first light :) on TMB SuperMono

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2003
      everybody ready and sitting in the chair ?:)

      Clear dark blue here at my location, warm 60° Farenheit evening and rather good seeing, not perfect, but good for medium power. Started in evening with getting dark till now where its real dark

      This evening I have outside a TMB 100/800, TMB 115F/7, TMB 105/650 and Tele Vue NP 101 on tracking mounts

      I have no Zeiss Ortho 6 mm and no Pentax 6 mm Ortho here to compare, sorry, so I have to compare against what I have, which is 6 mm Kasai/Japan ortho, Takahashi Ortho 7 mm, NIKON 7 mm Ortho and Zeiss 1.25" ED Barlowlens

      Jupiter was observed last 30 minutes, all 4 moons are nicely far away, good point to check the Field correction.

      NIKON Ortho and TMB SuperMono are equal good fieldcorrected, both show round sharp Jupiter to the edge with Pinpoint airydiscs to the edge

      size of corrected field is for all 4 eyepieces rather equal large, but only the TMB SuperMono show till the outer edge perfect round images. At the fieldposition Jupiter is already so destroyed in the other eyepiece that it cannot be focused sharp again, in the TMB SuperMono Jupiter needs at his edge a slightly refocusing and is sharp again like in the center. Seems to me fieldcurvative, where the others show clearly astigmatism.

      In late evening when it started to get dark, the dark blue sky was in TMB black , in others slightly brighter.

      Moons of Jupiter show at high power airydisc with 4inch scope with 1 ultrafaint diffraction ring

      The TMB show the most stable image , where you try to find the very best focuse in the other eyepieces after you exchanged them , what I mean I focuse the TMB and it snaps in like non of the others. The others also show very sharp image, just not with the same last kick as the TMB

      due intensive looking I get for seconds in the others a quick coming ghosting reflection, not so in the TMB

      The fieldstop is missing in the TMB, but for my surprise it does no bother me, opposite is the case , looking through the others with sharp edge is nice, but looking through the TMB its like looking through a round window where you eyes focusing the infinity object and the edge of the window is unsharp and give you the impression, there is no limit

      Now something new to me, because I never took much time to use the zeiss Monocentrics I sold used or such intensive as on this comparation. Looking into the more narrov field of the Mono its fun, because your eye is completly fixed to the center object and does not walk around in the field as it do in the 3 others with large field. So my fixed eye does a higher concentration on the center object as in the others. I don't know how to describe, but I try to forbit my eyes walking around in the field, but they do not listen me , in the TMB the eyes have no chance to walk around in the field, because the view show all field at once

      purity: The TMB is non to second against the others , I wished I would have the 6 mm Pentax SMC Ortho here, which is from my experience even better than the Zeiss Abbe ortho 6 mm, but I think Tom can compare them

      Details: Its maybe my head wish , its maybe my subjectivy in favour of the TMB , but I sweer I see clearly more details in the belts and spots on Jupiter than with the others.

      color at the edge: TMB non, NIKON very very small, Kasai and Takashi equal showing a bit

      Using the Zeiss ED Barlow for the higher, does nothing change on above results

      In comparation against the here used eyepieces, the TMB comes clearly visible out as the winner, even with his smaller field, it have the widest fieldcorrection

      I think much more I cannot do here and now , I would need to bring out a big TMB, but today its to late and next days the weather forecast speaks about clouds. If i get a chance before the eyepiece going on thuesday to Tom, I will try another test, it not ,. I wait ver ymuch what Tom says

      best wishes

    • ronbee77
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17, 2003
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Markus Ludes"
        <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
        > Details: Its maybe my head wish , its maybe my subjectivy in favour
        of the TMB , but I sweer I see clearly more details in the belts and
        spots on Jupiter than with the others.

        > color at the edge: TMB non, NIKON very very small, Kasai and
        Takashi equal showing a bit

        > Using the Zeiss ED Barlow for the higher, does nothing change on
        above results

        > In comparation against the here used eyepieces, the TMB comes
        clearly visible out as the winner, even with his smaller field, it
        have the widest fieldcorrection

        > I think much more I cannot do here and now , I would need to bring
        out a big TMB, but today its to late and next days the weather
        forecast speaks about clouds. If i get a chance before the eyepiece
        going on thuesday to Tom, I will try another test, it not ,. I wait
        ver ymuch what Tom says

        > best wishes
        > Markus

        Very nice report, Markus and thanks for writing it up.

        I have a question. When you say "clearly more details" in the belts
        and spots, what do you mean? Did you compare it with the other 6mm
        (because 7mm will yield small image size)? If so (i.e. 6mm vs 6mm),
        do mean there were details that you could see in the TMB Supermono
        and could not see in the ortho? Or did you mean the details were
        there in both but sharper, crisper, clearer in the TMB?

        One favor I may ask of you if I maybe so bold ;-). Would it be
        possible to compare it with a 6mm TV Radian (since you don't have
        the other 6mm) the next time you're out under hopefully a clear
        sky?

        Thanks for some clarification.

        Ron B[ee]
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 17, 2003

          Very nice report, Markus and thanks for writing it up.

          I have a question. When you say "clearly more details" in the belts
          and spots, what do you mean? Did you compare it with the other 6mm
          (because 7mm will yield small image size)? If so (i.e. 6mm vs 6mm),
          do mean there were details that you could see in the TMB Supermono
          and could not see in the ortho?

          Or did you mean the details were
          there in both but sharper, crisper, clearer in the TMB?

          yes the 6 mm show not only clearer , sharper and crisper image, but also I could pick out more details, in 4" scopes, they are small for many observers, but if you have critical eyes and you like the planets like me, than the diffrence is big for such a observer

          One favor I may ask of you if I maybe so bold ;-). Would it be
          possible to compare it with a 6mm TV Radian (since you don't have
          the other 6mm) the next time you're out under hopefully a clear
          sky?

          okay i wil do it right away, I brought the radian now out to give it a bit time to cool down , than i will see, I wil also use a new Nagler 5 mm, which gives even higher power to see the diffrence.

          wait a few minutes please

          markus

          Thanks for some clarification.

          Ron B[ee]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 17, 2003
            done, the Radian and Nagler are nice , but cannot really compared against the orthos or mono, sorry. Both the Radian and Nagler show me to much lateral color even in center when my head move only very little

            best wishes

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17, 2003
              <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
              > done, the Radian and Nagler are nice , but cannot really compared
              against the orthos or mono, sorry. Both the Radian and Nagler show me
              to much lateral color even in center when my head move only very
              little

              > best wishes
              >
              > Markus

              Thanks Markus; your test is very much appreciated.

              Ron B[ee]
            • Michael Stephan
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 17, 2003
                It would be interesting to compare it to the new HD University Optics
                Ortho which apparently has had the coatings enhanced.

                Michael D. Stephan
                Potawatomi Wildlife Park
                Indiana's First Dark-Sky Preserve
                www.getintonature.com

[...]

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
                  no problem, in about 10 days i will have 2 sets in my hands