Re: [tmboptical] Re: Is there any mechanical engineer on this group ?

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi Paul, sorry for the long delay of my reply.

      Thomas Back and me want to start offering some high end accessories.
      Step 1 shall be a highest quality 2" Stardiagonal, with quarzmirror and 99% reflection scratch free coating.

      for this unit we would need a first drawing

      thanks

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        > Step 1 shall be a highest quality 2" Stardiagonal, with quarzmirror and 99% reflection scratch free coating.
        >
        > for this unit we would need a first drawing
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > Markus

        Just throwing out ideas..

        While Astro-Physics and the Baader diagonals are fancy in their CNC
        milled housings, the big Taki diagonal is pretty sweet as well with its
        simpler lines. Certainly an easier form factor to emulate...

        http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=2343&m=35

        Mike C
      • Adrian Catterall
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
          Can someone tell me what is seen visually if there is problems with lens
          coatings? It is nothing to do with my 7 inch TMB, but I thought I would
          ask this knowledgeable group...

          Adrian
          --
          Adrian Catterall
          Morden Observatory
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
            > > Step 1 shall be a highest quality 2" Stardiagonal, with quarzmirror and 99% reflection scratch free coating.
            > >
            > > for this unit we would need a first drawing
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > Markus

            The modularity of the Baader Prism diagonal would be nice to emulate also.

            By making the 2" slip port and the 2" nose removable from the diagonal body,
            the TMB diagonal could be extended/contracted/adapted etc.

            Mike Clemens
          • Donald Rosenfield
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
              Hi Markus,

              That 99% reflectivity? Is that the kind you get when you don't use a deposited metal but just dielectric coatings? The fellow who coats my 10" mirror said he had tested some of those and found that there were about 40 layers of coating, some of which were tensioned differently from others. The effect was to louse up the figure of the mirror. His advice to the owners of those mirrors was to go back to the last couple of stages of fine grinding to get rid of the expensive coating!

              Unloused-up accurate surfaces,
              Donald

              Markus, I am a mechanical engineer with experience in 2 and 3D
              modeling, and have a small shop in which I can do prototype work. Let
              me know if you need any assistance.

              Clear Skies,
              Paul Wanthal

              We are interested to produce some accessories for our TMB line. We
              > know many manufactors and we have our own ideas what we want and
              how
              > it shall be made , but not Tom and not me are mechanical designers
              > who can do nice CAD drawings and thats what our manufactors require
              >
              > can anybody help us by designing such products ?
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > Markus

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • wjburg
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
                The most likely things to be noticed would be spots on the lens that
                are mold. It looks like a mold in a petre dish in science class.
                The other thing that can sometimes be considered a problem is a
                DRASTIC change in the reflected color of the coating. Basically if
                most of the coating is a single shade, and one spot is a different
                color completely, there may be a problem. With today's hard
                coatings, it takes a lot of careless effort to really damage a
                coating to this degree. In the past, the between element coatings
                were often soft, just trying to gently clean a surface with normal
                rubbing would affect the coating if not remove it. That is why it is
                best to leave internal problems to the pros.

                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Catterall <Catterall@o...>
                wrote:
                > Can someone tell me what is seen visually if there is problems with
                lens
                > coatings? It is nothing to do with my 7 inch TMB, but I thought I
                would
                > ask this knowledgeable group...
                >
                > Adrian
                > --
                > Adrian Catterall
                > Morden Observatory
                > Guilden Morden
                > Herts
                > UK
                > http://www.observatory.demon.co.uk
              • David
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@e...> wrote:

                  > The modularity of the Baader Prism diagonal would be nice to
                  emulate also.

                  > By making the 2" slip port and the 2" nose removable from the
                  diagonal body,
                  > the TMB diagonal could be extended/contracted/adapted etc.
                  >
                  > Mike Clemens

                  Funny, I emailed exactly this suggestion of modular system diagonal
                  to Markus. So it is at least two of us, Mike.

                  David
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                    I have that Tak. diagonal in stock, it looks a bit ugly and have an undersizest to small mirror build in.

                    I have contact to a new finemechanical engineer with CNC shop, he will visit me soon, I will discuss with him some ideas to see whats possible for not to high price

                    best wishes

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                      Hi Donald, as Roland Christen confirmed with the coaters too, such coating will slightly bend the diagonal at his edge, but the edge you will use in the eyepiece only with very low power, so you will not see any negative result. High power eyepieces have small fieldstop and will use only center part of the diagoinals which is absolutly perfect, even in such coatings.

                      the excist a method to prevent even such edge bend, but thats a horrible expensive method, it is using a compensation coating on the rear side of the mirror to make it flat again, this is absolutly useless for our purposes and makes no sense to spend extra money for it

                      best wishes

                      That 99% reflectivity? Is that the kind you get when you don't use a deposited metal but just dielectric coatings? The fellow who coats my 10" mirror said he had tested some of those and found that there were about 40 layers of coating, some of which were tensioned differently from others. The effect was to louse up the figure of the mirror. His advice to the owners of those mirrors was to go back to the last couple of stages of fine grinding to get rid of the expensive coating!

                      Unloused-up accurate surfaces,
                      Donald

                      Markus, I am a mechanical engineer with experience in 2 and 3D
                      modeling, and have a small shop in which I can do prototype work. Let
                      me know if you need any assistance.

                      Clear Skies,
                      Paul Wanthal

                      We are interested to produce some accessories for our TMB line. We
                      > know many manufactors and we have our own ideas what we want and
                      how
                      > it shall be made , but not Tom and not me are mechanical designers
                      > who can do nice CAD drawings and thats what our manufactors require
                      >
                      > can anybody help us by designing such products ?
                      >
                      > thanks
                      >
                      > Markus

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Adrian Catterall
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                        Thanks for the information. I am seeing an area that looks film residue
                        near the center. I wanted to check first before I did another clean, but
                        it could be that is all it needs...

                        Adrian

                        In message <B6d5c5+a6mk@...>, Wjburg <wjburg@...> writes