Saturn and M1

  • jimhp29401us <thefamily90@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
      Saturn and M1 were both visible in the same FOV in my 8" F/9 TMB last
      night using a 31mm Nagler. M1 is a faint wispy glow while Saturn is
      fairly bright. Take a look if you get a chance. It's worth the view,

      Jim
    • John Ford <jsf@kc.rr.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
        I caught them as well with the TMB152 and N31T5 eyepiece. A sight to
        remember! The O3 filter dims Saturn and brightens M1 a little. It
        will be interesting to see if M1 completely washes out M1 when it
        passes over/near it shortly.

        John

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "jimhp29401us <thefamily90@h...>"

      • ew_baumgartner <malkasten@sprynet.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2002
          We caught the spectacle, too, in our TMB 130 on Sunday-Monday night,
          using a 19 mm Panoptic. The two were 27 arcminutes apart, and on
          virtually the same line of declination. Unfortunately, the weather
          reports for Connecticut over the next few nights don't look
          promising, so we won't be able to see when the glare of Saturn
          overwhelms the faint fuzziness of the Crab. On that night, however,
          seeing the two in the same FOV was easy.

          A very memorable view, to be sure!

          Eric Baumgartner

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "John Ford <jsf@k...>" <jsf@k...>

        • ej1847 <ericj@fiam.net>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2003
            Hi Jim:

            > Saturn and M1 were both visible in the same FOV in my 8" F/9 TMB
            >last night using a 31mm Nagler. M1 is a faint wispy glow while
            > Saturn is fairly bright. Take a look if you get a chance. It's
            >worth the view,

            Agreed. I followed it for several nights in late December but it has
            been cloudy since then. Did you get to see Saturn transit the nebula?

            I make a sketch of Saturn and M1 back in late December. M1 appeared
            relatively bright, with an irregular shape to it and diffuse near the
            edge, with a slightly brighter inner portion that resembled a Z
            shape. The nebula appears light green in color. Saturn showed a light
            yellow Equatorial Zone, a tan South Tropical Zone, and a green South
            Polar Region. The Cassini Division was visible on both ansae and in
            front of the globe, as was the Crepe Ring, although these features do
            not show up well in the sketch when it was scanned in. Four moons
            were visible nearby including Titan, Tethys, Dione, and Rhea.

            The sketch is at:

            http://home.fiam.net/ericj/m1_saturn.html

            Clear Skies,

            Eric Jamison
          • jimhp29401us <thefamily90@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2003
              -Hello Eric,
              That's a Great drawing! Very much like the view I had with my 8"
              TMB. Excellent! I observed last night and tonight and, of course,
              kept thinking I might be seeing something but was never quite sure.
              Seeing was very bad last night and only fair tonight. But, it's nice
              getting outside with my telescopes. Thanks for sharing that drawing
              of Saturn and M1. It's very nice.

              Jim

            • tmboptical <TMBoptical@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2003
                Hi Eric,

                Excellent drawing. It is always a pleasure to see your high
                definition drawings.

                Thomas

                > > > Saturn and M1 were both visible in the same FOV in my 8" F/9
                > > TMB last night using a 31mm Nagler. M1 is a faint wispy glow
                > > while
                > > > Saturn is fairly bright. Take a look if you get a chance. It's
                > > >worth the view,
                > >
                > > Agreed. I followed it for several nights in late December but it
                > has
                > > been cloudy since then. Did you get to see Saturn transit the
                > nebula?
                > >
                > > I make a sketch of Saturn and M1 back in late December. M1
                appeared
                > > relatively bright, with an irregular shape to it and diffuse near
                > the
                > > edge, with a slightly brighter inner portion that resembled a Z
                > > shape. The nebula appears light green in color. Saturn showed a
                > light
                > > yellow Equatorial Zone, a tan South Tropical Zone, and a green
                > South
                > > Polar Region. The Cassini Division was visible on both ansae and
                in
                > > front of the globe, as was the Crepe Ring, although these
                features
                > do
                > > not show up well in the sketch when it was scanned in. Four moons
                > > were visible nearby including Titan, Tethys, Dione, and Rhea.
                > >
                > > The sketch is at:
                > >
                > > http://home.fiam.net/ericj/m1_saturn.html
                > >
                > > Clear Skies,
                > >
                > > Eric Jamison
              • Eric W. Baumgartner
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
                  Hi, Eric:

                  Very nice sketch! We viewed Saturn and the Crab in the same FOV of a 19 mm Panopotic on the night of December 29-30, at 1:30 a.m. (06:30 UT). Titan sat just 27 arc minutes due east of the Crab's center. It was truly breathtaking. Unfortunately, its been overcast for the last three nights here in Connecticut, so I haven't had an opportunity to view it again. We had wanted to see the "annular occultation" of the Crab by Titan last evening (January 5), as the moon was to track across the Crab for five hours, but instead watched the snow fall from the sky. Did anyone else catch it?

                  Have you been viewing any of the mutual events of Jupiter's moons this season? On the same night of our viewing of Saturn and the Crab, we watched Europa occult Ganymede. It was cool to see when we could begin to resolve the two moons again with the seeing conditions at our site. There are lots more of these so-called mutual events coming up this season. Check out the article in the December issue of "Sky & Telescope," pp. 100-02.

                  Clear Skies,

                  Eric Baumgartner

                  > Saturn and M1 were both visible in the same FOV in my 8" F/9 TMB
                  >last night using a 31mm Nagler. M1 is a faint wispy glow while
                  > Saturn is fairly bright. Take a look if you get a chance. It's
                  >worth the view,

                  Agreed. I followed it for several nights in late December but it has
                  been cloudy since then. Did you get to see Saturn transit the nebula?

                  I make a sketch of Saturn and M1 back in late December. The sketch is at:

                  http://home.fiam.net/ericj/m1_saturn.html

                  Clear Skies,

                  Eric Jamison

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • ericj
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
                    Thanks Jim, Thomas, and Eric for the kind words about the sketch. I observed
                    Saturn and M1 for several nights before making the sketch as I needed to
                    have them close enough so I could use high enough magnification to show some
                    detail in both objects. I used 16mm Nagler Type 5 and 12mm Nagler Type 4
                    (magnification 68x-91x) for the sketch. The biggest problem was recording
                    the detail on Saturn: I had to sketch Saturn small in order for the scale to
                    be correct relative to M1. There was a lot more detail visible on the planet
                    than I could accurately show. M1 showed a bit more detail than I expected.
                    When I sketch I try not to have any preconcieved notions of what to expect,
                    just try to keep an open mind and accurately record the detail.

                    >Have you been viewing any of the mutual events of Jupiter's moons this
                    season?

                    I have seen a few and you are right they are neat to observe. The weather
                    hasn't been very cooperative so I haven't seen as many as I planned to.
                    Hopefully things will improve as we get closer to Jupiter's opposition next
                    month.

                    Thanks again and Clear Skies,

                    Eric