Question regards color of 80 mm TMB

  • apmtelescopes
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
      Hi Everybody

      as you know the first samples of 80 mm TMB tubes have been completly
      black anadized. This black was beatuty , but high shining like the
      feather touch focuser and after taking the black tube into your hand,
      you have to fight with quick visible fingerprints.

      due this matter we changed the dewcap and maint tube part into a
      white poweder paint, which looks on the real sample in my opinion and
      my employes opnion better than completly black.

      But now where I posted the picture of the new tube, I received many
      emails asking for the black tube again.

      We shall make a decision now.

      shall we make the tube completly black as before , or shall we make
      it black and white as now.

      Before you make your final decision, I will to think the following:

      A, a anadized tube which get a sratch due uncarefull handling can be
      repaired only if it will be new anadized
      the white tube , can be in most cases colorrepolished, which is easier

      B, we saw alreadyx on the black tubes, which contains from quite a
      few parts, that the black anadizing of each part is never 100% same
      black as on other part. Critical customers maybe claim that as an
      deffect. On the poweder painting such problem will not excist

      another possibility is that we make the serial production black and
      white and on request a few samples completly black, we are flexciable
      as you know

      thanks for your final decision

      Markus
    • Mike C
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
        I think white paint with black anodized hardware is the cats meow.
        I'm not wild about the big dewshield in the picture from earlier.

        The all black anodized tubes look nice, but nothing beats a high
        quality white paint job with highly polished black anodized hardware.

        Mike C
      • Randy Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
          I like the latest picture with the white tube and black
          focuser/hardware. It makes a nice contrast and it's easier to touch
          up the powdercoat than reanodizing (as you pointed out). I agree with
          Ruud: The dewshield could be downsized.

          Randy

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "apmtelescopes"
          <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
          > Hi Everybody
          >
          > as you know the first samples of 80 mm TMB tubes have been
          completly
          > black anadized. This black was beatuty , but high shining like the
          > feather touch focuser and after taking the black tube into your
          hand,
          > you have to fight with quick visible fingerprints.
          >
          > due this matter we changed the dewcap and maint tube part into a
          > white poweder paint, which looks on the real sample in my opinion
          and
          > my employes opnion better than completly black.
          >
          > But now where I posted the picture of the new tube, I received many
          > emails asking for the black tube again.
          >
          > We shall make a decision now.
          >
          > shall we make the tube completly black as before , or shall we make
          > it black and white as now.
          >
          > Before you make your final decision, I will to think the following:
          >
          > A, a anadized tube which get a sratch due uncarefull handling can
          be
          > repaired only if it will be new anadized
          > the white tube , can be in most cases colorrepolished, which is
          easier

          > B, we saw alreadyx on the black tubes, which contains from quite a
          > few parts, that the black anadizing of each part is never 100% same
          > black as on other part. Critical customers maybe claim that as an
          > deffect. On the poweder painting such problem will not excist
          >
          > another possibility is that we make the serial production black and
          > white and on request a few samples completly black, we are
          flexciable
          > as you know
          >
          > thanks for your final decision
          >
          > Markus
        • Norman L. Rubenstein
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
            Gee, Markus, (and Mike), I'm actually partial to Zebra stripes myself :-)

            Best regards,

            Norm
            Norman L. Rubenstein
            nlr@...

            On 3/28/03 1:55 AM, "Mike C" <mike@...> wrote:

            > I think white paint with black anodized hardware is the cats meow.
            > I'm not wild about the big dewshield in the picture from earlier.
            >
            > The all black anodized tubes look nice, but nothing beats a high
            > quality white paint job with highly polished black anodized hardware.
            >
            > Mike C
          • Ruud Schmeitz
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Johnson"
              <illuminetics@y...> wrote:
              > I like the latest picture with the white tube and black
              > focuser/hardware. It makes a nice contrast and it's easier to touch
              > up the powdercoat than reanodizing (as you pointed out). I agree
              > with Ruud: The dewshield could be downsized.
              >
              > Randy

              I wholeheartedly agree with Randy !
              :-)

              Seriously, I've seen the black 80/480 at the ATT last year, and I
              did not like it (see message 4251).
              So the new version with the white tube and the (announced) smaller
              white dewshield is most welcome.

              Ruud Schmeitz
              Universiteit Maastricht
            • izar21093
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
                Hi Markus,

                I have both black (Synta/Celestron) and white (TMB)tubed refractors.
                I like the black tubes, but, IMHO, the white tubes look like "real"
                telescopes and are much more forgiving of "normal-use" scratches etc.

                If the scope is to be USED rather than preserved for posterity, then
                the white tube may be a better choice, IMHO.

                Bill G
                *****

                <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
                > Hi Everybody
                >
                > as you know the first samples of 80 mm TMB tubes have been
                completly
                > black anadized. This black was beatuty , but high shining like the
                > feather touch focuser and after taking the black tube into your
                hand,
                > you have to fight with quick visible fingerprints.
                >
                > due this matter we changed the dewcap and maint tube part into a
                > white poweder paint, which looks on the real sample in my opinion
                and
                > my employes opnion better than completly black.
                >
                > But now where I posted the picture of the new tube, I received many
                > emails asking for the black tube again.
                >
                > We shall make a decision now.
                >
                > shall we make the tube completly black as before , or shall we make
                > it black and white as now.
                >
                > Before you make your final decision, I will to think the following:
                >
                > A, a anadized tube which get a sratch due uncarefull handling can
                be
                > repaired only if it will be new anadized
                > the white tube , can be in most cases colorrepolished, which is
                easier

                > B, we saw alreadyx on the black tubes, which contains from quite a
                > few parts, that the black anadizing of each part is never 100% same
                > black as on other part. Critical customers maybe claim that as an
                > deffect. On the poweder painting such problem will not excist
                >
                > another possibility is that we make the serial production black and
                > white and on request a few samples completly black, we are
                flexciable
                > as you know
                >
                > thanks for your final decision
                >
                > Markus
              • Philip Salimbene
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Hi all,

                  I agree with Mike.

                  My vote would be for a white tube with black anodized hardware.

                  Phil Salimbene
                  I think white paint with black anodized hardware is the cats meow.
                  I'm not wild about the big dewshield in the picture from earlier.

                  The all black anodized tubes look nice, but nothing beats a high
                  quality white paint job with highly polished black anodized hardware.

                  Mike C

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor