Re: Best Wishes 2003

  • Randy Johnson <illuminetics@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
      Very nicely said Hans.

      ... and all the best to all of you in 2003.

      HAPPY NEW YEAR!

      Randy Johnson
      Eugene, Oregon, USA

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Winkelaar
      <hans.winkelaar@1...>" <hans.winkelaar@1...> wrote:
      > Best Wishes 2003
      >
      > Being Astronomer, Amateur, Professional, Hobbyist or Astro-pioneer.
      > Everyone, rich and poor, smart or wise, started equal on this
      planet.
      > Stars, Moon, Deep Sky Objects, their images did not change much
      last
      > year.
      > Together we can support and improve all things for the New Year.
      >
      > Winter in the Northern Hemisphere cause clear but icy cold nights.
      > Ice, snow and freezy nights will not keep us away form watching the
      > Universe.
      > Summer in the Southern Hemisphere brings grey, but warm nights.
      > Helping each other world-wide will increase this fantastic feeling
      of
      > the Universe.
      > Everyone helps everyone to enjoy astronomy and Sky Watching at
      nights.
      > Surely doors will open, now still closed, to reach and contact our
      > Universe.
      >
      > 2 (two) stars close together respect each other even being
      completely
      > different.
      > 0 (zero) collisions within a human lifetime between billions of
      stars.
      > 0 (zero) excuses for us, tiny Sky Watchers, to ignore the big
      harmony
      > in space.
      > 3 (three) ways to our goals: Standard ways, private ways and
      Together

    • j_bretes <j_bretes@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
        Best wishes for all of you and your family, happy new year 2003 and
        clear skies to all !!

        Hope one day we can make a big TMB party with all TMB members!!!

        José Paris/France

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Johnson

      • Larry Geary
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
          > Best wishes for all of you and your family, happy new year 2003 and
          > clear skies to all !!
          >
          > Hope one day we can make a big TMB party with all TMB members!!!
          >
          > José Paris/France

          FUNNY you should say that! I've been thinking, hmmm, here it is 2003 and
          Mars will be at its grand opposition this summer. And here we have a number
          of enthusiastic members with BIG TMB refractors. Wouldn't it be loverly if
          we could get together somewhere to view Mars?

          It would be really cool to descend on TMB's house, but the seeing up in his
          neighborhood may not be the best. The Florida Keys has great seeing, but it
          may be too crowded in the summer months. How about the Chiefland Astronomy
          Village? Or maybe the Lowell Star Party out in Arizona?

          Anyway, it's just a thought. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Who might be
          interested? Who's good at organizing?

          --Larry
        • Tube Tim <potentate@san.rr.com>
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Geary" <lgeary@f...> wrote:

            Happy new year all...

            The group is quiet today. Seems this happens around new moons a lot.

            > FUNNY you should say that! I've been thinking, hmmm, here it is
            > 2003 and Mars will be at its grand opposition this summer. And here
            > we have a number of enthusiastic members with BIG TMB refractors.
            > Wouldn't it be loverly if we could get together somewhere to view
            > Mars?

            Agreed!

            > It would be really cool to descend on TMB's house, but the seeing up
            > in his neighborhood may not be the best. The Florida Keys has great
            > seeing, but it may be too crowded in the summer months. How about
            > the Chiefland Astronomy Village? Or maybe the Lowell Star Party out
            > in Arizona?

            I'm not sure if these parts of AZ would be to hot in the summer or
            not. It would be nice to have a 9" or 10" out there but asking a lot.
            Not sure if a 7" would qualify as a large one, but if this is held
            somewhat near So. Cal, I'd be willing to haul mine out.

            > Anyway, it's just a thought. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Who might
            > be interested? Who's good at organizing?

            I'm interested for one.

            > --Larry

            Tim
          • Randy Johnson <illuminetics@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
              The "First Annual TMB Star Party"? Count me in! AZ sounds good to me.

              I'm planning on making the trek to the WSP this year. Anyone else?
              Maybe we could meet at the big TMB (Ganymede, anyone?) and plan our
              event. Sounds like FUN.

              Randy Johnson
              Eugene, Oregon, USA

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim <potentate@s...>"
              <potentate@s...> wrote:
              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Geary" <lgeary@f...>
              wrote:

              > Happy new year all...
              >
              > The group is quiet today. Seems this happens around new moons a
              lot.

