Let me introduce myself

  • sheaeagle
    Message 1 of 25 , May 22, 2003
      By name is Tom and I just joined this group, although I have been
      reading it for quite a while. I have ordered a 100 f8 from Thomas,
      which should be ready in two or three weeks. Like everyone else, I
      am filled with anticipation at owning a real TMB scope. It is a long
      way from the 4 1/4" reflector I built when I was 14, using the
      Edmunds Scientic 32 page booklet on how to grind a mirror and build a
      reflector. It is amazing that it worked when I got it put together.
      Message 2 of 25 , May 22, 2003
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheaeagle" <TEAShea@a...
        > wrote:
        > By name is Tom and I just joined this group, although I have been
        > reading it for quite a while. I have ordered a 100 f8 from Thomas,
        > which should be ready in two or three weeks. Like everyone else, I
        > am filled with anticipation at owning a real TMB scope. It is a long
        > way from the 4 1/4" reflector I built when I was 14, using the
        > Edmunds Scientic 32 page booklet on how to grind a mirror and build a
        > reflector. It is amazing that it worked when I got it put together.

        Welcome aboard Tom, glad to have you. I'm sure it's going to be a
        long two or three weeks as you await the TMB-100 F/8. Get ready for a
        whole lot of fun.

        Good stuff that you made your own mirror as a teenager.

        Observing reports welcome...

        ___
        Tim
      • izar21093
        Message 3 of 25 , May 22, 2003
          As an owner of a TMB 100/800, I feel confident to say that you will
          enjoy your new scope!

          Bill G
          *****

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheaeagle" <TEAShea@a...> wrote:
          > By name is Tom and I just joined this group, although I have been
          > reading it for quite a while. I have ordered a 100 f8 from Thomas,
          > which should be ready in two or three weeks. Like everyone else, I
          > am filled with anticipation at owning a real TMB scope. It is a
          long
          > way from the 4 1/4" reflector I built when I was 14, using the
          > Edmunds Scientic 32 page booklet on how to grind a mirror and build
          > reflector. It is amazing that it worked when I got it put together.
        • Donald Rosenfield
          Message 4 of 25 , May 22, 2003
            Welcome to the group, Tom!

            The youngest kid working by himself (not with the help of
            a parent) in any group I helped in was nine years old; he
            made a good 6"f8.

            The most interesting was a 16-year-old with no arm below
            his right elbow. He did the work with his left hand and
            his right elbow.

            Donald
          • Neil (nheil as was)
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
              Hello All,

              I wanted to say a quick thank you for letting me join the group, and to introduce myself
              briefly.

              Like many posters I have seen on various fora, I am a returning amateur. In the eighties,
              when I was in my early teens, I owned what is commonly called a 'trash scope,' a Tasco
              76mm refractor if I recall correctly. Despite what I now understand about scope quality, I
              will say that I had many hours of viewing pleasure with this scope...

              Of course, I lusted after, but could never afford, a larger scope. So when my interest in
              astronomy recently rekindled with a vengeance, I just assumed that I would buy a
              Celestron or Meade 8" SCT - my dream scope from those days.

              After some searching, I found Cloudy Nights a few months ago and in its review section I
              noticed a Celestron 8 vs TMB 100 'shootout.' Needless to say, I was intrigued by the result:
              how could even a top-quality refractor beat a scope with twice its aperture? So I looked at
              as many reviews as I could and it quickly became obvious that TMB scopes were among
              the best of the best. Since I am fortunate to be at a point in my life where I can afford one,
              I decided that I would go ahead and buy one. My household's chief financial officer has
              given her approval.

              I'm happy with my decision, even though there is much debate among the fans of the
              various top-end APOs. Not having the skill or experience to address the differences
              between TeleVue, Tak, Stellarvue, Williams and TMB and others, I decided to stop worrying
              and go with my gut. I'm sure they are all top class and since the TMB scopes have received
              unanimous (from what I've read) praise, I know I'll be getting a quality instrument that will
              last many years.

              Also, I prefer refractors in general: there is something exciting about using an instrument
              that effectively does not differ in design or theory of operation from what Galilieo used in
              the early 17th century! Of course, the optics and everything else are many orders of
              magnitude better, but I feel that there is a direct link to the past.

