Re: [tmboptical] Nice News about a new Magic Project

  • Donald Rosenfield
    Message 1 of 77 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hmm. I wonder if the whole thing was a ploy to elicit comments such as those below so we end up designing Magic for him. :(

      Donald
      Subject: Re: [tmboptical] Nice News about a new Magic Project

      Lots of hints in Markus message.

      1) an eyepiece designer is making it

      2) excellent mechanical design and precise mechanical requirements are mentioned more than once
      ( so... it's adjustable )

      3) fixes problems every single telescope has to fight with
      ( spherical abberation? spherochromatism? curved field?
      coma? astigmatism?)

      4) improves resolution and contrast even to nonskilled eyes
      ( by fixing items under #3)

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • izar21093
      Message 77 of 77 , Nov 18, 2005
        Hi Kent,

        I have had an Intes, 1-1/4" Herschel Wedge for several years. The
        eyepiece holder tube can be unscrewed and the neutral density filter
        semi-permanantly installed above the prism. Then the polarizing
        filter is the only one to install on the eyepice unless you are
        using a large aperture scope. Then the addition of a "moon" filter
        may also be needed.

        With the bino-viewer. I find one side is polarized, the other side
        is not. Interesting.

        The wedge beats all of the film type filters hands-down.

        Bill G

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@e...> wrote:

        > Thanks, I belive that's the one I looked through at a recent star
        > party, and was duly impressed.
        >
        > Kent
        >
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Kent;
        > >
        > > I have the Intes 1.25" Herschel wedge which I purchased from
        Hands
        > > On Optics. I believe this is the same one carried by APM
        > > Telescopes. It's a LOT less expensive than the 2" Baader wedges
        > > though also not as idiot proofed.
        > >
        > > Seems to be fine optically but it has a typically Russian level
        of
        > > mechanical finish, ie somewhat on the crude side, like an
        optical
        > > T34 tank ;-)
        > >
        > > Hands On Optics does not show this item on their web site so
        check
        > > with them via phone or email regarding availability and current
        > > price with the required ND3 filter and polarizer. The filters
        are
        > > not included with the Intes Herschel wedge. Neither are
        > > instructions. If you need instructions for safe use email me
        off
        > > group.
        > >
        > > Rich Wood
        > >

        > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@e...>