Mounting TMB 100 f8

  • sheaeagle
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2003
      I will be receiving my 100 f8 in about two weeks. I have received
      the Losmandy GM 8 on which I will mount it and I have a question.
      Would it be sufficient to mount the scope to the dovetail mounting
      plate using just two 1/4" 20 bolts. The pre-drilled holes in the
      Losmandy Universal mounting plate are not spaced to allow use of the
      outer holes on the TMB rings (which are spaced 2.36" apart).
      Accordingly, unless I want to drill new holes, I would have to use
      just the center line holes in the mounting plate.

      Thanks in advance for the advice

      Tom Shea
    • jamesn20012001
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2003
        Two bolts are quite sufficient. I have a TMB 100 f8 and a GM 8 and also a Giro
        mount with a modified mounting plate that takes the Losmandy dovetail and the two
        screws that were, I think, supplied with the Losmandy attach the dovetail plate snugly
        to the TMB rings. Balance seems best with the rear ring connection made to the
        dovetail hole that is about 1 1/2 inches from the end. You might want to consider
        bolting a flat handle to the two opposite holes on the top of the mounting rings. This
        would allow you to carry the telescope tube safely with one hand and no risk of
        dropping the scope while sliding the dovetail into the Losmandy mount.

        Also, be sure to buy a couple of three quarter inch long bolts to thread into the holes
        closest the ends of the dovetail- it is easy to improperly tighten the dovetail when
        initially setting up and without the two safety screws in place your TMB can do a fast
        ski jump to the ground.

        Good luck with your new scope.

        Jim Nash

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheaeagle" <TEAShea@a...> wrote:
        > I will be receiving my 100 f8 in about two weeks. I have received
        > the Losmandy GM 8 on which I will mount it and I have a question.
        > Would it be sufficient to mount the scope to the dovetail mounting
        > plate using just two 1/4" 20 bolts. The pre-drilled holes in the
        > Losmandy Universal mounting plate are not spaced to allow use of the
        > outer holes on the TMB rings (which are spaced 2.36" apart).
        > Accordingly, unless I want to drill new holes, I would have to use
        > just the center line holes in the mounting plate.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for the advice
        >
        > Tom Shea
      • tmboptical
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2003
          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "jamesn20012001"
          <jamesn20012001@y...> wrote:
          > Two bolts are quite sufficient. I have a TMB 100 f8 and
          > a GM 8 and also a Giro mount with a modified mounting
          > plate that takes the Losmandy dovetail and the two
          > screws that were, I think, supplied with the Losmandy
          > attach the dovetail plate snugly to the TMB rings...
          >
          > Jim Nash

          Jim is correct. I have a Losmandy GM-8, and use it on my
          personal TMB 100mm f/8, with the basic dovetail plate,
          and using the two center holes only, to mount the telescope
          rings to the mount. Just make sure the rings are not tilted
          to each other, and make sure you snug the 1/4 x 20 bolts
          tight, but do not over do it. Use at least one safety bolt
          at the top, and two are better.

          Thomas Back
        • ryderc1
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2003
            I found that an AP Dove 08 saddle is far superior to the Losmandy GM-
            8 saddle on the Giro. AP sells an adapter that allows the Dove 08 to
            be bolted directly to the Giro (via the adapter)arm (which has
            Takahashi hole spacing). Then, use an 8" or 10" AP sliding bar with
            your scope rings. The risk of the sliding bar slipping in the AP is
            much lower than the Losmady plate sliding through the Losmandy
            Saddle. The bolt heads that hold the rings to the plate serve as
            safety stops.

            I believe there is a photo in the files section submitted by
            steelnavy which illustrates this AP set up on the Giro. I've had both
            set ups and after having had mishaps with both a TMB 105 CNC and TMB
            100 TMB I'm sticking with the AP set up for good.

            <jamesn20012001@y...> wrote:
            > Two bolts are quite sufficient. I have a TMB 100 f8 and a GM 8
            and also a Giro
            > mount with a modified mounting plate that takes the Losmandy
            dovetail and the two
            > screws that were, I think, supplied with the Losmandy attach the
            dovetail plate snugly
            > to the TMB rings. Balance seems best with the rear ring
            connection made to the
            > dovetail hole that is about 1 1/2 inches from the end. You might
            want to consider
            > bolting a flat handle to the two opposite holes on the top of the
            mounting rings. This
            > would allow you to carry the telescope tube safely with one hand
            and no risk of
            > dropping the scope while sliding the dovetail into the Losmandy
            mount.