              Portability is a prime concern for me, as I live in a pretty light-polluted area. So I've
              decided to go with either the 100mm or the 105mm. Mr. Back was kind enough to
              respond to my recent e-mail inquiring about wait times for the latter with the news that
              the 105s are in line for a new CNC body in four months or so. This works out well for me,
              since there's a good chance I'll be relocating over the early part of '06, so am intending to
              order a scope for the fall/winter of that year - about nine months or so from today.

              Needless to say, I am very excited by the prospect! It's going to be a tough wait but that'll
              just make the experience better! In the meantime, I'll be reading the discussions here with
              much interest. Thanks again for letting me join.

              Neil

              Originally from: Scotland
              Location: Southern Connecticut
              Current Scopes owned: Stellarvue NH2 80mm/Cheap 3" reflector
              Preferred targets: Lunar/Planetary
            • Mark
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Neil (nheil as was)"
                <nsim_99@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                enough to
                > respond to my recent e-mail inquiring about wait times for the
                latter with the news that
                > the 105s are in line for a new CNC body in four months or so. This
                works out well for me,
                > since there's a good chance I'll be relocating over the early part
                of '06, so am intending to
                > order a scope for the fall/winter of that year - about nine months
                or so from today.

                > Needless to say, I am very excited by the prospect! It's going to be
                a tough wait but that'll
                > just make the experience better! In the meantime, I'll be reading
                the discussions here with
                > much interest. Thanks again for letting me join.
                >
                > Neil
                >
                > Originally from: Scotland
                > Location: Southern Connecticut
                > Current Scopes owned: Stellarvue NH2 80mm/Cheap 3" reflector

                Hi Neil

                There are at least 3 of us here who are in Fairfield County CT. We
                typically observe a couple times a month at a cemetery in Monroe. It
                used to be a private airfield, so it's a large open area, and of
                course the neighbors are quiet. The sky isn't star party dark, but we
                can usually see the milky way.

                If you contact me at mark@... I can let you know the next time
                we're getting together to observe.

                Regards,

                Mark
              • jimhp29401us
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                  Hello Neil,
                  Welcome! You are going to really enjoy your new scope.
                  Congratulations!

                  Jim Phillips

> [...]
                  kind enough to
                  > respond to my recent e-mail inquiring about wait times for the
                  latter with the news that
                  > the 105s are in line for a new CNC body in four months or so. This
                  works out well for me,
                  > since there's a good chance I'll be relocating over the early part
                  of '06, so am intending to
                  > order a scope for the fall/winter of that year - about nine months
                  or so from today.

                  > Needless to say, I am very excited by the prospect! It's going to
                  be a tough wait but that'll
                  > just make the experience better! In the meantime, I'll be reading
                  the discussions here with
                  > much interest. Thanks again for letting me join.
                  >
                  > Neil
                  >
                  > Originally from: Scotland
                  > Location: Southern Connecticut
                  > Current Scopes owned: Stellarvue NH2 80mm/Cheap 3" reflector

                • Mark Rieck
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                    Hi Neil,
                    Once you find the price range you are comfortable, see if the
                    slightly larger 115 fits into it.

                    A highly biased Mark

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                      Hi Neil

                      > There are at least 3 of us here who are in Fairfield County CT. We
                      > typically observe a couple times a month at a cemetery in Monroe. It
                      > used to be a private airfield, so it's a large open area, and of
                      > course the neighbors are quiet. The sky isn't star party dark, but we
                      > can usually see the milky way.
                      >
                      > If you contact me at mark@b... I can let you know the next time
                      > we're getting together to observe.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Mark

                      Thanks Mark!

                      I'll absolutely do that. I'm in New Haven, so not too far away. There's apparently some
                      good dark sky in Bethany also, though every time I've planned to go there I've been
                      thwarted by the weather.

                      Neil
                    • Neil (nheil as was)
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rieck" <derklaus@c...> wrote:

                        > Hi Neil,
                        > Once you find the price range you are comfortable, see if the
                        > slightly larger 115 fits into it.

                        Mark,

                        I suspect I'll be tempted by the 115 - and the price difference isn't huge after all. My first
                        step is to wait till the new Optical Tubes that Mr. Back mentioned in his e-mail to me are
                        ready. He assumed that would take about four months. After I've seen them I'll make a
                        final decision.

