note on Windows CE*
          >

          > Due to different processors in different PDAs it is necessary to have
          > a different driver compilation for each processor model. For this
          > reason, the drivers have not been posted on this site but are
          > available on request from FTDI Support <mailto:support1@...>.
          >

          > When requesting Windows CE drivers, please provide the following
          > information:
          >

          > *
          >
          > the processor model
          >
          > *
          >
          > the operating system installed
          >
          > *
          >
          > if it is VCP or D2XX drivers that are required
          >

          > *It is vital that the PDA have a USB host capability.* FTDI's
          > FT232BM, FT245BM, FT8U232AM and FT8U245AM devices are slave devices
          > and require a master to control them (i.e. a PC USB host controller).
          > If the PDA cannot act as a host, these devices will not function.

          I'd suggest you contact them. If your device does not have host
          capability, they undoubtedly won't have a driver for it. But if it
          does, it will almost certainly work with TNC-X. When the FTDI chip
          first came out the WinCE driver was being offered by a third party and
          it was not free. However, from the above it looks as if FTDI has taken
          it over, which probably means it will be free just as their other
          drivers are. BTW, if you contact them you will want the VCP driver.

          John W2FS

          Bruce Sawtelle wrote:

          > Has anyone tried to run the TNC-X with a PDA and APRSCE? I don't have
          > any experiecne in this area, but I understand the earlier APRS
          > programs have been targeted towards serial port based PDAs Now that
          > there's the TNC-X with a USB interface ( or laterantely, it's
          > a "virtual" serial port), will this be simpler/harder to to run with
          > APRS programs on PDAs? Interested in Pocket Packet expericen as well.
          >
          > tnx es 73
          >
          > Bruce - W3NJ

        • Bruce Sawtelle
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2005
            John/Jason,

            Thanks for your information, will need to do some more research.

            tnx es 73

            Bruce -W3NJ

            subject=Unsubscribe>