Tripod dillema

  • Buddy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2001
      Hi Thomas ,Julie & everyone else
      I have a TMB105 F/6
      I have been using a GR2(APM) on a Baader/AP wooden Tripod. I want to put my
      AP 130EDF Back on that tripod
      ' Id like to mount the TMB on the GR2 with the Sanford -Davis(aluminum) from
      AP . My question is this ,,, will it handle the weight, & stay pretty steady
      for visual use only
      I'm open for suggestion,, I can build my own tripod ,, but time doesn't
      allow it at this point
      Thanks in Advance
    • Larry Geary
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
        Buddy,

        Here's a data point toward your decision. If I'm not mistaken, that Davis & Sanford tripod is the Model "A", which D&S rates for a 50 pound load. I've seen it in AP ads carrying the Traveler and AP400 mount. I use the Model "A" with my Questar (a 10 pound photographic load), and find it much more stable (though lighter) than my Bogen 3035, which I believe is rated at around 26 pounds. And I've seen Dave Novoselsky use the Giro and the TMB 100/800 on the Bogen 3035. So I think the answer is "yes". My concern is that the tripod would be a bit low without extending the center column significantly, in which case you do lose some stability. Could you just try it out?

        --Larry

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
          I misunderstood you. I thought you already had the D&S tripod. Well, if you live in NYC, you can pick up a good tripod quickly.

          Just for fun, pay a visit to Olden Photo on 6th and 33rd. In their used department, they have some old tripods that must have been used for cinema cameras. They are short, *massive*, with large platforms and fine alt-az adjustments. Name is "Hercules". Just the thing for my 3.5" Questar ;-)

          --Larry

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
            The Bogen I use is the 3036, which will hold the Giro and the scope
            just fine. I have had more weight than the rated weight on it, and
            it did well. If you want a heavier (18pound) but still easy to fold
            and carry tripod, Bogen's 3058 carries 44 pounds like a rock! B&H
            Audio Visual in NYC had them in stock the last time I checked.
            Reliable and honest people to deal with, unlike some of the other
            NY "camera" stores. They have a list of what is in stock on the
            website and ship the same day. If they 3036 is too light (and I am
            not sure if it is) the 3058 (check to see if that is the right #, but
            there is only one with a 44 pound capacity) should do it. Good
            Luck. Dave Novoselsky

            Service.
          • dnovo@ix.netcom.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
              Tripod height is not that much of a problem for me since I normally
              observe from a Starbound chair -- bad back and I can't stand bent
              over for more than a few seconds. BTW, a chair generally makes
              observing more pleasurable. Try it, you will like it. Dave

            • yooody@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
                Hi Buddy,

                I have at times used the 105, GR-DX on the Bogen 3036. I think
                this is pushing the tripod a bit. It is rated for 26 pounds and that
                setup is real close. If you want to observe near the zenith you
                either have to drop your chair very low or crank up the center post
                which decreases stability. Go with a heavier tripod.

                Marc Zukoff ---
                In tmboptical@y..., "Buddy" <maxwebhead@m...> wrote:
                > Hi Thomas ,Julie & everyone else
                > I have a TMB105 F/6
                > I have been using a GR2(APM) on a Baader/AP wooden Tripod. I want
                to put my
                > AP 130EDF Back on that tripod
                > ' Id like to mount the TMB on the GR2 with the Sanford -Davis
                (aluminum) from
                > AP . My question is this ,,, will it handle the weight, & stay
                pretty steady
                > for visual use only
                > I'm open for suggestion,, I can build my own tripod ,, but time
                doesn't
                > allow it at this point
                > Thanks in Advance
              • Larry Geary
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001

                  The Bogen I use is the 3036, ...

                  According to the catalog, my 3035 is a 3036 packaged with a 3047 head, but the tripod itself is the same. Mine is an old one and a bit loose in spots.

                  --Larry

                • Larry Geary
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
                    By the way, the D&S Model "A" is a) expensive ($300+ vs ~$150 for the Bogen) and b) requires an adapter to accept non D&S heads. But they do seem to make some sturdy products. Browsing their catalog, I see and "Astro 600 tripod" ($289) that may be exactly what AP uses and may not need an adapter. I also recognize a heavy duty pier that Questar sells for their 7" model, the "Folding Pier" ($715, rated at 150lbs). Check out http://www.tiffen.com and request a catalog.
                    I know the place well!!!,, Ill stop there on monday
                    Thanks

                  • Buddy

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1 3:05 AM
                          Hi all
                           thanks to Dave, Julie, Larry & Marc
                           I settled in a Bogen 3058,,

                          OT- is there a way to get rid of the Banner ads?
                          they wouldn't be so bad if they were astro oriented ,,, but these ones suck