                        I'm also trying to decide whether it's best to buy directly from TMB or to use Astronomics.
                        The latter option seems to be cheaper, based, I'm guessing, on the warranty offered.

                        If the time from ordering to receiving the scope remains a few months, I would anticipate
                        taking possession in the fall of '06; not too long a wait, I guess.....

                        The SV Night Hawk is a decent interim scope, but I' already getting impatient just thinking
                        about the TMBs!

                        Neil
                      • Eric Baumgartner
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Hi, Neil:

                          Welcome to the TMB group! I think that you'll find the group's discussions
                          generally very informative, and its members willing and able to genreously
                          help out with answers to questions, problems, etc. A good number of group
                          members are extraordinarily talented astro-imagers, too, and their work
                          can't help but awe and inspire. Their pictures are testaments to the
                          exquisite and uncompromising quality of TMB optics and mechanicals.

                          As Mark mentioned in his response to you, three of us in southwestern
                          Connecticut (Fairfield County) hook up together whenever we can to observe
                          with our TMB scopes. In our little group you'll find scopes from the little
                          TMB 80/600 to the mighty TMB 229, so you might wish to join us and see how
                          these scopes perform under the less-than-ideal skies of southern New
                          England.

                          Regards,

                          Eric Baumgartner
                          Redding, CT USA

                        • Neil (nheil as was)
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Eric Baumgartner <malkasten@s...> wrote:

                            > Hi, Neil:
                            >
                            > Welcome to the TMB group! I think that you'll find the group's discussions
                            > generally very informative, and its members willing and able to genreously
                            > help out with answers to questions, problems, etc. A good number of group
                            > members are extraordinarily talented astro-imagers, too, and their work
                            > can't help but awe and inspire. Their pictures are testaments to the
                            > exquisite and uncompromising quality of TMB optics and mechanicals.
                            >
                            > As Mark mentioned in his response to you, three of us in southwestern
                            > Connecticut (Fairfield County) hook up together whenever we can to observe
                            > with our TMB scopes. In our little group you'll find scopes from the little
                            > TMB 80/600 to the mighty TMB 229, so you might wish to join us and see how
                            > these scopes perform under the less-than-ideal skies of southern New
                            > England.
                            >
                            > Regards,

                            Thanks Eric,

                            I'm looking forward to meeting you and your fellow observers - though after seeing a 229,
                            I may start buying lottery tickets!

                            Maybe if I sold the car....and the dogs...and...and....

                            Neil
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Eric Baumgartner <malkasten@s...
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > Hi, Neil:
                              >
                              > Welcome to the TMB group! I think that you'll find the group's

                              Welcome to the group Neil.

                              > discussions generally very informative, and its members willing and
                              > able to genreously help out with answers to questions, problems,
                              > etc. A good number of group
                              > members are extraordinarily talented astro-imagers, too, and their
                              > work
                              > can't help but awe and inspire. Their pictures are testaments to the
                              > exquisite and uncompromising quality of TMB optics and mechanicals.
                              >
                              > As Mark mentioned in his response to you, three of us in
                              > southwestern Connecticut (Fairfield County) hook up together
                              > whenever we can to observe with our TMB scopes. In our little group
                              > you'll find scopes from the little TMB 80/600 to the mighty TMB
                              > 229, so you might wish to join us and see how
                              > these scopes perform under the less-than-ideal skies of southern New
                              > England.

                              That sounds pretty cool Eric. Neil will have to get one of those
                              burgundy shirts with TMB Optical embroided on it that you guys have.
                              it's a sharp looking combination and I got one after seeing it.

                              Tim

                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Eric Baumgartner
                              > Redding, CT USA

                            • Donald Rosenfield
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
                                Maybe if I sold the car....and the dogs...and...and....

