Lightweight 100/800 First Light

  • Rui Tripa
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      Ok, people, to change the mood of the group, here's a First Light report (sort of...) of the 100/800
      TMB with the new Lightweight tube and Feathertouch focuser.

      First of all, let me state that I sell TMB products in Portugal, as well as other brands, so my
      opinion on this is worth what its worth.

      Aesthetics and functionality: This new tube neither is beautiful nor it's ugly, and you get a
      neutral feeling in this area. By contrast, Tele Vue tubes are much more pleasing (IMO) in this
      regard. However, I've found it extremely functional, with good fit and finish. The finder bracket
      could be better, tough.

      Optical performance: Well, weather didn't cooperate long enough for a good test (we had an hour of
      cloudless sky), and I didn't had the Everbrite diagonal with me (don't ask...), but, when coupled
      with the 3-6 Nagler Zoom, the moon was breathtaking, even low in the sky (that was clearly a 8-9/10
      seeing condition...). However, as soon as the moon got higher, clouds got us! Clouds everywhere!
      Damn, I hate when this happens...
      Anyway, it shouldn't be any different form other units reviewed elsewhere.

      Focuser: Now wait! Where the hell have you been all these years, baby?! This is THE focuser. We've
      all heard about how smooth a focuser can be, bla, bla, bla... But this one, man oh man... the word
      smooth is not good enough. It's the smoothest, most precise focuser, that I've ever seen. Period.
      End of Review. (where did I heard this before... ;-)
      No kidding, this focuser is something everybody should lay his hands on. It really makes focusing a
      pleasure.

      Overall: If you pick a nice tube, some very good lens, and an awesome focuser, mix it all up, and
      end with a excellent, very portable telescope. The difference in price for the CNC version isn't
      very significative (at least in Europe), but the huge difference in weight (4.9kg vs 9.3kg) makes
      this new tube an option to consider seriously.

      Ok guys, that's all for now.

      Clear skies,

      Rui Tripa
    • phbjr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
        In a message dated 9/30/02 7:41:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        rtripa@... writes:

        << Ok guys, that's all for now.

        Thanks, Rui, you just vindicated my "sight unseen" choice of this
        telescope.

        Paul Bock
        Hamilton, VA USA
        http://hometown.aol.com/phbjr/myhomepage/profile.html

      • Rui Tripa
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          You're wellcome Paul. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with this tube. Let us know your impressions when
          you receive it.

          Clear skies,

          Rui Tripa