              > > FUNNY you should say that! I've been thinking, hmmm, here it is
              > > 2003 and Mars will be at its grand opposition this summer. And
              here
              > > we have a number of enthusiastic members with BIG TMB refractors.
              > > Wouldn't it be loverly if we could get together somewhere to view
              > > Mars?
              > >

              > Agreed!
              >
              > > It would be really cool to descend on TMB's house, but the seeing
              up
              > > in his neighborhood may not be the best. The Florida Keys has
              great
              > > seeing, but it may be too crowded in the summer months. How about
              > > the Chiefland Astronomy Village? Or maybe the Lowell Star Party
              out
              > > in Arizona?
              > >

              > I'm not sure if these parts of AZ would be to hot in the summer or
              > not. It would be nice to have a 9" or 10" out there but asking a
              lot.
              > Not sure if a 7" would qualify as a large one, but if this is held
              > somewhat near So. Cal, I'd be willing to haul mine out.
              >
              > > Anyway, it's just a thought. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Who
              might
              > > be interested? Who's good at organizing?
              > >

              > I'm interested for one.
              >
              > > --Larry
              >

              > Tim
            • Mike C
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                Definitely not Alaska...

                "Over here you'll see Vega.. and (spinning around)... and Vega is high in
                the South. Did you see Vega?"

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Mike,

                  From my location at 44N 124W, Vega crosses the Meridian about 5
                  degrees south of zenith at 12 noon - about the same RA as our sun. It
                  rises about 2:30 am and sets around 9 pm. I haven't seen ANY stars
                  for a month due to all these clouds... but the skiing's been
                  fantastic!

                  Randy

                • jamesw767 <jamesw767@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                    AZ sounds good.

                  • Mark Rieck <derklaus@cableone.net>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                      Bear in mind that the best time to view Mars during the '03
                      apparition will be July-August for the US. Here in Arizona that is
                      the height of our annual monsoon season. Even if the daily showers
                      would not arrive, Mars will only top out at ~42* alt in mid July, and
                      be even lower than that during it's peak size in mid to late August.
                      The best show will be given to our good friends in the Southern
                      Hemishphere.

                      If you've ever contemplated that astro vacation to see the Southern
                      skies for yourself, '03 would be the time to do it. First half of
                      September in Australia/New Zealand looks prime for English speaking
                      nations. Mars will peak out at it's greatest angular size late in
                      late August and make ~70* alt. by mid-Sept. I'll either be here
                      wishing my observing field was filled with TMB's, or I'll be in
                      Auckland having a cup of coffee.

                      Mark
                    • Daniel Verschatse <antilhue@adsl.tie.cl>
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2003
                        Hi group,

                        FWIW: For those considering a trip to the southern hemisphere for the
                        upcoming Mars opposition please also review this option:

                        As of June 2003 we should have a guest observatory (with top notch
                        instruments )operating at 1500m (5000 ft)amsl within line of sight
                        of Tololo and Gemini Observatories at latitude -30.

                        If you're interested, please contact me off-list.

                        Daniel Verschatse
                        Santiago - Chile

                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rieck <derklaus@c...>"
                        <derklaus@c...> wrote:
                        > Bear in mind that the best time to view Mars during the '03
                        > apparition will be July-August for the US. Here in Arizona that is
                        > the height of our annual monsoon season. Even if the daily showers
                        > would not arrive, Mars will only top out at ~42* alt in mid July,
                        and
                        > be even lower than that during it's peak size in mid to late
                        August.
                        > The best show will be given to our good friends in the Southern
                        > Hemishphere.
                        >
                        > If you've ever contemplated that astro vacation to see the Southern
                        > skies for yourself, '03 would be the time to do it. First half of
                        > September in Australia/New Zealand looks prime for English speaking
                        > nations. Mars will peak out at it's greatest angular size late in
                        > late August and make ~70* alt. by mid-Sept. I'll either be here
                        > wishing my observing field was filled with TMB's, or I'll be in
                        > Auckland having a cup of coffee.
                        >
                        > Mark
                      • Lawrence M. Geary
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2003
                          I will conclude the poll on interest in Monocentric eyepieces Friday
                          evening and turn over any results to Tom and Markus. Anyone who would
                          still like to express an interest can vote until then.

                          --Larry