                                Neil
                              • David Cotterell
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  --- Eric Baumgartner <malkasten@...> wrote:

                                  > As Mark mentioned in his response to you, three of
                                  > us in southwestern
                                  > Connecticut (Fairfield County) hook up together
                                  > whenever we can to observe
                                  > with our TMB scopes. In our little group you'll find
                                  > scopes from the little
                                  > TMB 80/600 to the mighty TMB 229, so you might wish
                                  > to join us and see how
                                  > these scopes perform under the less-than-ideal skies
                                  > of southern New
                                  > England.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Eric Baumgartner
                                  > Redding, CT USA
                                  >

                                  > I sometimes visit friends in Cape Cod and would
                                  possibly be able to stop by Fairfield County on my way
                                  to or from Toronto. (not too far out of my way.) My
                                  203mm achro would not make the trip, however because
                                  I'm still working on a case and other portability
                                  necessities. I may be passing through sometime
                                  between Dec 27 an Jan6. ?Could observe with you.
                                  Always nice to put a face on an email or two......
                                  (p.s. I will bring genuine Canadian Beer......)
                                  d.c. near Toronto

                                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                  dsl.yahoo.com
                                • Wayne G
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
                                    Message: 4
                                    Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:26:24 -0000
                                    From: "Neil (nheil as was)" <nsim_99@...>
                                    Subject: Let me introduce myself

[...]

                                    Over the past year, I have had increasingly difficult professional,
                                    personal, and now health, issues which have greatly impacted on my ability
                                    and frequency to observe as well as even find the time to closely follow
                                    forums or post, but your comments above caught my eye enough to prompt me to
                                    respond. Let me just add a few comments to the subject that I think you'll
                                    find interesting:

                                    Several weeks ago, I had my six-inch Super-ED TMB out to observe Mars near
                                    the closest point of opposition. I had observed the planet through other
                                    telescopes up to that point, mostly some sort of compound optics, and with
                                    mostly pretty good results though. However, my immediate impression this
                                    night through the 152 using SuperMonocentric eyepieces was a quantum
                                    improvement over previous views with an unprecedented level of contrast,
                                    sharpness and detail. Subtle, very low contrast features were seen which
                                    entirely eluded other telescopes I had tried.

                                    I was so transfixed by the view that I couldn't tear my eyes from the
                                    eyepieces. A friend showed up to observe as well--- he has numerous
                                    telescopes ranging from a Russian maksutov-newtonian up through an SCT,
                                    mid-sized dobs, all the way up to very huge, highest-quality dobsonians
                                    which he stops off-axis to view planets. He admitted to not being much of a
                                    Mars fan because he so seldom sees much detail on the planet to excite him,
                                    and he regularly looks through a wide range of other people's telescopes,
                                    though probably none of them good refractors (if any refractors at all).

                                    We had Mars in a Z-B bino with Monocentrics in the 152, and after a short
                                    while looking at Mars, he looked up and announced to me that the view was
                                    the clearest, sharpest, most detailed view of Mars he had EVER had! I then
                                    told him that the seeing was only fair that night and the view was probably
                                    only a 3+ (out of 1-5) that the scope was capable of. But I was both taken
                                    back, startled and a bit flattered by his comment about the quality of the
                                    view.

                                    Another fellow has a C9.25 that I also know but he also reported that I was
                                    seeing more detail than he ever sees. In the past I've seen his scope
                                    perform very well, but the views now seem very issued and indicate to me he
                                    probably needs to take the scope apart for a major overhaul. But is the
                                    refractor some sort of magical elixir that bends the laws of optical physics
                                    in this regard? Of course not, but while I so often see other telescopes
                                    performing far below their expected potential due to one reason or another,
                                    the refractor has the unerring ability to always perform at 100% of its
                                    theoretical ability without loss of collimation or mechanical adjustments,
                                    major cool down issues and turbulence, spurious elements affecting the view
                                    like stray light, dust and dirt introduced into the internals, obstructions
                                    in the path, condensations, degraded coatings and on and on.

                                    So yes, few other designs can be as reliably counted on to always deliver at
                                    their full potential like a refractor can, which is a large part of why they
                                    often seem to out-perform for their size.

                                    As an aside, regarding the topic of why a 7" apo costs $10,000 more than an
                                    8", well, another reason I haven't seen mentioned to consider is in the
                                    sheer difficulty in getting the larger pieces melted and formed without
                                    internal defects like stress, bubbles and other striations. The frequency
                                    of rejection of the blanks, as well as the far greater amount of work in
                                    figuring the glass, etcetera, all play a role in the final cost. Since you
                                    must look THROUGH the elements, not just off their surface, every part of
                                    the lens counts, and as size increases, that difficulty, time and subsequent
                                    cost in getting perfect quality throughout can increase exponentially.

