RE: [tmboptical] Clear anodized Feather Touch focuser

  • Michael Downing
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi Paul,
      you got two...
      I would be interested in the FTF for my 152

      Michael
      astroden

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "pwanthal" <pwanthal@a...> wrote:
        > Greetings all,
        > I spoke with Werner (Detlef) at Starlight Instruments today with the
        > intention of purchasing a Feather Touch for my TMB 152. During the
        > course of our conversation, I asked if he could provide the Feather
        > Touch and adapter for the 4" focuser in a clear anodized finish to

        I am not sure the finish is a clear anodized. I know 'my' machine
        shop has said they could only find one outfit in So. CA that could
        match the color of the anodizing. They in fact kept a 'coupon' so
        they could match the color for future projects.

        > compliment the hardware on the CNC tube. He said that he could,
        > provided he had a minimum of five orders to facilitate the logistics
        > of the non-standard finish. The price adder is around $30 and lead
        > time would probably be something like 3 months. Is anyone in the
        > group interested in a color matched Feather Touch and adapter for
        > your 'scope? If so, please let me know and/or contact Starlight
        > Instruments directly. I assume that he would require at least a down
        > payment from the five individuals before going ahead with the
        > project. If there is no interest, well, I'll just have to be happy
        > with the black anodized focuser :)

        This is a neat idea and I am tempted to sell my black FT (refractor
        model) on the used market and go with this upgrade. Would a used FT
        in mint condition sell easily?

        > Clear Skies,
        > Paul Wanthal
        > Bartlett, IL

        Tim Povlick
        San Diego, CA
      • John Erickson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
          Tim,

          I've been thinking about getting a Feather Touch for my 152. What would
          the cost be for the FT you described?

          John Erickson

          > I spoke with Werner (Detlef) at Starlight Instruments today with the
          > intention of purchasing a Feather Touch for my TMB 152. During the
          > course of our conversation, I asked if he could provide the Feather
          > Touch and adapter for the 4" focuser in a clear anodized finish to

          I am not sure the finish is a clear anodized. I know 'my' machine
          shop has said they could only find one outfit in So. CA that could
          match the color of the anodizing. They in fact kept a 'coupon' so
          they could match the color for future projects.

          > compliment the hardware on the CNC tube. He said that he could,
          > provided he had a minimum of five orders to facilitate the logistics
          > of the non-standard finish. The price adder is around $30 and lead
          > time would probably be something like 3 months. Is anyone in the
          > group interested in a color matched Feather Touch and adapter for
          > your 'scope? If so, please let me know and/or contact Starlight
          > Instruments directly. I assume that he would require at least a down
          > payment from the five individuals before going ahead with the
          > project. If there is no interest, well, I'll just have to be happy
          > with the black anodized focuser :)

          This is a neat idea and I am tempted to sell my black FT (refractor
          model) on the used market and go with this upgrade. Would a used FT
          in mint condition sell easily?

          > Clear Skies,
          > Paul Wanthal
          > Bartlett, IL

          Tim Povlick
          San Diego, CA

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "John Erickson" <jerickson@w...
            > wrote:
            > Tim,
            >
            > I've been thinking about getting a Feather Touch for my 152. What
            > would the cost be for the FT you described?
            >
            > John Erickson

            I'll send you a private email and take this off list John. If the
            email doesn't work, you can send me an email.

            Tim
          • pwanthal
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
              Tim, I'm not sure how closely they can match the color, but Werner
              said that he has samples of the focuser extension and/or adapter;
              I'll check with him to see how close he thinks he can get it. - Paul

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "pwanthal" <pwanthal@a...> wrote:
                > Tim, I'm not sure how closely they can match the color, but Werner
                > said that he has samples of the focuser extension and/or adapter;
                > I'll check with him to see how close he thinks he can get it. - Paul

                Sounds good Paul. I sent and email to my machine shop guy to make
                sure my memory is correct. There is a place out here that can match
                it exactly.