            > Also, be sure to buy a couple of three quarter inch long bolts to
            thread into the holes
            > closest the ends of the dovetail- it is easy to improperly tighten
            the dovetail when
            > initially setting up and without the two safety screws in place
            your TMB can do a fast
            > ski jump to the ground.
            >
            > Good luck with your new scope.
            >
            > Jim Nash
            >

            > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheaeagle" <TEAShea@a...> wrote:
            > > I will be receiving my 100 f8 in about two weeks. I have
            received
            > > the Losmandy GM 8 on which I will mount it and I have a
            question.
            > > Would it be sufficient to mount the scope to the dovetail
            mounting
            > > plate using just two 1/4" 20 bolts. The pre-drilled holes in the
            > > Losmandy Universal mounting plate are not spaced to allow use of
            the
            > > outer holes on the TMB rings (which are spaced 2.36" apart).
            > > Accordingly, unless I want to drill new holes, I would have to
            use
            > > just the center line holes in the mounting plate.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance for the advice
            > >
            > > Tom Shea
          • Mark Hammons
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2003
              > I found that an AP Dove 08 saddle is far superior to the Losmandy GM-
              > 8 saddle on the Giro. AP sells an adapter that allows the Dove 08 to
              > be bolted directly to the Giro (via the adapter)arm (which has
              > Takahashi hole spacing). Then, use an 8" or 10" AP sliding bar with
              > your scope rings. The risk of the sliding bar slipping in the AP is
              > much lower than the Losmady plate sliding through the Losmandy
              > Saddle. The bolt heads that hold the rings to the plate serve as
              > safety stops.
              >
              > I believe there is a photo in the files section submitted by
              > steelnavy which illustrates this AP set up on the Giro. I've had both
              > set ups and after having had mishaps with both a TMB 105 CNC and TMB
              > 100 TMB I'm sticking with the AP set up for good.

              The Dove 08 system seems to be have the same dovetail dimensions of width
              and dovetail angle as Zeiss. I know AP made a mount for a while for Zeiss so
              I assume the DOVE 08 is from that collaberation. I have the Dove 08 setup
              and use it with my Tak EM-10 mount and can vouch for how nice it is.

              Mark Hammons
            • mrgrytt
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2003
                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheaeagle" <TEAShea@a...> wrote:
                > I will be receiving my 100 f8 in about two weeks. I have received
                > the Losmandy GM 8 on which I will mount it and I have a question.
                > Would it be sufficient to mount the scope to the dovetail mounting
                > plate using just two 1/4" 20 bolts. The pre-drilled holes in the
                > Losmandy Universal mounting plate are not spaced to allow use of the
                > outer holes on the TMB rings (which are spaced 2.36" apart).
                > Accordingly, unless I want to drill new holes, I would have to use
                > just the center line holes in the mounting plate.
                >
                > Thanks in advance for the advice
                >
                > Tom Shea

                Tom,
                As people had mentioned, the DOVE08 with the 7 inch sliding bar
                will work fine for you. I used that setup for a while and was very
                happy with it. However, with all of the stuff that I sometimes attach
                to the scope I became a bit worried about only having the rings
                attached with a single bolt in each one. The problem was that there
                was nothing I could find commercially that would do the same job with
                the balancing and allow me to attach with two bolts in each ring.
                What I finally came up with works very well and gives me just as
                much, if not more, balance adjustment than the DOVE08 and 7 inch bar.
                It does require a bit of machining though.
                I use a modified DOVELM and a short Losmandy universal bar. It
                also requires the use of the Astro-Physics adapter blocks for mounting
                their rings on the short Losmandy bar, which also work with the TMB rings.
                The modifications were to mill longer and partly wider grooves in
                the plate for the "stop" bolts to travel in. It also required adding
                a third locking knob in the center so you are able to lock it down
                with at least two knobs regardless of where it is in the range of travel.
                I put three pictures in the Photos section in the "Dovetail
                Plate" folder. Two of them show the travel and one shows the
                necessary modifications. You have to get the additional knob from
                Astro-Physics.
                I sent the modifications to Astro-Physics some time ago and I
                think they actually used some of the idea to modify the DOVELM and now
                call it the DOVELM2. They didn't add the third knob or put the more
                narrow center track in but they increased the travel allowed for the
                larger Losmandy stopping knobs.

                Regards,
                Harvey
              • izar21093
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2003
                  I routinely mount my 100/800 CNC with the center bolts on the
                  dovetail plate.

                  I assume yours is the LW version. If so, there should be no concern
                  about using the two center bolts to mount it.

                  Bill G
                  *****