                                    Wayne
                                  • Robert Anderson
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
                                      Hi Neil

                                      I had the TMB 115LW and loved it. Actually, loved it too much so when
                                      the decision was either a motorcycle or a larger scope, I went for
                                      the 7" TMB.

                                      Welcome on board and here's hoping your dream is fullfilled soon. The
                                      TMB products are truly the top of the heap product and a decision
                                      users have never regretted.

                                      Cheers

                                      Bob

                                      <nsim_99@y...> wrote:

                                      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rieck" <derklaus@c...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > > Hi Neil,
                                      > > Once you find the price range you are comfortable, see if the
                                      > > slightly larger 115 fits into it.
                                      >
                                      > Mark,
                                      >
                                      > I suspect I'll be tempted by the 115 - and the price difference
                                      isn't huge after all. My first
                                      > step is to wait till the new Optical Tubes that Mr. Back mentioned
                                      in his e-mail to me are
                                      > ready. He assumed that would take about four months. After I've
                                      seen them I'll make a
                                      > final decision.
                                      >
                                      > I'm also trying to decide whether it's best to buy directly from
                                      TMB or to use Astronomics.
                                      > The latter option seems to be cheaper, based, I'm guessing, on the
                                      warranty offered.

                                      > If the time from ordering to receiving the scope remains a few
                                      months, I would anticipate
                                      > taking possession in the fall of '06; not too long a wait, I
                                      guess.....

                                      > The SV Night Hawk is a decent interim scope, but I' already getting
                                      impatient just thinking
                                      > about the TMBs!
                                      >
                                      > Neil

                                    • Eric Baumgartner
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 2, 2005
                                        Hi, David:

                                        While Fairfield County isn't exactly on the direct track between Toronto and
                                        Cape Cod, we would surely welcome you to join up with us. I hope to take
                                        some time off from work between the holidays, so I would certainly be up for
                                        some winter observing. Perhaps you could teach us wimpy New Englanders a
                                        thing or two about cold-weather observing!

                                        If all goes well, I should be getting my AP900GTO mount and PWT Monolith
                                        pier sometime this month, so my new TMB 175/1400 might be finally ready to
                                        graduate from serving as a very long coffee table to an astronomical
                                        instrument just around the time you drive through Connecticut.

                                        Fellow TMB'er Mark Holden has set up a Yahoo Group to coordinate our
                                        observing sessions. Check out <DarkSkyCT@yahoogroups.com>.

                                        Regards,

                                        Eric Baumgartner
                                        Redding, CT USA

                                        On 12/01/05 2:41 PM, "David Cotterell" <doublestargeezer@...> wrote:

                                        > I sometimes visit friends in Cape Cod and would possibly be able to stop by
                                        > Fairfield County on my way to or from Toronto. (not too far out of my way.)
                                        > My 203mm achro would not make the trip, however because I'm still working on
                                        > a case and other portability necessities. I may be passing through
                                        > sometime between Dec 27 an Jan6. ?Could observe with you. Always nice to
                                        > put a face on an email or two...... (p.s. I will bring genuine Canadian
                                        > Beer......) d.c. near Toronto
                                        >

                                        > --- Eric Baumgartner <malkasten@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> > As Mark mentioned in his response to you, three of us in southwestern
                                        >> > Connecticut (Fairfield County) hook up together whenever we can to observe
                                        >> > with our TMB scopes. In our little group you'll find scopes from the little
                                        >> > TMB 80/600 to the mighty TMB 229, so you might wish to join us and see how
                                        >> > these scopes perform under the less-than-ideal skies of southern New
                                        >> England.
                                        >> >
                                        >> > Regards,
                                        >> >
                                        >> > Eric Baumgartner
                                        >> > Redding, CT USA

                                      • Robert Anderson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 6, 2005
                                          Hi Eric

                                          Your going to love the PWT Monolith. My twin had his AP1200 on his
                                          and I had the Paramount ME on mine. My Monolith was 42" high which
                                          was perfect for the TMB 175.

                                          Here's a shot of me out last winter with it

                                          <http://tpo.ca/Late_Winter_Imaging_Run.htm>

                                          I've have everything now in the dome but kind of miss getting out to
                                          the dark sites with the rig.

                                          All the best and clear skies!