                Tim
                So.Cal.
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6, 2003
                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@s...> wrote:
                  > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "pwanthal" <pwanthal@a...> wrote:
                  > > Tim, I'm not sure how closely they can match the color, but
                  > Werner
                  > > said that he has samples of the focuser extension and/or adapter;
                  > > I'll check with him to see how close he thinks he can get it. -
                  > Paul
                  > > >

                  > Sounds good Paul. I sent and email to my machine shop guy to make
                  > sure my memory is correct. There is a place out here that can match
                  > it exactly.

                  Okay, the machine shop told me he thought the color was darker than a
                  clear anodize but the anodize shop (based in Hollywood, CA) said no
                  it's a clear anodize.

                  I mentioned a while back a pet project which is now almost ready to
                  test the proto-type. It's a replacement for the 'gear box' on the TMB
                  focuser. It consists of new concentric knobs on each side (2 per side
                  , 4 total). One on each side is the course adjustment (that's 2
                  knobs), one of the inner knobs is the fine focus (3'rd knob). The
                  fourth knob is for drag / brake. Ross (the designer) said he designed
                  the brake so that it doesn't cause one to have any image shift. I
                  haven't seen it yet but Ross said it looks real nice and he hasn't let
                  me down in that regard. Currently it's for the 4" focuser but if this
                  works out and there is enough interest a 3" version will be made.

                  Tim
                • m51john
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6, 2003
                    The anodize on the TMB cnc tubes looks like hard anodize to me.
                    Clear anodize has a lot lighter look. Look at the top of a silver
                    soda or beer can, this is what clear anodize looks like.

                    John Kuhl

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 6, 2003
                      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "m51john" <2kuhl@s...> wrote:
                      > The anodize on the TMB cnc tubes looks like hard anodize to me.
                      > Clear anodize has a lot lighter look. Look at the top of a silver
                      > soda or beer can, this is what clear anodize looks like.

                      Maybe Markus can enlighten us? Earth to Markus, pick up the
                      intergalatic phone :-)

                      Tim

                      > John Kuhl
                      >

                      > -- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@s...> wrote:
                      > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@s...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "pwanthal" <pwanthal@a...>
                      > > > Werner
                      > adapter;
                      >
                      > > > Paul
                      > > > > >

                      > > > Sounds good Paul. I sent and email to my machine shop guy to make
                      > > > sure my memory is correct. There is a place out here that can
                      > match
                      > > > it exactly.
                      > > >

                      > > Okay, the machine shop told me he thought the color was darker than
                      > > clear anodize but the anodize shop (based in Hollywood, CA) said no
                      > > it's a clear anodize.
                      > >

                      > > I mentioned a while back a pet project which is now almost ready to
                      > > test the proto-type. It's a replacement for the 'gear box' on the
                      > TMB
                      > > focuser. It consists of new concentric knobs on each side (2 per
                      > side
                      > > , 4 total). One on each side is the course adjustment (that's 2
                      > > knobs), one of the inner knobs is the fine focus (3'rd knob). The
                      > > fourth knob is for drag / brake. Ross (the designer) said he
                      > designed
                      > > the brake so that it doesn't cause one to have any image shift. I
                      > > haven't seen it yet but Ross said it looks real nice and he hasn't
                      > let
                      > > me down in that regard. Currently it's for the 4" focuser but if
                      > this
                      > > works out and there is enough interest a 3" version will be made.
                      > >

                      > > Tim
                    • Mike C
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 7, 2003
                        > The anodize on the TMB cnc tubes looks like hard anodize to me.
                        > Clear anodize has a lot lighter look. Look at the top of a silver
                        > soda or beer can, this is what clear anodize looks like.
                        >
                        > John Kuhl

                        I dont think the TMB parts are hard anodized.

                        Are you sure aluminum cans are clear anodized? Here is what I've found about them. It's extensive:

                        Mike C

                        ----------from some web page---------

                        Aluminum coil stock is the major raw material used to manufacture aluminum beverage Cans.

                        The aluminum coils are placed onto spools feeding the cupper machines. As the coils are unwound, they pass through a lubricator.
                        Lubricating the aluminum protects the dies in the cupper machines. The aluminum is hydraulically pushed into the cup dies to
                        produce cups. The cups are then led into extruders where a ram pushes the cups through dies to form can bodies.