                                          Cheers

                                          Bob

                                          wrote:

                                          > Hi, David:
                                          >
                                          > While Fairfield County isn't exactly on the direct track between
                                          Toronto and
                                          > Cape Cod, we would surely welcome you to join up with us. I hope to
                                          take
                                          > some time off from work between the holidays, so I would certainly
                                          be up for
                                          > some winter observing. Perhaps you could teach us wimpy New
                                          Englanders a
                                          > thing or two about cold-weather observing!
                                          >
                                          > If all goes well, I should be getting my AP900GTO mount and PWT
                                          Monolith
                                          > pier sometime this month, so my new TMB 175/1400 might be finally
                                          ready to
                                          > graduate from serving as a very long coffee table to an astronomical
                                          > instrument just around the time you drive through Connecticut.
                                          >
                                          > Fellow TMB'er Mark Holden has set up a Yahoo Group to coordinate our
                                          > observing sessions. Check out <DarkSkyCT@yahoogroups.com>.
                                          >
                                          > Regards,
                                          >
                                          > Eric Baumgartner
                                          > Redding, CT USA
                                          >

                                          > On 12/01/05 2:41 PM, "David Cotterell" <doublestargeezer@y...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > > I sometimes visit friends in Cape Cod and would possibly be able
                                          to stop by
                                          > > Fairfield County on my way to or from Toronto. (not too far out
                                          of my way.)
                                          > > My 203mm achro would not make the trip, however because I'm still
                                          working on
                                          > > a case and other portability necessities. I may be passing
                                          through
                                          > > sometime between Dec 27 an Jan6. ?Could observe with you.
                                          Always nice to
                                          > > put a face on an email or two...... (p.s. I will bring genuine
                                          Canadian
                                          > > Beer......) d.c. near Toronto

                                          > >> England.

                                        • APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 7, 2005
                                            Hi Robert

                                            you are a real amateurastronomer , going out at such cold weather all night to do imaging, remembers me on my beginning time, where I did not have had a backyard and moved also tons of stuff to a nice dark area.

                                            Now with the backyard , i just got to lazy to transport everything to darker places :-(

                                            enjoy your new backyard

                                            wrote:

                                            > Hi, David:
                                            >
                                            > While Fairfield County isn't exactly on the direct track between
                                            Toronto and
                                            > Cape Cod, we would surely welcome you to join up with us. I hope to
                                            take
                                            > some time off from work between the holidays, so I would certainly
                                            be up for
                                            > some winter observing. Perhaps you could teach us wimpy New
                                            Englanders a
                                            > thing or two about cold-weather observing!
                                            >
                                            > If all goes well, I should be getting my AP900GTO mount and PWT
                                            Monolith
                                            > pier sometime this month, so my new TMB 175/1400 might be finally
                                            ready to
                                            > graduate from serving as a very long coffee table to an astronomical
                                            > instrument just around the time you drive through Connecticut.
                                            >
                                            > Fellow TMB'er Mark Holden has set up a Yahoo Group to coordinate our
                                            > observing sessions. Check out <DarkSkyCT@yahoogroups.com>.
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            >
                                            > Eric Baumgartner
                                            > Redding, CT USA
                                            >

                                            > On 12/01/05 2:41 PM, "David Cotterell" <doublestargeezer@y...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > > I sometimes visit friends in Cape Cod and would possibly be able
                                            to stop by
                                            > > Fairfield County on my way to or from Toronto. (not too far out
                                            of my way.)
                                            > > My 203mm achro would not make the trip, however because I'm still
                                            working on
                                            > > a case and other portability necessities. I may be passing
                                            through
                                            > > sometime between Dec 27 an Jan6. ?Could observe with you.
                                            Always nice to
                                            > > put a face on an email or two...... (p.s. I will bring genuine
                                            Canadian
                                            > > Beer......) d.c. near Toronto

                                            > >> England.

                                          • Eric Baumgartner
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 7, 2005
                                              Hi, Robert:

                                              Thanks for the good word on the PWT Monolith. I am eagerly looking forward
                                              to getting it, perhaps just in time for Christmas. The man behind Particle
                                              Wave Technologies, Shahin Zarehparvar, is the Thomas Back of the pier tripod
                                              world: a hard-working perfectionist who strives to make the very best
                                              product imaginable. Like Thomas, Shahin works late into the night to get his
                                              products to customers. This past weekend, for instance, he was planning on
                                              machining the full index adapter plates for my pier and others on order,
                                              since the shop with which he contracts to do his machining wasn't going to
                                              get them done in time! He is a delightful person to deal
                                              with--knowledgeable, soft-spoken, and clearly passionate about his products
                                              and amateur astronomy.

                                              For my TMB 175, I have ordered a 48" high Monolith and an auxiliary 5" high
                                              pier extension to bring the total pier height to 53". Once I get it, I will
                                              have to rehearse the "Povlick Maneuver" to safely manhandle the scope into
                                              the tube rings. I'll probably need a short step ladder or one-step platform
                                              to hoist it up into the saddle.

                                              The photo of your imaging rig chills me to the bone each time I see it! You
                                              mean to tell me that you squeeze all that stuff into your Audi A6?
                                              Incredible!

                                              Best regards,

                                              Eric Baumgartner
                                              Redding, CT USA

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 8, 2005
                                                Thanks Markus

                                                I actually miss going out to that site, (park located 60 miles north
                                                of Toronto and 300 meters up on an escarpment). The cops would
                                                generally show up around 2am in the morning and I would stop the
                                                imaging and take a tour of galaxies and nebula for them capturing a
                                                minute or two so they could see what was around.

                                                Normally they would leave after a half hour later thanking me for the
                                                tour.

                                                That enscarpment continues 2oo miles north running into the Great
                                                Lakes, (formed during the ice age), and I would take my kids up in
                                                the summer time and dive along it to teach them scuba diving.

                                                Getting off topic but memories of the good ole days, eh!

                                                Cheers

                                                Bob

                                                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes"
                                                <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Robert
                                                >
                                                > you are a real amateurastronomer , going out at such cold weather
                                                all night to do imaging, remembers me on my beginning time, where I
                                                did not have had a backyard and moved also tons of stuff to a nice
                                                dark area.

                                                > Now with the backyard , i just got to lazy to transport everything
                                                to darker places :-(

                                                > enjoy your new backyard

                                              • Robert Anderson
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 8, 2005
                                                  Actually Eric, the TMB 175 was a lot easier to fit in than the C14
                                                  prior.

                                                  With the back seats down, everything fit in but it did weigh the car
                                                  down. Only got stuck in the snow once and the wife had to drive the
                                                  jeep up and pull me out, (thank heavens for cel phones).

                                                  I agree fully with you about Shahin. The comparison between him and
                                                  Thomas is right on. Two very professional people.

                                                  Shahin needs a Markus Ludes helping him trhough to handle the
                                                  sometimes very late-producing machinists he works with.

                                                  Your going to love your rig.

                                                  Post some pics once you get everything up and running.

                                                  Cheers

                                                  Bob

                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Hi, Robert:
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks for the good word on the PWT Monolith. I am eagerly looking
                                                  forward
                                                  > to getting it, perhaps just in time for Christmas. The man behind
                                                  Particle
                                                  > Wave Technologies, Shahin Zarehparvar, is the Thomas Back of the
                                                  pier tripod
                                                  > world: a hard-working perfectionist who strives to make the very
                                                  best
                                                  > product imaginable. Like Thomas, Shahin works late into the night
                                                  to get his
                                                  > products to customers. This past weekend, for instance, he was
                                                  planning on
                                                  > machining the full index adapter plates for my pier and others on
                                                  order,
                                                  > since the shop with which he contracts to do his machining wasn't
                                                  going to
                                                  > get them done in time! He is a delightful person to deal
                                                  > with--knowledgeable, soft-spoken, and clearly passionate about his
                                                  products
                                                  > and amateur astronomy.
                                                  >
                                                  > For my TMB 175, I have ordered a 48" high Monolith and an auxiliary
                                                  5" high
                                                  > pier extension to bring the total pier height to 53". Once I get
                                                  it, I will
                                                  > have to rehearse the "Povlick Maneuver" to safely manhandle the
                                                  scope into
                                                  > the tube rings. I'll probably need a short step ladder or one-step
                                                  platform
                                                  > to hoist it up into the saddle.
                                                  >
                                                  > The photo of your imaging rig chills me to the bone each time I see
                                                  it! You
                                                  > mean to tell me that you squeeze all that stuff into your Audi A6?
                                                  > Incredible!
                                                  >
                                                  > Best regards,
                                                  >
                                                  > Eric Baumgartner
                                                  > Redding, CT USA
                                                  >