                        After the cans leave the extruders, they are trimmed to the proper depth. A pneumatic conveyor system then moves the cans from the
                        extruders through automated spray-washing machines.
                        The can washing process consists of a pre-wash, a wash, a rinse, a treatment stage, a city-water rinse, and a deionized water
                        rinse. Incoming city water enters the process at the city water rinse stage and flows in a countercurrent direction through the
                        rinse and pre-wash stages. Spent rinse water flows to the on-site wastewater treatment facility, which will be discussed below.

                        Proprietary reagents containing sulfuric acid and hydrofluoric acid are added to water in the wash stage to clean the inner
                        surfaces of the cans. A proprietary reagent that contains nitric acid, hydrofluoric acid, and ammonium fluozirconate is added to
                        water in the treatment stage to provide smooth inner can surfaces.
                        The final, closed-loop rinse of deionized water removes mineral residues left by the city water. After the rinse, the contaminated
                        water is pumped through activated carbon adsorption filters and an ion exchange unit. The anion and cation exchange resins are
                        regenerated about every 1-1/2 months using hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide. Effluent from resin regeneration is neutralized
                        separately from the remainder of the wastewater and discharged to the sewer. The carbon filters are backwashed when the pressure
                        drop across the filters reaches about 6 psi. The backwash is neutralized with the resin regeneration effluent and discharged to
                        the sewer.

                        The cans are dried in gas-fired drying ovens at a temperature of 106 degrees F. A base coat of paint is then applied to the
                        outside of the cans and is dried in a gas-fired oven. Next, the customer's insignia is printed on the outside of the cans with
                        ink; the cans are dried again after printing. A final coat of clear lacquer is applied to the outer can surface. The inside
                        surfaces of the cans are painted with a water-based vinyl coating. A final 30 sec drying stage at 385 degrees F serves as a final
                        cure for all coats of paint.

                        Liquid hazardous wastes are generated from the painting and inking operations in the form of excess paint and ink cleaned from
                        machinery. Most of the paint wastes are from the water- based paint used to coat the inner can surfaces. Although the paints and
                        inks are water-based, they contain ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, n-butyl alcohol, dimethylethanolamine, and 2-butoxyethanol;
                        the paint wastes are considered hazardous and are shipped to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

                        A flanging process is used to provide the cans with a necked top.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 7, 2003
                          the CNC silver aluparts on the TMB Tubes are first CNC Maschined, than sandpolished, than hard anadized

                          best wishes

> [...]

                          ink; the cans are dried again after printing. A final coat of clear lacquer is applied to the outer can surface. The inside
                          surfaces of the cans are painted with a water-based vinyl coating. A final 30 sec drying stage at 385 degrees F serves as a final
                          cure for all coats of paint.

                          Liquid hazardous wastes are generated from the painting and inking operations in the form of excess paint and ink cleaned from
                          machinery. Most of the paint wastes are from the water- based paint used to coat the inner can surfaces. Although the paints and
                          inks are water-based, they contain ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, n-butyl alcohol, dimethylethanolamine, and 2-butoxyethanol;
                          the paint wastes are considered hazardous and are shipped to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

                          A flanging process is used to provide the cans with a necked top.

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Mike C
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 7, 2003
                            > the CNC silver aluparts on the TMB Tubes are first CNC Maschined, than sandpolished, than hard anadized
                            >
                            > best wishes
                            >
                            > Markus

                            > I dont think the TMB parts are hard anodized.
                            >
                            > Mike C

                            OK then! I stand corrected.

                            Mike
                          • m51john
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 7, 2003
                              Mike,

                              I was using the cans as a sample of what clear anodize looks like.
                              I don't know how they are finished.

                              John Kuhl

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 7, 2003
                                Thanks for the information, Markus. I sent an e-mail to Detlef last
                                Friday regarding the level of interest at that time among members of
                                the group. I have not yet received a reply from him, but from the
                                looks of it, there may be a critical mass of individuals (we need
                                five total) to make this happen. I will contact him by phone tomorrow
                                to ask about the possibility of hard anodizing, if necessary, to get
                                a color match.
                                Anyway, if there are four others prepared to purchase the color-
                                matched FT, it's a go, 'cause I'm ready.

                                Clear Skies, (wishful thinking in Northern Illinois)
                                Paul Wanthal

                                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Markus Ludes"