                                                  > On 12/06/05 11:17 PM, "Robert Anderson" <bob@t...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Hi Eric
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Your going to love the PWT Monolith. My twin had his AP1200 on his
                                                  > > and I had the Paramount ME on mine. My Monolith was 42" high which
                                                  > > was perfect for the TMB 175.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Here's a shot of me out last winter with it
                                                  > >
                                                  > > <http://tpo.ca/Late_Winter_Imaging_Run.htm>
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I've have everything now in the dome but kind of miss getting out
                                                  > > the dark sites with the rig.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > All the best and clear skies!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Cheers
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Bob
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Eric Baumgartner
                                                  <malkasten@s...>

                                                  > >> and
                                                  > >> some
                                                  > >> some
                                                  Englanders a thing
                                                  > >> or

                                                  PWT Monolith
                                                  > >> pier
                                                  > >> graduate

                                                  > >> observing

                                                  Canadian Beer......)

                                                • stardoctor5
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 1, 2006
                                                    Dear Eric,
                                                    I think we met at CSP, hanging out next to ?Jim? and his TMB 175. I
                                                    will be getting a new AP900GTO in about 3 months, which will be pier
                                                    mounted in my new observatory. I have been imaging with a TEC140,
                                                    but am ready for something larger. Do you think the AP900 will be
                                                    stable enough to image with the TMB 175? I would have prefered the
                                                    TMB 180 f7, but costs are too high.
                                                    Ruben
                                                    http://www.stardoctor.org/TEC140

                                                    wrote:

                                                    > Hi, David:
                                                    >
                                                    > While Fairfield County isn't exactly on the direct track between
                                                    Toronto and
                                                    > Cape Cod, we would surely welcome you to join up with us. I hope
                                                    to take
                                                    > some time off from work between the holidays, so I would certainly
                                                    be up for
                                                    > some winter observing. Perhaps you could teach us wimpy New
                                                    Englanders a
                                                    > thing or two about cold-weather observing!
                                                    >
                                                    > If all goes well, I should be getting my AP900GTO mount and PWT
                                                    Monolith
                                                    > pier sometime this month, so my new TMB 175/1400 might be finally
                                                    ready to
                                                    > graduate from serving as a very long coffee table to an
                                                    astronomical
                                                    > instrument just around the time you drive through Connecticut.
                                                    >
                                                    > Fellow TMB'er Mark Holden has set up a Yahoo Group to coordinate
                                                    our
                                                    > observing sessions. Check out <DarkSkyCT@yahoogroups.com>.
                                                    >
                                                    > Regards,
                                                    >
                                                    > Eric Baumgartner
                                                    > Redding, CT USA

                                                  • Mark
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "stardoctor5" <stardoctor5@y...> wrote:

                                                      > Dear Eric,
                                                      > I think we met at CSP, hanging out next to ?Jim? and his TMB 175. I
                                                      > will be getting a new AP900GTO in about 3 months, which will be pier
                                                      > mounted in my new observatory. I have been imaging with a TEC140,
                                                      > but am ready for something larger. Do you think the AP900 will be
                                                      > stable enough to image with the TMB 175? I would have prefered the
                                                      > TMB 180 f7, but costs are too high.
                                                      > Ruben
                                                      > http://www.stardoctor.org/TEC140

                                                      Hi Ruben

                                                      I've used a Nikon D70 on Jim's 175/AP900 setup, and it worked fine for
                                                      exposures of up to about 3 minutes without guiding. I'm sure we could
                                                      go longer if we drift aligned.

                                                      I haven't tried it since he added an 80mm SV apo as a finder, but one
                                                      of the other folks we observe with (Elliot who is 14) has and it still
                                                      worked well.

                                                      Taking time to balance things carefully is much more important with
                                                      the oversize finder.

                                                      I'm sure my St2k would work well on it too - but we haven't tried it
                                                      yet - perhaps after Jim gets the pier for his 9" we'll be able to
                                                      dedicate an hour or two of time on the 175 for imaging.

                                                      Regards,

                                                      Mark